Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 AM

46 posts, read 131,574 times

Advertisements

It really depends. I'll rank what I think are the "best" in terms of schools, nice neighborhoods, and affluence, but these aren't my personal top picks.

1. Oxford
2. Hattiesburg
3. Madison (too suburban)
4. Ocean Springs
5. Hernando (too suburban)

My personal picks for where I'd live if I had to move back after college.

1. Oxford
2. Clinton
3. Ocean Springs
4. Hernando
5. Clarksdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,938 times
In reading various posts from numerous people I have a few things to say. First and foremost Mississippi is my favorite place in the world. I grew up in Corinth, Mississippi with many of the smartest, loyal, and charming people I have ever known. Corinth was 20 minutes from one of the best inland lakes in the US, had amazing boutique men and women's shopping, and a really solid school system. Corinth is a great place. No it is not a large city - thank God!

Oxford, Mississippi is the crown jewel of the state. Imagine Charlottesville, Virginia and all it's splendor on a smaller scale. It is the home to the NUMBER ONE CHEF in the south, John Currence - City Grocery, an amazing university, world class music and cultural events, great schools, and it is VERY SAFE, unlike a large city in the US. It has all the great things of a large metro area cramed into a small town.

As far as raising children. It is the VERY BEST. Children need to be raised in a environment where they actually have time to emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically develop. The rat race of most places is not the place for kids - it is amazingly unhealthy for kids to always, always be on the run from event to event or living in a car on long commutes to and from school. Lets imagine being a kid for a minute - biking around georgous Oxford, Mississippi on a sunny day eating ice cream with my buddies in a safe and clean environment. Like I said - awesome for kids.

Outside of Oxford and Corinth, there is Madison, Tupelo, Hattiesburg, Vicksburg, Ocean Springs, and the list goes on and on.

Lastly, I will leave you with a quote. "Mississippi may not be #1 in economic opportunity, but Mississippi is definitely #1 in people".

Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,608 times
I'm so glad that the people who bash the friendly folks of mississippi don't live there- they would ruin it!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,389 times
Just like every state, Mississippi has a little bit of crime. Overall, if you love God and people and the country, you'll love Mississippi! We have a lot to offer!!! I particularly prefer Northeast Mississippi as the best region in the state, but anywhere in Mississippi, in my opinion, is awesome!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 28,375 times
My other half just moved back to Cleveland, MS (his home) I'm from MO. Here people are friendly and to each his own. I've been there to visit and being a nature lover I thought it was very beautiful country. We've been talking about Me and my children moving down to MS. Now as I've been researching to find just the right place for my family... People still have a lot of resentment and hate in their hearts. My children are little and eyes have not been opened to these kinds of issue. I don't want them turning into hateful people because of others views. Where is a good place to move where people are accepted no matter what race? I love Mississippi but that to me is a reason not to move.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

I don't mean to bash anyone or any place. See yesterday I got on here and was looking around the Southaven area at schools thinking Memphis wasn't far from there and I could work there. So I was looking into schools and someone's comment was about some jenes 6 or something like that. I had no idea what she was talking about so I looked it up on the web and was mortified that crap like that still goes on and with kids. It's hard enough fitting in and learning about yourself others and how the world works. No child should have to deal with hate crimes. That being said. I want to Move to Mississippi. I visited this year and I thought it was beautiful and was a shutter bug the whole time. I didn't have any bad experiences while i was there. In fact I met a lot of good people. I was not far from Delta State. What I've been running into most with the beginging of this adventure is I'm in the Computer field and jobs are a little hard to come by. Jackson and Memphis seem to be my best bet for a job. And the school thing yesterday scared me. Just being honest no disrepect.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM

What part of Desoto County would you recommend for good community, schools, etc. and do you know of any places more near Cleveland?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
Best schools in DeSoto County are probably Hernando, DeSoto Central and Lewisburg. Lots of nice subdivisions throughout that area. Cleveland isn't a bad town and is actually somewhat charming in my opinion.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I just checked out the profile of Cleveland and noticed the population dropped 13% from 2000-2009.

Any idea why ?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:20 AM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
And where do you live in MS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi