Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times

Advertisements

Fairfax County, Virginia is the wealthiest county in America, which makes it the wealthiest place in the world thanks to all those federal government jobs payed for by the taxes payed by everyone else across the country. Comparing that county of over a million people to anywhere else in America, and certainly to towns of 15,000 people, is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 AM

27 posts, read 99,835 times
I fear we digress. We went from discussing the beautiful towns, good people and so forth to how poor the school system is and how ignorant the children are. I have found that just a little parental involvement goes a long way and this is true in any state. I've lived in a couple of states and have seen high school graduates who couldn't read a map or read very well at all for all that matter. Maybe there are more pockets of poverty in MS, I don't know but that doesn't take away from all the good there is.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Fairfax County, Virginia is the wealthiest county in America, which makes it the wealthiest place in the world thanks to all those federal government jobs payed for by the taxes payed by everyone else across the country. Comparing that county of over a million people to anywhere else in America, and certainly to towns of 15,000 people, is ridiculous.

Actually, Loudoun County, Virginia, is #1. Fairfax fell to #2, but your point is still valid. America's 25 Richest Counties - 1. County: Loudoun County, Va. - Forbes.com

Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM

121 posts, read 221,291 times
Default Sounds like a great place to retire?

We live in the midwest (Ozarks), but want to move farther south. Mississippi is sounding wonderful for retirement. Is healthcare, in general a problem?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
We live in the midwest (Ozarks), but want to move farther south. Mississippi is sounding wonderful for retirement. Is healthcare, in general a problem?
No, not in most places.
NE Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo is huge. One of our biggest employers, in fact. Can't speak for the rest of the state. Maybe someone else will. Maybe the link below will answer some specific question.
North Mississippi Medical Center :: Home

BTW....We are retired. We live in an average sort of 170,000 home and because of over-65 tax breaks our property taxes are 900/year. Last week I enjoyed another day of snow. Today I worked in the yard in 65 degree temperature & blue skies......I'm telling ya, the place ain't half bad.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
As mentioned above, NE Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo has some good doctors. They also have a really nice woman's hospital. And they are constantly adding on to the buildings. People drive from all over the state to be seen in Tupelo.

Healthcare in the Delta is awful. When we lived there, everyone drove either to Jackson, Tupelo, or Memphis for medical care. It's really that bad.

I don't know anything about healthcare on the coast.

Mississippi is a great place to retire!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Beach Ball, you are a fabulous addition to our forum. We had a long run of very constructive and largely uplifting discussions over the last year or so; unfortunately for you you joined at a time when a few needlessly negative posters joined on.

I loved the comment about it being 65 degrees today and out in the yard. Hallelujah. You've got to love it.

Someone asked about healthcare. Your larger cities are going to have the biggest hospitals, which means Jackson, DeSoto County, Tupelo, Hattiesburg, Meridian, and the Coast. Most places in Mississippi are within an hour of so of those places with a few exceptions here and there.

In previous posts I've mentioned Cat Island which is about 7 miles off the Coast from Long Beach. For a while they were running a ferry out there on weekends from around May through September like they do to Ship Island.

The cool thing is that the boat could only get within about 30 yards of the beach, so you had to walk through the ocean (about ankle deep) to get to the beach. And the beach side really faces kind of southeast with the island shaped like a T. The side of the T if you will, is more like the bay side with the Mississippi Sound side to the north. I was there in early May and I can't describe just how picture perfect it was. About 82 degrees, warm and windy, lots of boaters out there anchored right off the beach and miles of unspoiled beach, sand dunes, inlets, wildlife, etc.

I know they have charter boats out to Horn Island which has the huge sand dunes. That's on my list to do some day, and then come back to shore and have seafood and cold beer at the restaurant overlooking the Pass Christian marina. Literally the atmosphere cannot be beat in this world.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM

99 posts, read 188,765 times
Jewels of MS:

Clear Springs Recreational Area (Between Natchez and Brookhaven off Hwy 84) - If you can find a nicer/more beautiful park in MS let me know.

Roosevelt State Park - One of my favorite State parks in MS.

Holmes County State Park - Beautiful lake with a nice ridge on one side.

Golden Memorial - What a calm/peaceful park way off the beaten path.

Shongalo - Near Mize/Raleigh. A little slice of heaven.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agradywills View Post
Jewels of MS:

Shongalo - Near Mize/Raleigh. A little slice of heaven.

Hmmm, I was just in Mize last month and I didn't know about this park - my boyfriend didn't mention it. I'll ask him about it and check it out when I come down again in March!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM

Another cool spot in Mississippi is the Clark Creek Natural Area, in the far southwest corner of the state in Wilkinson County south of Natchez. There are trails amid steep, thickly wooded hills, ferns, and waterfalls. Another spot I like is Percy Quinn State Park right there in McComb. One nice thing is that it's basically right there on the edge of town. There is a residential area of big 3 to 5 acre, wooded, rolling lots just across the street from the park entrance.

As you drive in, you come to the golf course which is pretty cool-looking amid the rolling hills and thick forests. Further in is a nice lake for fishing, boating, walking, running, and picnicking.

Up in Jackson, two amazing spots are the Jackson Yacht Club, with an amazing spot perched above the Ross Barnett Reservoir with a big deck, bar, and pool area right over the water. Just up from there is Lost Rabbit, a very expensive but picturesque community right, smack on the water. Really amazing, with the fancy condos, marina and big homes replicating historic coastal architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi