Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,746,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
The man was seen running and screaming down the middle of the street prior to the event? Hummmm. Sounds like a collaborative effort on behalf of all three parties to systematically kill the victim. Otherwise, it's just about the craziest scenario I've heard in a long time. I've seen some pretty insensible and atrocious things, but this just takes the cake. It's possible that there's more to the story than what was disclosed by the media.
Actually, you may be onto something there. Maybe somebody was a snitch, or didn't pay his drug debt. I was thinking this was just an example of what can happen in a city from which most everybody with good sense has already fled.

When you're in a place where nobody has both oars in the water, nobody's engine is hitting on all eight cylinders, nobody's elevator goes to the top floor, and everybody is a few bricks shy of a load, it's entirely possible to believe six impossible things before breakfast.

In the late Nineties, there was a woman whose car broke down in West Jackson. A man came along to "help" her. He threw her over the hood of the car, raped her, and left. Well, along came another man to rescue her. He, too, threw her over the hood and raped her. This story was relayed to me as an example of how pathetic life was becoming in Jackson. This was about the time everybody we knew was saying, "We've really had enough.", and either moving to Madison or Brandon, or completely out of the South.

I've already linked, haven't I, to recent instance in Jackson, of a pedestrian being struck by a car, and then being struck a second time, by another car, while a paramedic was rendering aid to him? Injured paramedic making slow, steady progress - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS The Pedestrian was killed, the Paramedic was horribly injured, and the Perp was, as I remember, under the influence of Alcohol, on drugs (traces of cocaine, hydrocodone and a sleeping medication), and with multiple lifestyle-exacerbated chronic conditions (treatments for all of which, I'm guessing, are being paid for by taxpayers) No bond for man charged in fatal crash that injured EMT | Jackson News - WAPT Home

In Jackson, bad things come in enormous clusters.

And while there are those who worry about being eaten alive by Mississippi's Fire Ants, catching Leprosy from Armadillos, being snagged and suffocated by a Python lurking in the bushes, being snapped-up by a seven-hundred-pound Alligator, having your toes bitten-off by a Loggerhead, having a Cougar pounce from a tree, being mauled by a Black Bear, being devoured by a huge Alligator Garfish, being gutted by the tusks of a deadly Wild Russian Boar, or being bitten by one of several species of venomous reptiles in Mississippi.... NONE OF THOSE CREATURES DRIVE.

It's the ones behind the wheel that are the most dangerous of them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,162,312 times
Also in Jackson on I believe Saturday night after the Jackson State game a guy was struck by a car while he was walking on I55 around the water works curve. It's dangerous to drive that curve, so I have no idea why someone was on foot there. He is in the hospital.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Also in Jackson on I believe Saturday night after the Jackson State game a guy was struck by a car while he was walking on I55 around the water works curve. It's dangerous to drive that curve, so I have no idea why someone was on foot there. He is in the hospital.
We've always called that stretch of Interstate 'Dead Man's Curve'. Guess we named it right. For those that don't know, the roadway dips to accommodate an overpass, at the same time that it curves rather sharply. And as I remember, there's very little shoulder, at certain points both southbound and northbound.

The speed limit is 50, but plenty of idiots are careening about at 70, and so it's scary to drive there. I'd hate to have to try to walk there.

And to think that in addition to two (maybe more) people being hit by cars, there was also the usual array of 'social interactions' in Jacktown: http://www.clarionledger.com/article...yssey=obinsite

Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM

80 posts, read 205,641 times
I am from Mississippi and I think most of us are good drivers. Maybe there are more bad drivers in Jackson compared to Tupelo where I live. I would rather put up with bad drivers in Jackson over those in Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; and even Little Rock, AR.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Default "Mr. Horhn was given a sobriety test, which Mr. Hohrn fail tremdous,"

More fancy Jacktown driving, and another comedy of errors.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article...nclick_check=1

I'm wondering just exactly how tremdous the Senator fail...

But frankly, the Clarion Ledger's staff tends to be every bit as dufus as the other parties involved. And so the quote may not be exact.

I should note that this instance of the Senator's apparent DWI and Public Intimidation of an Officer of the Law happened following the Senator's hosting of a 'Crime-fighting Summit'.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-05-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 AM

29 posts, read 53,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
More fancy Jacktown driving, and another comedy of errors.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article...nclick_check=1

I'm wondering just exactly how tremdous the Senator fail...

But frankly, the Clarion Ledger's staff tends to be every bit as dufus as the other parties involved. And so the quote may not be exact.

I should note that this instance of the Senator's apparent DWI and Public Intimidation of an Officer of the Law happened following the Senator's hosting of a 'Crime-fighting Summit'.

You can't make this stuff up! Just when I thought Mississippians cannot choose have a more misguided compass when it comes to politics on both political spectrums (liberals too liberal and conservatives too conservative), it was sad to hear how many people "felt bad" for him and were like "I forgive him for this cause he's already done so much good for the state of Mississippi, especially Jackson.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,108,702 times

here is a typical Memphis (Mid-South) driver.

Last edited by TimtheGuy; 12-06-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,108,702 times
even the police in Memphis (Mid-South)

Last edited by TimtheGuy; 12-06-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM

801 posts, read 2,208,303 times
I've taken several trips to Mississippi in the past couple of years. Around Jackson, I soon realized that the proper methodology to employ is to multiply the posted speed limit by 1.4. That seems to keep most people off your tail.

However, I noticed things were different in McComb. The proper approach is apparently to divide the posted speed limit by 1.4, and you can fit in like a local. There is some strange, vehicular inversion in McComb that has yet to be identified by modern science.

Here in Albuquerque, if I head out on I-40 during a time of day when travel is flowing "normally," I will see a few drivers ripping along 90-100 mph in the 65 mph zone. I can see plenty of that when driving in Houston, Dallas, or a number of other places. I've seen women putting on makeup while driving with their knees. I've seen guys shaving, using the rear-view mirror. I've seen plenty of people texting or chatting on their cell phones while speeding along..multitasking individuals they are. Here in Albuquerque, cell phone use while driving is actually against the law...although it's yet another local law that is almost completely ignored.

I think every state could have its own "lousy driver thread." We're a nation of very busy people who can't be stopped or slowed by the mere thought of safety for ourselves and others. Many drivers out there are literally "on the edge," ready to fight for their "road position" with anyone who impedes them.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,389,703 times
Bring your worst Mississippi drivers up to Boston to sharpen up their skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi