U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM

741 posts, read 602,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Race really has nothing to do with it, it's the fact of being different.

And for the anticdote guys concentrating on one or two brutal events:
Hate Crimes by State for 2009, FBI statistcs using Uniform Hate Crimes data:
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/data/table_12.html

State/# of hate crimes
NJ - 549
NY - 626
MA - 322
CA - 1,015
and what's this?
MS - 2
oh gee, hmmm

As for accuracy of data, I challenge anyone to come up with another empical data source. Not the one or two sensational crime story, but data. Otherwise don't waste bandwidth.
Are you really a true believer of govt data that seems to get always revised years later. OK, yeah and the unemployment rate is a tad under 10% too. There are still WMDs in Iraq too.

sp - empirical
CA reported more crimes. Is that the most populous state in the country? Some states are just more vigilant than others which is why the south, as one said <u>turns a blind eye</u>. I do not know that but it seems the city/community has always been divided in the Anderson case while Jasper simply let out a rotten to the core animal.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM

741 posts, read 602,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is California racist because cops beat up black folks consistently? Is Chicago racist for being more segregated than anywhere in the South? Is New York racist for acting as thought black folks can't take care of themselves?

Why does everyone pick on Mississippi?
Why are these wild generalizations becoming commonplace? It hasn't happened to me or others in my circle when pulled over in CA.
If you visit these cities or states and observe what you thought happened, you'll realize your statements are coming from living in a bubble and being given false information. Latinos, whites, and Asians get beat up too. It depends on how you act & look to the cops.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Are you really a true believer of govt data that seems to get always revised years later. OK, yeah and the unemployment rate is a tad under 10% too. There are still WMDs in Iraq too.

sp - empirical
CA reported more crimes. Is that the most populous state in the country? Some states are just more vigilant than others which is why the south, as one said <u>turns a blind eye</u>. I do not know that but it seems the city/community has always been divided in the Anderson case while Jasper simply let out a rotten to the core animal.
Data may be distorted, populations differ, that's why I offered "the challenge" to find a different source of info. You have found none, and the only thing I can say about the Iraq comment is "Moderator cut: language removed
You failed the challenge (the last guy that failed apparantly got so upset he got himself sent to "banned camp"). See ya.

Next?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-30-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,071,755 times
Quote:
Your 1st paragraph ->> "they?" a big generalization you are using.

2nd --> so there is not much black on black crime? that word again "they" are only "killing" outside of their race.. do you hear yourself?
of course the numbers will be skewed in predominantly white neighborhoods no people of your own race to pick on. C'mon.

For the record, as a mixed black person, Obama-type, my black, latino, and white friends are not in those groups of "they". Gee some people post.
2nd--i didnt say they.

you may be black obama type, but we dont know whether your friends are in the "they " category or not , "they" might not have gotten caught yet>

Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

sp - empirical
most people use govt stats, the obama types, the conservative types, all types. If it happens in MS it is happening in other states as well.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You mean the Chicago Flash mobs? or the ones in NJ? or even the ones in England? They weren't White.
what flash mobs? I m talking about racial crimes that are collected by local police states and by the progressive "hate watch" run by the organization, Southern Poverty Law Center. Pennsylvania, NJ, NY, Calif lead the pack.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I wouldn't blame a few idiots for picking on MS. Really, these type of threads appear in all the southern state forums, usually on a regular basis, by well informed users who's sole knowledge of the south is from HeeHaw, Dukes of Hazard, Deliverence, and Mayberrry RFD, before invetibly being locked by a moderator. Check this sample out:
Arkansas:
Is there racism in Arkansas???
South Carolina:
Can this type of racism be expected in most of South Carolina?
Tennessee
Racism in Tennessee
Georgia:
Racism/Georgia
Texas:
Racism in Victoria, Texas

But even other states! (along with tongue and cheak comments fitting for the topic)
Oregon? I guess they have burning crosses at every highways stop:
Racism in Oregon?
Nebraska, yikes that's just a hotbed of the KKK:
Is the race "thing" a huge part of Nebraska?
And long island new york is apparantly the homeland for the guys in the white sheets:
Long Islanders, why are we still dealing with race issues?
Indiana, oh my, person's of color stay away:
Racism really that rampant in Indy?
Oregon has a big racism issue, as the neo nazis call this their homeland and very visible, with a history of violent crime.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
2nd--i didnt say they.

you may be black obama type, but we dont know whether your friends are in the "they " category or not , "they" might not have gotten caught yet>
I guess you didnt really read my posts, "They" in my post related to the police--"at least they got the the guy"

Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 AM

55 posts, read 103,601 times
i grew up in rural mississippi among the older generation. in highschool i was in hattiesburg, a bigger town/small city. i've lived in virginia the past six years.

no, i don't think it's open.. generally speaking. is it there? sure, it's everywhere. is it everyone, not in the least. but especially in the older generation (those who are old enough to remember segregation) - it's kept behind closed doors & between like minds (from what i always saw). there are plenty that i know, even in my age group (mid 20s) that were raised with that same mentality. some just couldn't escape that being brought into their lives. but on a whole, the younger generation is much more removed from that idea.

i found when i moved up to virginia, for example, how much more frequently i saw interracial couples. i definitely saw a significant difference in the 'air' of the community as a whole as far as all that was concerned. it was refreshing, actually. is there still racism? of course. however, in this area, there is much more of a melting pot of non-white ethnicities than there is in mississippi (mostly black & mexican, at least where i grew up) so it's not as big of a thing.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 AM
JL

7,348 posts, read 11,835,343 times
I think Hollywood really has affected our perceptions of pretty much alot of things in life. I was talking to my Asian buddies the other day about planning a driving trip to Florida for vacation next spring. The first thing some of them mentioned was not to drive through the rural towns of Mississippi and Alabama at night. I just sat there and laughed so hard. There is racism in every state, but come on now, this isn't the 50s. The most open racist town i've been in was Vidor, Texas and that was around 10 yrs ago. I don't think Mississippi can be that bad. It's not like if i stop by a restaurant....walk in....and suddenly all the patrons start staring at me(like movies)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi