Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times

Advertisements

Today we registered our 2 cars plus we got our MS Driver licenses. Nobody mentioned to us that we needed to have our cars inspected. How do I know if I even need it done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,640,002 times
You must get your car inspected.
In MS. it's very basic. They just check your lights, horn, windshield for cracks.
Stuff like that. There is no emissions test ect. like in some states. I believe it's only $5 also.
Many auto repair shops or oil change shops do it in 5 minutes or less.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
You must get your car inspected.
In MS. it's very basic. They just check your lights, horn, windshield for cracks.
Stuff like that. There is no emissions test ect. like in some states. I believe it's only $5 also.
Many auto repair shops or oil change shops do it in 5 minutes or less.

So how long do have. I am surprised that I was never told about this when I registered my car or got by license.
$5.00 is nothing so I take care of it. But still, you would think that if it is required they would make sure you know about it.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 AM

15 posts, read 57,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So how long do have. I am surprised that I was never told about this when I registered my car or got by license.
$5.00 is nothing so I take care of it. But still, you would think that if it is required they would make sure you know about it.
There is not really a grace period that I am aware of, its just something that has to be done. I believe the highway patrol is the only agency that can write you a ticket for it, and it is around $150 ticket, or it used to be. If the officer is nice he might just warn you, with your situation, but I would probably get it done. Saying all that, mine has been expired for 2 years now, because my windshield has a small crack and I haven't replaced it. Guess I better follow my own advice and get that done.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,640,002 times
I wasn't told either..
If you don't have the sticker on the car you could be stopped.
I would keep my tax paperwork in the car and get it done as soon as possible.
Like I said it is a very quick (5 minutes).
On another issue, since MS. doesn't give you a car registration card it can cause problems in other states when stopped by law enforcement.
I was stopped in Tennessee last year. The officer (must have been a rookie) insisted I should have a registration card. I showed him my MS. tax and tag papers. He acted like he was doing me a favor by not writing me a ticket. I was new to MS. and not sure what I was supposed to have gotten from the DMV.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,884,167 times
I've been here for almost 10 years only found out about the fines last week when listening to the Drake & Zeke radio show out of Memphis. Callers were saying it is a $175 fine.

Yes it is only $5 and fast but if you have tinted windows, they will have to check them with a meter. In Southaven the only place I can find is Mathis Tire on Stateline Road that has the proper meter.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 PM

580 posts, read 1,415,181 times
It's a requirement in this state but you have a lot of law enforcement who don't pull you over for it but you can get a ticket if you're pulled over for something else and they notice it is expired ( lol, been there before when I was in college ). If you are from Mississippi you know you have to have one on your vehicle. However, this information is listed on the MS Dept of Public Safety website Frequently Asked Questions. This sticker must be updated every year.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM

106 posts, read 397,255 times
I moved to MS four months ago - and I don't have the inspection sticker yet. No problems with local police so far though. - The reason I don't have it is that there seem to be very few places that do the inspections. The local national chain oil change service shops don't. - So I haven't had it done yet since it's proving so inconvenient. But eventually I expect to do the research and find a place in the Madison area that does do the inspections. But it's not as ubiquitously available as suggested. - So far I haven't come across any place that does it.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM

106 posts, read 397,255 times
PS: You can do a Gooogle search for Mississippi vehicle inspection locations - but none come up. It's apparently very "backburner", as the $5 fee shows. If you had a shop and could earn only $5 for doing an inspection, would you offer that service? You would lose money each time you did one. - It should be about $25, so it could be conveniently available.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 AM

783 posts, read 2,248,988 times
This is kind of a joke. Go to the nearest small town and ask around for who does inspections. Most I've encountered couldn't care less about a broken windshield or tinted windows (if anybody says anything just tell'em you just had it done).

Most ARE very picky, however, about things like lights and horn. Many also do the gravel peck windshield repairs that can prevent a windshield from cracking in the heat of summer. The idea is that by offering inspections you potentially are bringing in new business. If you ned a new headlight, tailight or turn signal (or have a wiring issue) that's money for the person doing the inspection. They may "only" get 5 bucks for the inspection but they may make 25-100 bucks by making the car passable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi