U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19653

Advertisements

How easy it is for souls like Hans Eichmann to believe that only poor people become victims, and that tornadoes seek out only poorly built houses occupied by uneducated people to destroy.

May he live a long, blessed life, because he - so far - would be totally unable to deal with disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 3,614,821 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How easy it is for souls like Hans Eichmann to believe that only poor people become victims, and that tornadoes seek out only poorly built houses occupied by uneducated people to destroy.

May he live a long, blessed life, because he - so far - would be totally unable to deal with disaster.
He didn't say that. Where do you get this from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Eichmann View Post
I am really sorry to hear about all the tragedies, but why can't people just move. These areas are nothing but disaster areas year round.
These areas are not "disaster areas year round". "These areas" are places in America where people happen to live.

"These areas" include places like Tuscaloosa, AL; Smithville, MS.; Xenia, OH.; and Waco, TX. Smithville, MS was not a 'disaster year round'. It was a small town in Mississippi, which had never had a tornado of any strength before last week.

And ihpartridge's answer:
Quote:
Dey be po.
That's his answer? The victims of an F-5 tornado live in Mississippi because "Dey be po"?

Words fail. I simply cannot put into words anything that remotely addresses the insensitivity, backwardness, and the assumption of superiority in these two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 3,614,821 times
Reputation: 1264
In all fairness--I think if someone is from out of the area it seems like these tornadoes are a fact of life and a constant, so the question why don't you move becomes just a query not an accusation. The "poor" comment, meanwhile, was meant as an explanation as to why some people can't move away, not that Ms is just a poor person's hovel. The stats about MS and the poverty level pretty much justify saying it is a state with an abundance of poor, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,845 posts, read 15,912,360 times
Reputation: 4328
Plus some people get the impression that the entire state is constantly in danger of tornadoes.
The chances of getting hit with a tornado are way less than what you face every day behind the wheel of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 PM
 
3,035 posts, read 3,046,512 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
These areas are not "disaster areas year round". "These areas" are places in America where people happen to live.

"These areas" include places like Tuscaloosa, AL; Smithville, MS.; Xenia, OH.; and Waco, TX. Smithville, MS was not a 'disaster year round'. It was a small town in Mississippi, which had never had a tornado of any strength before last week.

And ihpartridge's answer:

That's his answer? The victims of an F-5 tornado live in Mississippi because "Dey be po"?

Words fail. I simply cannot put into words anything that remotely addresses the insensitivity, backwardness, and the assumption of superiority in these two people.
That was crass of me and I apologize. But Tara is right--a lot of people stay where they are because they don't have the resources to do anything else. Many also stay close to extended family networks which helps when disaster does strike, any kind of disaster, not just natural ones. We are thanking God that we only lost a tree and not our house, as many families did in my in-laws' old neighborhood.

We stay because of both reasons. In other words, we be po.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Reputation: 19653
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
That was crass of me and I apologize. But Tara is right--a lot of people stay where they are because they don't have the resources to do anything else. Many also stay close to extended family networks which helps when disaster does strike, any kind of disaster, not just natural ones. We are thanking God that we only lost a tree and not our house, as many families did in my in-laws' old neighborhood.

We stay because of both reasons. In other words, we be po.
Your apology is accepted. We be friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Napa, California
5 posts, read 6,052 times
Reputation: 10
Yes I am quite young, 42 to be exact. As a matter of fact I lived in that god forsaken state from 1974 to 1995. The best decision I ever made was moving. My family and I experienced floods, tornadoes and Hurricane Frederic in 1979 and I had enough. Not to mention the constant humid weather that plagues that region. It seems people are always seeking refuge from that. I just had enough sense to leave. If one is glutton for punishment, sure that is the place to be. When we moved there, my mom could not even find a good cup of coffee. Great coffee does not stem from a blue or red sealed can!
Actually I do live in California in Napa Valley to be exact. The last time there was a disaster was 1906. The odds are much better here. We have over 300 days of sunshine with temperatures in the mid 80ís and humidity around 12%. If I want winter I just drive 3 hours north to Tahoe.
I am a very athletic person and the life of the deep south never coincided with my activities. I grew up outside of a town of 1200 people and the nearest civilized place was over an hour away. The only thing to do there on weekends was smoke weed and drink cheap beer out of cans and sit on car hoods. Not very productive. As far as school goes, it was too easy because the teachers werenít educated enough to challenge students. Who ever heard of schools with broken windows and no air conditioners or heaters in the late 80ís. When I got to college it was difficult, because up to that point I was not challenged. I got so sick of people complaining about how their obesity is a heredity issue when clearly they prefer to eat that garbage they call food and refuse to exercise. Who ever heard of a person 35 years old with high pressure, what a joke! If you do a little research you will see that state ranks lowest in education, highest in obesity, highest in illiteracy. People do not want to take an initiative and change. Why would people want to support that, they always say their family is there. That is just a lame excuse not to better themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,189 posts, read 4,123,650 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Eichmann View Post
Yes I am quite young, 42 to be exact. As a matter of fact I lived in that god forsaken state from 1974 to 1995. The best decision I ever made was moving. My family and I experienced floods, tornadoes and Hurricane Frederic in 1979 and I had enough. Not to mention the constant humid weather that plagues that region. It seems people are always seeking refuge from that. I just had enough sense to leave. If one is glutton for punishment, sure that is the place to be. When we moved there, my mom could not even find a good cup of coffee. Great coffee does not stem from a blue or red sealed can!
Actually I do live in California in Napa Valley to be exact. The last time there was a disaster was 1906. The odds are much better here. We have over 300 days of sunshine with temperatures in the mid 80ís and humidity around 12%. If I want winter I just drive 3 hours north to Tahoe.
I am a very athletic person and the life of the deep south never coincided with my activities. I grew up outside of a town of 1200 people and the nearest civilized place was over an hour away. The only thing to do there on weekends was smoke weed and drink cheap beer out of cans and sit on car hoods. Not very productive. As far as school goes, it was too easy because the teachers werenít educated enough to challenge students. Who ever heard of schools with broken windows and no air conditioners or heaters in the late 80ís. When I got to college it was difficult, because up to that point I was not challenged. I got so sick of people complaining about how their obesity is a heredity issue when clearly they prefer to eat that garbage they call food and refuse to exercise. Who ever heard of a person 35 years old with high pressure, what a joke! If you do a little research you will see that state ranks lowest in education, highest in obesity, highest in illiteracy. People do not want to take an initiative and change. Why would people want to support that, they always say their family is there. That is just a lame excuse not to better themselves.
Well. Your entitled to your opinion. But this thread is about the Tornado outbreak that was the largest one to happen in 40 years, at best a once (or twice) in a lifetime event of the forceful destructive hand of nature. You ranting about how Mississippi supposedly sucks so much does NOT help, what with all the people that were killed and hurt in places like Smithville and surrounding areas. But to just address your point, none of them apply to me, and I prefer summers out there rather than the bone dry summers we deal with out here. You have to understand Mississippi to love it, that is all I can say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Napa, California
5 posts, read 6,052 times
Reputation: 10
You are correct, that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top