U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM

30 posts, read 43,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My wife and I are considering crossing MS on our trip west next year. I have always said I would never enter the state of MS. My angst is running across a few supremists or other power tripping crowds. Here in NC, the town I first moved to had posted a giant billboard sign at the city limits that read WELCOME TO KLAN COUNTRY and pictured a hood and the stars and bars crossed with the American flag. That was just about 5 years ago...

That is immature. Contrary to what you might think, Mississippi does not have "klan check points." Get Hollywood out of your head. Im assuming since your passing west through Mississippi, Meridian through Jackson through Vicksburg is a pleasant drive and last I checked, There is no angst towards race relations here through I-20.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM

8,066 posts, read 8,227,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Okay. I was told that the rural parts of Mississippi still has some racial "tension" and apparently it does.

I tell you what has racial tension. Any place with a large percentage of white/black residents. I live in Olive Branch, NW Mississippi, and I work In Memphis. Memphis has an incredible amount of Racial tension. White on black, black on white. Before I moved here from snow white WA-state, I did not know any, but one or two, black people.
Now , almost all my coworkers and friends are black. They will tell you the same thing. There is lots of tension here, but so far, I have not seen any thing beyond that.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM

8,066 posts, read 8,227,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
That is immature. Contrary to what you might think, Mississippi does not have "klan check points.".

OMG, that made me laughCan you imagine if that was the case?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
That is immature. Contrary to what you might think, Mississippi does not have "klan check points." Get Hollywood out of your head. Im assuming since your passing west through Mississippi, Meridian through Jackson through Vicksburg is a pleasant drive and last I checked, There is no angst towards race relations here through I-20.
check points? who would ever think there are check points? not sure where this wild hare of a notion developed...perhaps comprehension is a bigger problem than racism in Ole Miss?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM

119 posts, read 207,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
check points? who would ever think there are check points? not sure where this wild hare of a notion developed...perhaps comprehension is a bigger problem than racism in Ole Miss?
I went to Ole Miss and we all do just fine- not quite sure how folks do when they come out of Mississippi State though!

And its not racist for us to be the rebels and have Colonel Reb, I am sickened that they got rid of it. There really does need to be a large vote across the state for him back- I am sure he would win

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,663,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
I went to Ole Miss and we all do just fine- not quite sure how folks do when they come out of Mississippi State though!

And its not racist for us to be the rebels and have Colonel Reb, I am sickened that they got rid of it. There really does need to be a large vote across the state for him back- I am sure he would win
36 members of my family graduated from Ole Miss. I have a child there now. What I will never understand is how people can imply that Ole Miss is in any way a racist place after spending even one minute on campus. It's a fairly diverse campus. I've never seen any evidence of racism at Ole Miss. Honestly, the most openly racist place we've ever lived was Indiana followed closely by the D.C. area.

Not saying Mississippi doesn't have problems with race relations in some places. We still have work to do. But we've come a long way.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,493,444 times
For your amusement, and it's even semi-related to this thread:
Top Ten Racially Segregated Cities

None of the cities are even in the South, much less Mississippi. And yes, I do realize that "segregated" doesn't necessarily mean "racist", but personally I'd rather drive through a black-majority town in rural Mississippi than south-central Los Angeles (and I've driven through both).

And for the record, it's a difficult concept for a yankee to comprehend, but just because you see a white boy from Mississippi waving a "rebel" flag (one of the Confederate battle flags) that doesn't necessarily mean he's a racist. My brother has one of those flags on his truck. He works and hangs out with many black people. He's had long-term relationships with two different white women who had bi-racial children (one hispanic-white the other black-white), and he loved and cared for those children as though they were his own.

I have other relatives who would never fly a rebel flag (mainly because they're MSU fans, the in-state rival of the Ole Miss Rebel "Teddy Bears")... but they wouldn't sit down to eat a meal with a black person.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 32,678 times
I'll say this, a lot of white families would still cringe if their son/daughter brought home a person of color as their significant other, but that's not to say that we do not co-exist without much problem. I treat everyone the same and everyone I associate with does as well. I work with black people every day and have grown up with them. For the people thinking that they can't even drive through this state, pull your heads out of your asses. You'll be fine. A lynch mob will not be waiting on you at the border.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM

385 posts, read 318,433 times
I have to laugh at this thread, 'if want to see it you will' and that is anywhere in the United States. People, land, homes, in MS are just like anywhere else. They may stare at you when you go to a small town because they want to get to know you and you are something new and maybe exciting, this happens in any state. As for the Rebel flag I have seen it more driving through Kentucky then living in MS. OLE Miss the Rebel needs to make a comeback, the Bear is not right! Pretty soon the Bull Dog will not be politically correct or offend someone.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM

61 posts, read 82,187 times
Racism is alive and quite active here in good, ol' MS. People will try to make you believe that it isn't, but it is. This is a very "us against them" place. Even the North Pike school district told me that they only do home checks on blacks (to see if they live in the district).

This is not an openly accepting state. Black, white, mexican, gay, muslim... If you don't think and act like the group you're entering, you'll be outcasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi