Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM

331 posts, read 603,207 times

Advertisements

I know Desoto county is a great place, with great schools, lower crime than Memphis, but still close, etc. But individual towns/cities have their own pros and cons.

For example:
*Lower/est crime(types) less/more violent
*Not many things to do; shopping, parks, entertainment, etc.
*Not many places to rent/apts
*A little better schools, better testing, sports programs, PTA/O helpful, Helpfulness of teachers/principal, etc.
*More expensive to buy homes, cost of living, etc.
*Sports outside of the schools,Rec teams, cost, volunteer coach quality, etc.
*More low income residents/apts; as this matters more to some than others..
*More family oriented w/ events/parades/activities, etc.
*More job opportunities IN the town (I know many are right on top of each other, so the drive would/could be 5 minutes or could be 20-30, but just for the sake of something that could tell them apart - lol)
*Any thing that makes a town stand out in it's own instead of an overall "Desoto county is great" or "You'll love living in Desoto county, regardless of where you choose".

My question is; when comparing the towns of Desoto county what are the pros and cons of each. Hernando, Nesbit, Southaven, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, Walls, Lake Cormant - Did I get them all?!
You hear things about different areas, but the best knowledge comes from living in or spending a good amount of time there, I haven't done either. I do read a lot on the crimes, different schools, and things on City-data on different towns, just seeing if I could get different perspectives/insights/and opinions.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
You forgot Nesbit. Home of Jerry Lee Lewis.

Crime - Violent crime is rare. The last few shootings we have had were either drug deals gone bad or domestic issues. Rarely does an innocent get caught up in something. OBPD has a Facebook page and lists their major crimes of the day. Shoplifting and theft of property are about it.
Activities - That depends on your interests. I'm near Snowden Grove Park and I see families there all of the time. There are free concerts at the Snowden House. They are big named artists at the amphitheater.
Apartments - Other than the 2 complexes near Church and 51, I'm not sure. And it has been years since I or family stayed in them.
Schools - They are all run by the county board and one superintendent so the differences are minor. Desoto Central's band has won a few state awards. OB's football team won the state championship last year.
Family oriented - No kids so I don't know.
Jobs - I have one. I work from home for a division based in Chicago for a company based in London.

Like Memphis, each area has it's pros and cons. I'm near the Southaven/OB line. It's rural enough that I can hear cows at night when it is quiet. I also have a 24 hour grocery store, 10 restaurants and a lot of retail stores within 3 miles of me. The older parts of Southaven and OB have a different feel since the population is different.

Ask particular questions or come down for a visit.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,370 times
Just a note to say I was just in DeSoto county. We were in Horn Lake and other area towns. We felt safe and had some really good food and left some dollars to help the economy grow in Desoto County. Especially at the Harley Davidson place - lots of dollars left there!

We also ventured into Tunica and felt safe there also and of course helped their economy too.

We like upper Mississippi a lot - in fact this northerner likes the whole state.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 13,903 times
As a longtime resident of Southaven, I can speak to the pros and cons of my city.
Pros:
Above average schools.
Affordable housing with homestead exemption.
Easy commute to Memphis to work, shopping, dining, and entertainment.
Lower victim crime (ie. Murder, burglary, etc... than Memphis).
Many places for Christian worship.
Chain restaurants.
Excellent youth sports baseball facilities.
Cons:
Rampant crime among elected officials (search Mayor Greg Davis), and general grift involving aldermen and local contractors.
Corrupt law enforment officers embroiled in numerous federal lawsuits.
Students arrested and detained for minor school infractions (see federal lawsuits).
Increased foreclosures.
No art/culture.
No fine dining.
Most employment within city is warehouses, retail, or school system.
Bleak park system.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,159 times
Anyone know of any section 8 homes for rent in desoto county???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi