U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,607,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
They're going to put the man on the license plate because he was a Confederate general, not because he was affiliated with the KKK. As for MS's state flag, I don't think that should be changed either. Other states were pressured into changing their flags but I don't think we should change history. The Confederate flag is part of the Southern history and I hope it stays. Conclusion: They should allow the license plate and honor him as a Confederate General. Martin Luther King Jr has his own national holiday even though he was a known Communist, frequent user of prostitutes and a woman beater but that is not how we honor him. I say the same should go for Forrest, unless we're to be hypocritical...
With all due respect--you woud have to have lived in a tree and be functioning in an alternate universe to not get the implication for Ms if this should actually happen. All the good things down the drain--more announcing to the world that we are stupid, oblivious, and out of touch. So honor the man by having a list of confederate generals with some publication and bio. The license plate should only be for those with "clean hands". The Klan is not a worthy organization even in the context of the times. Already somebody has pounced on it in this forum and "wants to know" about it. We do indeed have idiots living here--like the person proposing this nitwit idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

13,344 posts, read 8,417,098 times
I am only a casual historian, and did not know much about Nathan Bedford Forrest.

So I looked him up.

The first bio gave no mention of his being involved with the KKK.

The second said:
Quote:
After the Civil War, Forrest lent his name to a group of enforcers of the Democratic Party known as the Ku Klux Klan. Disenchanted with the activities of the group he ordered it to disband in 1869, which did not happen. The Klan and Forrest went separate ways......
Doesn't seem like all that big a deal to me.

Except he was from Tennessee. How'd we get him??!!

And some of the remarks are kind of funny..."Forrest, a Tennessee native known for leading the 1864 massacre of black Union troops..............
Well now, imagine that. He attacked and killed a bunch on Union Troops, every one of which would have enjoyed killing him!

Just another biased reporter, it seems to me.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM

22 posts, read 36,896 times
We all know its wrong to celebrate white american history.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM

77 posts, read 246,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white69mach1 View Post

amen brother

Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM

12,089 posts, read 18,268,404 times
LOL...this is political correctness gone wild. I know that doomed the confederate flag, but now we are going for individual confederate generals? Forrest has a checkered past, slave holder, in charge during the incident at Fort Pillow, arguably one of the first leaders of the KKK, later denounced their methods of violence. He is also probably one of the best generals that the US ever produced, particularly from a background area not schooled in the ways of warfare. You take the good with the bad. Kennedy was a womanizer, Grant was a anti-semite and had a drinking problem at times. That's history for you. We don't celebrate Kenney on a stamp for boinking Marylyn Monroe, we celebrate him being a president. We don't celebrate Forrest for being a slaveholder (as were about 80% of our presidents before 1860), we celebrate him for being a leader of men and strategist in time of battle.

Memphis, 90% black in population, black mayor, black politicians - has a General Bedford Forrest City Park. Ironic that the press hasn't picked up on that, wouldn't you say? There are parks named after him, roads named after him, schools named after him, hospitals named after him.

Now, do we have better more important subjects to discuss?

Last edited by Dd714; 02-15-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,098,735 times
The Klan and all these other white supremacist groups can just go screw off. They give Euro-Americans a bad rep, and they only exacerbate the stereotype that whites are the only race capable of being racist.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white69mach1 View Post
People should know that white American history isn't all about slavery and oppression. I'm just throwing this out there, and I hope others understand.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Memphis, 90% black in population, black mayor, black politicians - has a General Bedford Forrest City Park. Ironic that the press hasn't picked up on that, wouldn't you say? There are parks named after him, roads named after him, schools named after him, hospitals named after him.

Now, do we have better more important subjects to discuss?
Actually, Memphis is about 61% black. According to census estimates, Memphis is 60.8% black, 33.3% white, 5.2% Hispanic, and 1.7% Asian.

Source

I like stats.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM

By they way, you PC nuts, from a quick search there is:
- at least one Forrest Hospital in Haittesburg
- A Forrest hight school in Florida (half the school is black)
- a TOWN called Forrest in Arkansas
- A Forrest State Park (in addition to the aforementioned Forrest City Park).
- There was (is?) a WW2 TN Army Base named after him
- There are 32 historical state markers in TN devoted to him
- There is a monument to Forrest in Selma Alabama that reads this "Defender of Selma, Wizard of the Saddle, Untutored Genius, The first with the most. This monument stands as testament of our perpetual devotion and respect for Lieutenant General Nathan Bedford Forrest. CSA 1821-1877, one of the south's finest heroes. In honor of Gen. Forrest's unwavering defense of Selma, the great state of Alabama, and the Confederacy, this memorial is dedicated. DEO VINDICE"
- A TN State University has an ROTC building named after him.

That's what I can find from a quick search. Looks like you PC crazies are going to be busy.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
The Klan and all these other white supremacist groups can just go screw off. They give Euro-Americans a bad rep, and they only exacerbate the stereotype that whites are the only race capable of being racist.
OK, I think they did about 40 years ago. You probably want to take a time machine back to the 60's, or wake up from the rock you been hiding in for the last couple decades. The white supremecist have moved - you might find them in, ohhh, Idaho? This isn't about racism, it is about sensitivities maybe, Mostly the article seems to be more about politics, as in - who will be running for president next year.
Somone just launched a preemptive strike. Good political manuevre, bad for truth and reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi