U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,068 posts, read 2,883,381 times
Reputation: 1317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bang 22 View Post
Mississippi will be welcomed into the UNION when they change the state flag, we all get the message!
Apparently you don't get the message at all. Apparently you think that certain people should forget their ancestors that laid down their lives to defend their homeland. Shame on you.

Most southerners didn't own slaves, but if someone attacked my home state of Missouri I would defend her whether she was in the right or wrong, because it's my home, and that's what those people did. Slavery was wrong but I'll be damned if I back down from someone saying I should discredit what my ancestors did by defending themselves.

 
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Missouri
736 posts, read 422,971 times
Reputation: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Apparently you don't get the message at all. Apparently you think that certain people should forget their ancestors that laid down their lives to defend their homeland. Shame on you.

Most southerners didn't own slaves, but if someone attacked my home state of Missouri I would defend her whether she was in the right or wrong, because it's my home, and that's what those people did. Slavery was wrong but I'll be damned if I back down from someone saying I should discredit what my ancestors did by defending themselves.

Agreed. Many of my ancestors fought for states righs, and freedom from yankee oppression. They lived and died for that flag, and the funny thing is that none of my ancestors owned slaves. Also I have have been to Mississippi many times and have never seen any racism. At the most I possibly have seen reverse racism there. So what does Mississippi's flag have to do with racism? Did you know that the Missouri state flag has the symbol that used to be on the Missouri confederate state guard flad? Does that make us racist? NO.
 
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,559 posts, read 16,711,588 times
Reputation: 26118
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Agreed. Many of my ancestors fought for states righs, and freedom from yankee oppression. They lived and died for that flag, and the funny thing is that none of my ancestors owned slaves. Also I have have been to Mississippi many times and have never seen any racism. At the most I possibly have seen reverse racism there. So what does Mississippi's flag have to do with racism? Did you know that the Missouri state flag has the symbol that used to be on the Missouri confederate state guard flad? Does that make us racist? NO.
That doesn't even make sense. Racism is racism. It's not "reverse racism" it's plain old racism.

What is truly sad is that people still have to ask if some place is racist. And what is even worse than that is some of the things that have been written here.

Will we always notice a difference, physically, between us? Of course. We are taught to notice differences from a young age...think Sesame Street, "One of these things is not like the other..."

It's when people take those differences and think that a person is somehow LESS of a person, not worthy of respect or dignity, that we have this problem.

Racism is racism no matter who is discriminating. And all racism is disgusting.
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 AM
 
18 posts, read 68,097 times
Reputation: 39
I'm retired Navy and have been all over the world. I've served with men and women of all ethnic backgrounds and have enjoyed friendships with many. I moved my family down to southern Mississippi in 1991. My son and daughter attended public school with an ethnic mix and there were rarely any problems. My neighbors are a mix too. When Katrina hit, we all helped each other. I go across the street and talk to my neighbor all the time - and we're not the same shade of melanin (that's skin tone, if you want to know). We're friends. I've seen things that would be impossible back in the 60s. A car broke down on the side of the road, the owner a white lady. And a black man stopped to help her, his pickup parked behind with emergency flashers. My daughter would bring home her friends of different ethnicity - no problems. Is there racism? Yes. People have that tendency at times when someone is "different" - but overtly, violently? No. I got out of the Navy a couple of years ago and moved to mid-Mississippi and worked for Raytheon in Forest, MS and there was a strong mix of black and white. Everyone worked together, sat down at break times with each other - co-workers and friends. Now I'm back on the coast working for the USAF and have many co-workers "different" than me and we're all doing great. BTW- I've not said what my "race" is - so you're just going to have to guess. Also - there's really only one race, the human race. Peace to all.
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,202,292 times
Reputation: 4577
keywords; common and open.
i would say no to both.
 
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,453 posts, read 8,472,056 times
Reputation: 19562
Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
I'm retired Navy and have been all over the world. I've served with men and women of all ethnic backgrounds and have enjoyed friendships with many. I moved my family down to southern Mississippi in 1991. My son and daughter attended public school with an ethnic mix and there were rarely any problems. My neighbors are a mix too. When Katrina hit, we all helped each other. I go across the street and talk to my neighbor all the time - and we're not the same shade of melanin (that's skin tone, if you want to know). We're friends. I've seen things that would be impossible back in the 60s. A car broke down on the side of the road, the owner a white lady. And a black man stopped to help her, his pickup parked behind with emergency flashers. My daughter would bring home her friends of different ethnicity - no problems. Is there racism? Yes. People have that tendency at times when someone is "different" - but overtly, violently? No. I got out of the Navy a couple of years ago and moved to mid-Mississippi and worked for Raytheon in Forest, MS and there was a strong mix of black and white. Everyone worked together, sat down at break times with each other - co-workers and friends. Now I'm back on the coast working for the USAF and have many co-workers "different" than me and we're all doing great. BTW- I've not said what my "race" is - so you're just going to have to guess. Also - there's really only one race, the human race. Peace to all.
Nice.
 
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM
 
21 posts, read 35,823 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Apparently you don't get the message at all. Apparently you think that certain people should forget their ancestors that laid down their lives to defend their homeland. Shame on you.

Most southerners didn't own slaves, but if someone attacked my home state of Missouri I would defend her whether she was in the right or wrong, because it's my home, and that's what those people did. Slavery was wrong but I'll be damned if I back down from someone saying I should discredit what my ancestors did by defending themselves.
NO, I should have stated the message in a different way. I f MS. changed their flag, which is the desire of those who hate so-called White heritage, then Mississippi would be accepted into the so-called NEW WORLD!

I have relatives on my mothers' side who fought in the Confederacy buried at the Confederate cemetery in Marietta, Georgia. As for slavery, it was not the sole issue of the Civil War!

I think the state flag of Mississippi is the best one!!!
 
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
 
21 posts, read 35,823 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nice.
True, we are all HUMAN but face the facts by race! If God intended all to be the same, ONE COLOR, ONE CULTURE, and ONE HERITAGE, but we are all not alike. We have European, Asian, African, Hispanic, and The Jews!

The HUMAN BEING you have described has no culture or heritage just like those in the movie,"Invasion of the body snatchers".
 
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,068 posts, read 2,883,381 times
Reputation: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bang 22 View Post
NO, I should have stated the message in a different way. I f MS. changed their flag, which is the desire of those who hate so-called White heritage, then Mississippi would be accepted into the so-called NEW WORLD!

I have relatives on my mothers' side who fought in the Confederacy buried at the Confederate cemetery in Marietta, Georgia. As for slavery, it was not the sole issue of the Civil War!

I think the state flag of Mississippi is the best one!!!
Oh ok I see what you meant my bad.

I think everyone should respect everyone's heritage, no matter what it may be.

I just get so sick and tired of people stereotyping the southern & "semi-southern" states all of the time I suppose.
 
Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,068 posts, read 2,883,381 times
Reputation: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
I'm retired Navy and have been all over the world. I've served with men and women of all ethnic backgrounds and have enjoyed friendships with many. I moved my family down to southern Mississippi in 1991. My son and daughter attended public school with an ethnic mix and there were rarely any problems. My neighbors are a mix too. When Katrina hit, we all helped each other. I go across the street and talk to my neighbor all the time - and we're not the same shade of melanin (that's skin tone, if you want to know). We're friends. I've seen things that would be impossible back in the 60s. A car broke down on the side of the road, the owner a white lady. And a black man stopped to help her, his pickup parked behind with emergency flashers. My daughter would bring home her friends of different ethnicity - no problems. Is there racism? Yes. People have that tendency at times when someone is "different" - but overtly, violently? No. I got out of the Navy a couple of years ago and moved to mid-Mississippi and worked for Raytheon in Forest, MS and there was a strong mix of black and white. Everyone worked together, sat down at break times with each other - co-workers and friends. Now I'm back on the coast working for the USAF and have many co-workers "different" than me and we're all doing great. BTW- I've not said what my "race" is - so you're just going to have to guess. Also - there's really only one race, the human race. Peace to all.
amen brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top