U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
gtk gtk started this thread

9 posts, read 30,310 times

Advertisements

I'm asking for some feedback/opinions please.

I've read several threads about people asking about places in this area to relocate. When you are looking, what kind of things are you looking for in a subdivision, besides the normal things like school districts?

Also, how do you do most of your "looking" ? On the internet? Real estate agents? Newspapers? Just driving around?

We are in the process of building a subdivision in the eastern part of Desoto County, and I would like to know opinions of what makes one subdivision stand out from the next..

thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 157,231 times
Default hope this helps!

Although we are looking at property in Tate county I know that what we are considering in looking at subdivisions is the size and privacy of the lots. My brother and sister in law and mother in law live in a subdivision where you can see in to your neighbors bedroom from the driveway. So we decided that if we live buy a home in a subdivision privacy is our first concern other than the schools.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
Nice size lots, good drainage, underground utilities, quality constuction, just the right mix of restrictions (not too many to enjoy ownership of your property), and landscaping. Leave some trees man!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Daniels View Post
Nice size lots, good drainage, underground utilities, quality constuction, just the right mix of restrictions (not too many to enjoy ownership of your property), and landscaping. Leave some trees man!!

Yes, for goodness sake LEAVE some trees

Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 11,971,217 times
I have seen the developments around there. They generally level 90-100% of the trees!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
gtk gtk started this thread

9 posts, read 30,310 times
thx for the feedback..

Trees are being left alone, whenever/where ever possible. Utilities will be overhead though.. Lots will be 1.5 to 3.2 acres, so thats a plus. . We are still working on the covenants.

I'm studying hard on what type of entrance to build. We want it nice, but not designed to it will require lots of upkeep..

thx again..

Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,620,301 times
I think overhead utilities would be a deal killer for me. How about the rest of you?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,887,531 times
We live in North Mississippi. New sub-divisions going in here are gated, underground utilities and have at least two lakes on them. The lots are large and trees are kept where possible.

What many people fail to understand is, usually the owners of subdivisions have to pay for putting in the utilities and when you go underground or upgrade to larger water/sewer lines the cost is much more, and will be passed on along to the potential owners who buy.

Yet, since many of us seem to demand the amenities like this, we are prepared to pay extra for them.

The newest one going up here has a stone retainer wall entrance on either side of the road and a gate house in the middle. Elegant without being overly in your face. There is little to mow, and the flowers/plantings are local to the area which means they will thrive in all weather conditions and need little maintainence.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
What can you tell me about Saucier Ms?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 105,042 times
Smile What makes a subdivision attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtk View Post
I'm asking for some feedback/opinions please.

I've read several threads about people asking about places in this area to relocate. When you are looking, what kind of things are you looking for in a subdivision, besides the normal things like school districts?

Also, how do you do most of your "looking" ? On the internet? Real estate agents? Newspapers? Just driving around?

We are in the process of building a subdivision in the eastern part of Desoto County, and I would like to know opinions of what makes one subdivision stand out from the next..

thx.
GTK,
John Merritt here,

78 percent of all home searches begin on the internet!

While newspapers are a dying breed of advertisment for real estate, they do still sell homes to some.

Most serious buyers are searching from the comfort of their homes on the internet or browsing through the well marketed ads in the home magazines.

NOTHING sells a home as well as eye catching advertisement in addition to a fair market price.

Many people disregard schools if they have no children though this is a mistake because good schools do affect re-sale value / opportunity.

Most clients I have worked with love the newer styles and amenities in the homes but state that many of the subdivisions lack overall curb appeal. They are looking for trees and well maintained or implemented common areas and landscaping that make the overall sub division more appealing to the eye.

My clients love the tools and resources available in technology today. if an agent does not have a powerfully presented web site that offers customer mls search and save as well as other valuable information for the client base, they need to have it!

Entry into the subdivision of course needs to splash class right at the buyers as they arrive, it makes the s/d feel more upscale.
Market, Market and market some more, and it needs to stand out aboe the rest!

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck in your endeavors!
John Merritt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or