Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 276,637 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife and I are looking to relocate to the Olive Branch area of Desoto County. We have visited the area about 7 times in the past 5 years and have fallen in love with that area of Mississippi. We first visited for a trip to Memphis, as we are bbq and blues fans, and ventured across the state line to play some golf. I am quite impressed with how gorgeous Olive Branch is and the surrounding communities.

After a little more research, I couldn't believe how affordable housing was there. With selling our house in the Raleigh, NC area, we could probably afford to pay cash for a house there, which is very appealing.

I guess I had a few questions. Can anyone recommend some subdivisions with houses in the 2,300 to 2,700sf range that are all brick? I have heard it is important to stay below Goodman Rd for resale purposes. Also, both my wife and I are currently employed, myself in banking, and she in insurance. Since we would have to sell our house here to buy a house there, we have a dilemma. I think given the state of the economy we were leaning towards me finding a job there first, then sell our house here, and have her move after it is sold. The thought of selling our house here first and moving without jobs seems a little too stressful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much. Shawn

Last edited by savage71chevelless; 12-29-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to add location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
There are many subdivisons in this area. A few suggestions would be Cherokee Valley which has a golf course, Wedgewood which also has a golf course, and numerous other subdivisions along Pleasant Hill Rd, College Rd, and Nail Rd. These are all south of Goodman Rd and overall it's a very good area.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks brickpatio, do you live in the area? I continue to be amazed at how nice the area is and how affordable housing is

Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Don't rule out Southaven. Look at subdivsions off of Getwell near Desoto Central schools. There are also a few south of Church road. This area of town was considered 'the county' until a few years ago. I have an Olive Branch phone number and my water comes from a county system (but I pay Southaven).

I looked up yesterday and three deer were walking through my back yard. It's nice and quiet out here but I'm still close to a lot of conveniences. I can walk to the amphitheater in Snowden Grove Park. There are at least a dozen restaurants within a 3 mile radius of my house.

Last edited by Robert_J; 12-31-2009 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
This area roughly south of Goodman Rd and between Hwy 78 and I 55 has a bright future. Much of it is still relatively open, with many homes on large acreage. It feels unusually affordable probably because while it's the hot, growing suburban section of the Memphis area, it hasn't really been the rich are per se, as opposed to say Germantown. But it is definitely getting nicer and bigger and time goes by, without yet become crowded or overpriced.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,225 times
i am gonna be relocating to the same area myself soon. i was wondering if you could give me an insight of if you have moved and if you came to like it.

thank you,

svenja

Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
My wife and I moved here from Little Rock 10 years ago and we love it.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM

svenja, have you visited the area much? My wife and I have been there about 7 times, and absolutely fell in love. What a gorgeous town, and the cost of living is awesome. Such wonderful neighborhoods, and you have the convenience of Memphis with everything it offers 15-20 minutes away. I am looking for jobs right now in the area, kinda tough with the economy, but I hope to be there sometime early this year

Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,023 times
My husband and I moved to Southaven from midtown Memphis this past summer and just love it. We got an unbelievable deal on our house in a wonderful subdivision. We would have paid twice the price in Memphis in an average area of town. I am originally from a small town in Nebraska so to me personally Southaven is big enough to have convienent options (resturants, shopping, doctors, etc), yet small enough to have that hometown feel that I didn't have in Memphis. The people who live here are great. I feel very safe here as well. Between you and me I don't even lock my car when I am at home

Horn Lake, Southaven, and Olive Branch all run together by the way. Also a tip our agent gave us while looking for a house was to stay in the 38672 zip rather than 38671.

Last edited by midnight2513; 01-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,297 times
I've been in Olive Branch for 7 years now and absolutely love it. I would NOT be as happy in Southaven. Way too busy over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi