U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

688 posts, read 2,925,433 times

Advertisements

We just moved to north Mississippi and our home is like most in the area - without a basement.

I've always lived with a basement and this is new to me.

Anyway, I have quite an unhealthy anxiety about tornadoes and I'm wondering - how do you protect yourself during a storm? I know that the traditional advice is to go to in interior room, like a bathroom, and climb into the bathtub. But seriously - from the homes I've seen leveled, I can't imagine that would really help that much.

And, reading recent articles like this has me a little freaked out:
Severe Weather Outbreak Ahead? - weather.com

Any advice?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,545,178 times
I don't know where you are in MS, but in many areas, the groundwater levels are high. Your basement wouldn't be much good to you if it flooded. We always went into closets when storms came through. If you're very concerned, you could look into building an outdoor cellar. You can waterproof it and rig it with electric. My grandfather did this in OK. My mom said the cellar was nicer than the house!

Last edited by peppermint; 02-22-2011 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM

352 posts, read 728,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
We just moved to north Mississippi and our home is like most in the area - without a basement.

I've always lived with a basement and this is new to me.

Anyway, I have quite an unhealthy anxiety about tornadoes and I'm wondering - how do you protect yourself during a storm? I know that the traditional advice is to go to in interior room, like a bathroom, and climb into the bathtub. But seriously - from the homes I've seen leveled, I can't imagine that would really help that much.

And, reading recent articles like this has me a little freaked out:
Severe Weather Outbreak Ahead? - weather.com

Any advice?

So funny you posted this because I'm afraid of tornadoes too! I'll be moving to Smith County by the end of the year, which, according to the National Weather Service, is the most dangerous county in the country for major tornadoes.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,640,287 times
There are a few companies that will install a tornado shelter in your garage. They dig through the concrete and install a metal box. During normal days, you park your car on top of it. When bad weather comes, you make sure the car is positioned so you can hide in the shelter. Google "ground zero storm shelter".

Most of us just take cover in an interior closet. That will save you in all but the worst storms.

Get a weather radio so that you don't sleep through a warning. I picked up a programmable one that I set for warnings and specific counties only. I don't want it going off all of the time. On the other hand, last May it went off about 20 times over a weekend. I've also watched Storm Track radar on TV where rotation was guaranteed on the ground and headed for my house. It passed to the south of me.

The last thing to remember is keep your ID on you during the storm. It makes it easier to identify your body.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 PM

501 posts, read 835,854 times
here in the Delta the ground water level can be less than 12" down during winter/spring, thus basements are rare. if the area you are in has been hit by tornadoes in recent years, check with the local emergency management office and see if grants are still available. they will pay for a large portion of the cost of a safe room or in ground storm shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi