U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times

Advertisements

I love Mississippi, in so many ways.

On this post, I would enjoy hearing what things people truly love about Mississippi.

I will start: crisp winter weather amid 400 miles of woodlands, a lovely mix of pines and oaks interlaced with farms, creeks, hills and rivers.

I also love the people. Small towns and countryside, kind people and a comfortable mix of all types, churches, and lots of open space.

I love the historic architecture, and I especially adore the exquisite coastal islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM

30 posts, read 51,621 times
I've never been to Mississippi. But from what I hear, it is at the bottom for economic revenue and yet the highest for charitable contributions. Where I come from that means that people in Mississippi 'give' till it hurts - sounds like a state for hospitable and nice people.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,879 times
Just as an outsider who spent a few days there:

I love the Natchez Trace Parkway from Vicksburg all the way down to Louisiana.

I love the way Natchez looks in the summertime.

I love the scenic woodlands and swamplands of southern Mississippi.

I loved the intact Antebellum antiqueness of Natchez.

I loved the Spanish Moss and Kudzu vines hanging off centuries old houses and moss hanging off the power lines and telephone poles and oak trees!

I love Vicksburg National Battlefield and being there on the anniversary of the battles.

I love the fact that 3 of my favorite singers came from there, Elvis, Tammy Wynette and Charley Pride.

I love the retro feeling you get by passing into the state.

I love the waves you get on the highway.

I love learning the Civil War history behind it.

I love the fact that I loved so much that I want to see the rest of it!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,430,570 times
I've only passed through once (on my way from Houston to Cincinnati) but it was a very friendly and welcoming place, the people just came off as genuinely nice and down to earth. I'm looking at Mississippi State for grad school, so maybe I'll end up there sometime...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM

76 posts, read 88,622 times
MISSISSIPPI...HOW I LOVE YOU SO...

I love being able to walk out of a beach front condo, stroll down a palm tree lined beach, and enter into a world class resort with headliner entertainment and being able to leave my contribution, and walk home on that same beach with the MOST INCREDIBLE SUNSETS BAR NONE!

I love the feeling I get when I cross over the state line in DeSoto County heading for the coast...
the air even smells better, I also love the sound when my tires go over the bridges all along I-55, its a noise I only hear in MS.

I love taking a horse drawn carriage through Natchez and seeing my favorite style of house...pillar houses...or aka Antebellum Homes. I also love dining in Natchez under the Hill, and listening to a paddle wheeler take off from dock blowing its horn...Natchez is by far one of the most mystical and romantic cities ever...love it, love it, love it!

I love being so close...anywhere in the state practically, to my favorite dining spots...
Sonic and Waffle House...the finest in dining, next to, of course, an old southern diner that
may serve the worst-for-you-in-the-world Soul food...but at least I will die happy! Give me
grits, gumbo, shrimp, jambalaya and just about anything fried...yummy, and so good for you too!

I love the weather, year round...its so much better than Wisconsin. Like I say...I'll always take
white sand and palm trees over white snow and pine trees...anyday!

I love how it rains in MS. Which of course, it never does...it pours, it drenches, everything floods, the
thunder and lightening...it just great!

I love the states variety of topography...but mostly, I like that fact that there is water...everywhere...at least in Southern MS. Its amazing taking off from Gulfport/Biloxi International, all you see is water, water and more water...and I'm not just talking about the Gulf of Mexico.

I love the golf courses, some of the finest in the country, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to play there either.

I love the women, so incredibly charming and drop dead gorgeous...at least most of them. I also love
the states refinement and sophistication in the Arts and its contributions to the literary world...MS would put most states to shame in this department. Can't wait to see the International Ballet Competition when it returns to Jackson!

I love the fact that our state, for good or for bad, tends to illicit an opinion from just about everybody.
How many people really talk about North Dakota? The controversies and contradictions that are MS really get me going!

I love the alligators and snakes; but just from afar, along with Dolphins and Sea Rays; its neat to have all of them living with us!

I love the manners and genuine concern of others here in MS. Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am. HUMAN KINDNESS AND GOOD MANNERS ARE ALWAYS IN STYLE, and are still alive and well in good ol' Miss.

I've always said that MS is more of a feeling for me, I just tend to feel better here than anywhere else. Its almost like a relief when I arrive...can't really fully explain it, but I don't feel it in the other 48 states I've been to. People are always puzzled by the fact that I love MS so much; like I say...whats not to love? Some people just don't get it I guess.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

27 posts, read 89,748 times
This is Great! Keep it going as it's also very informative as well as uplifiting.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:36 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,585,088 times
I live in Tupelo. A few weeks ago we got 8 inches of snow. It was great! We all enjoyed it, took a couple of days off, and watched it melt.

Today (Feb 8) I spent the afternoon quietly working in the backyard. I noticed an inordinate number of Robins this year and heard two woodpeckers calling back and forth. The two dogs basked in the sunshine; Morgan was only partially awake; Molly completely out of it. Soil is soft and I noticed the moles were making the best of it.
I took some of the low hanging branches off the apple tree; they irritated me last year when I was mowing. Pear tree will be OK the way it is.

It was 50 degrees. Sunny. Maybe a little more snow tomorrow, they say.

My wife made egg rolls for our Super Bowl party. We saved some for our daughter who is a teacher and I took a few minutes to drop them off at her school. There was a young black student - about 11 years old, I'd guess - waiting in the office when I walked in. He called me "Sir". And grinned when I called him "sir".

I love Mississippi.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM

478 posts, read 721,425 times
90% of the state is great, just don't move to the Delta.

most folks are well mannered, at least those of us old enough to have been taught manners by a grandmother or great grandmother wearing a thimble on her thumb(think i still have knots on my head).

folks will go out of their way to help you out, as pointed out before this is the most generous state in the nation.

small town living is good. i have neighbors who watch out for me and mine. a few years back my wife's uncle borrowed one of my tractors. when he was returning it he was trying to open my shop to put it inside. a neighbor saw this and called the SO. at teh same tiem a deputy was driving by and saw him. he pulled up and held him at gunpoint until he called me on my cell. the funny thing was my wife's uncle was in his POLICE UNIFORM.

the hunting and fishing can't be beat, though public hunting land has shrunken drastically over the last 10-20 years.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
I've always loved how close Louisiana and Mississippi are. I love the hills and the scenery. I love Hollandale. I love Mississippi as a whole, beautiful state with beautiful people.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times
Wow, amazing posts!!!

Some places I love in Mississippi:
- Bay St. Louis, perched up where the bay curves around to the beach, charming, artsy, perfect lifestyle
- Pass Christian - Those mansions overlooking the beach, wow.
- Ocean Springs - gorgeous, period.
- Cat Island - huge, pristine beach, absolutely exquisite
- Natchez - wow, those antebellum homes surrounded by lush rolling forests and downtown perched above the huge Mississippi River
- Oxford - Sophisticated
- Strong River - memories of childhood playing in the rapids
- Cypress trees lining the lush bayous criscrossing the Delta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi