U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,857 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family is considering moving to Mississippi, near the Starkville area. I am trying to find out what general pros and cons we should consider and what things would be "culture shock" type differences or things we wouldn't expect since we've always lived in MI.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,081,171 times
Well, you're going to need to be more specific. You haven't given us any information about you, your family, or your life in Michigan. All I can tell you based on the above information is that it's miserably hot from May to September, but the winters will be considerable mild for you.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM

4,277 posts, read 4,061,789 times
If you are moving from rural MI then the culture change won't be as drastic as if you are moving from metro Detroit.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,005 times
You're saying that you are considering a move "near" Starkville, which makes me supect you might perhaps be considering job in a company near the Columbus airport which is about 15 minutes east of Starkville. In any event, if you live in Starkville itself there will be lots of people who work for the university, which means people from all over the world. Beyond that, it's definitely contemporary with lots of nice new subdivisions and feels plenty safe and clean. Starkville has about 25,000 people, large enough for normal stores like Home Depot, Wal Mart, Kroger, etc. Neighboring Columbus has additional normal stores you would find at the mall. You have year-round SEC college athletics, a beautiful rec center and huge on-campus Barnes and Noble bookstore at Mississippi State and a number of unique and charming restaurants in the downtown main street area and near the university. If schools are a concern, there are two private schools in Starkville and one in Columbus, as well as public schools to consider in Starkville and the 3 neighboring counties about a 20 minute drive away,depending on what you are most comfortable with. The surrounding area is rural, with farmland to the east and heavily wooded areas to the west. Jackson is a quick 2-hour drive south and Tuscaloosa (Univ of Alabama) 1.5 hours east and Birmingham 2.5 hours, and Memphis 2.5 hours north. Think of it as a properous small town in a rural area that happens to have a big university there.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 PM

13,439 posts, read 8,461,265 times
If you're from the rural part of MI, you're going to fit right in!
Heck, if you're from Detroit, you'll probably fit in.

Only thing is, we're going to sound a little funny (actually, it's you!), and you'll think you're gonna die from the heat that first year. But you'll be ringing cowbells and hollerin' with the rest of us before you know it!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM

473 posts, read 717,455 times
you can't buy beer on Sundays unless you drive over to Columbus.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
you can't buy beer on Sundays unless you drive over to Columbus.
Yes, and don't forget Protestant churches on every corner, terrible radio stations, no malls, lots of college kids and less-than-impressive libraries (except MSU's - it's pretty good).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,857 times
Default More info

Thanks so much for all the info so far! Sorry I didn't give much info about me the first post. I didn't think about how much it could help. My husband hopes to eventually minister full-time at a church, but for now he is/has worked in maintainance, constriction, window cleaning and management and volunteers at church. I am a stay-at-home mom, and our daughter will turn one this week. Some of my family is planning to move to the Starkville area to take over a business, and we are considering joining the "migration." I am hoping to live somewhere were I can raise some small livestock and a few veggies. I like to think I'm a farmer.

Do you ever get used to the summer heat?

Area there many 2nd - hand shops, thrift stores that are good for "treasure hunting" around the area?

What industries / businesses make up the majority of the economy in MS?

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM

473 posts, read 717,455 times
as to the heat, no you will probably never fully acclimate. even us natives have hard times with it. we learn to get up early and get out of the heat by shortly after noon. then finish up outside after 5 or so in the evenings.

if you want to treasure hunt, you have to attend the flea markets. there are a few 1x a month markets in that area. most 2nd hand stores are only going to have clothing or newer furniture/goods.

as far as the economy, in that area you have the college/funiture factories/agricultural/air base. other than that it is basically normal businesses.

you should not have a problem buying/renting a rural home with a couple acres or so, there are plenty in the area. keep in mind that for US a long commute is 15 minutes from home to work. so if you are willing to drive that or more daily, then i know you can easily find a place out in the county or a nearby county. property taxes are cheap, but if you drive a newer car be prepared for car registration shock, especially if you live in town. my mom's 2009 Chrysler Aspen registration was about 700.00 this year, she lives in town in Greenville and 400.00 of the tag was Greenville's portion of the fee. my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 costs me 100.00 this year, but i live in the county so no city fees. each county varies on the tag costs, but should be within 50.00 of neighboring counties.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMississippi View Post
Thanks so much for all the info so far! Sorry I didn't give much info about me the first post. I didn't think about how much it could help. My husband hopes to eventually minister full-time at a church, but for now he is/has worked in maintainance, constriction, window cleaning and management and volunteers at church. I am a stay-at-home mom, and our daughter will turn one this week. Some of my family is planning to move to the Starkville area to take over a business, and we are considering joining the "migration." I am hoping to live somewhere were I can raise some small livestock and a few veggies. I like to think I'm a farmer.

Do you ever get used to the summer heat?

Area there many 2nd - hand shops, thrift stores that are good for "treasure hunting" around the area?

What industries / businesses make up the majority of the economy in MS?

Thanks again!
You'll fit in just fine. Veggies grow very well in the area. You'll eventually get used to the heat. Seriously, it may take a few years. When we moved from MS to the northeast, it took me 4-5 years to get used to the winters.

I don't think there is much in the way of antique shopping in the area, and I can tell you because I've seen it, the two major thrift stores in Starkville have thieves working and volunteering. I kid you not. My family will not donate or shop in the stores there. It is very bad.

I don't know about the economy of the state, but MSU keeps Starkville going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi