U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM

80 posts, read 927,269 times

Advertisements

Hi All - there is a wonderful Thread in the AZ forum called "Arizona - city by city." Each poster answers a specific list of questions. No ranting, one line comments, or promos allowed. Just good, straightforward info on each city. I dont know how to make this a sticky but I thought this thread would be useful for people looking to move here to Mississippi!

Area you are describing:
Weather:
Schools:
Commute:
Food:
Shopping:
Air quality:
Economy:
Crime:
Housing prices:
Good neighborhoods:
Culture:
Stuff to Do:
Other:

I will start this off and post for the 3 cities I've lived in, if you happen to live in the same city please still answer the questions and give your opinions also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM

80 posts, read 927,269 times
Area you are describing:
Gautier

Weather:
Like most of the Gulf Coast, short winters long summers. Winters aren't too bad it gets cold but dont expect any snow lol. Summers are VERY hot and humid!

Schools:
all of Gautier schools are part of the Pascagoula school district. there are 4 elementary schools, one middle and one high school. All have very strict uniform dress codes (khaki or navy blue pants, white red or navy blue collared shirts)
There is also a community college.

Commute: if commuting to pascagoula during rush hour im guessing 10 minutes. If commuting to ocean springs or Biloxi going hwy 90 will be stop and go traffic and take forever, the interstate is more smoother.

Food: 2 Mexican resturaunts la fiesta and san Marcos. Country gentlemen. Toms extreme pizzaria. New York style pizza. And hucks on the cove which is very good. And of course your fast food places minus taco bell and arbys and stuff.

Shopping: treasure hunt. Belk. Jcpenney and Sears.

Air quality: ok but with the poagie plant in moss point if the wind is blowing just right it smells very nasty.

Economy: in my opinion not very good.

Crime: I would say a little above average, a lot of burglarys, domestics, drugs and drive by shootings in the bad neighborhoods

Housing prices: I have never bought a home only rented but I would say from what I've seen it is affordable and decent.

Good neighborhoods: hickory hills, point clear, stonegate

Culture: not sure how to answer this, there is a large Hispanic and African American population.

Stuff to Do: city park, fishing, movie theater

Other: I personally disliked living in Gautier.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM

119 posts, read 318,493 times
I will do Hattiesburg since I live here now. I will do Greenville in a bit, since I just typed up all about Greenville and my computer crashed!

Area you are describing: Hattiesburg
Weather: Long hot and humid summers with short, very mild winters. Rarely do we see snow here.
Schools: From what I know (I have no kids) the Hattiesburg city schools are not as good as the surrounding area schools. A lot of people here do private schools, but I do not think public schools are that bad.
Commute: Most people who work here live in this area, but I work with a woman who lives in nearby Laurel, which is a little over a half-hour away as the crow flies.
Food: You can get all sorts of different food here in Hattiesburg. We have many different culture restaurants, and of course, your good ole Southern cookin! (my favorite )
Shopping: Hattiesburg has great shopping, as this area is pretty bustling (for Mississippi that is) and you can find pretty much anything you need.
Air quality: Just like the rest of the Deep South, the humidity can be brutal and make breathing difficult, and allergies can be bad here. But I was born and raised in the Delta, so I can take it!
Economy: Hattiesburg seems to have a pretty good economy and is doing well from what I know.
Crime: If you avoid the certain, rough areas, you will avoid crime. This city is very safe.
Housing prices: Pretty good around here!
Good neighborhoods: I live in the area around the University of Southern Mississippi, and I really like it. This is a nicer, middle class area. Other nice areas are the Country Club, West Hattiesburg, and the Canebrake neighborhood. Canebrake is the richest area around here, and one of the richest in the state. It's full of huge homes situated back amongst the piney woods- beautiful!
Culture: Hattiesburg is full of many different people, so I do not know how to answer this really. The area is fun and vibrant, and to me, Hattiesburg feels a lot bigger than it really is.
Stuff to Do: Tons of stuff to do. Short weekend trips to the Gulf Coast, great shopping, water parks, Southern Miss events, etc. Look around and you can find many cool things!
Other: I love living in Hattiesburg! Me and my boyfriend will be moving out this fall, but that is simply because we want to move on out to a small town. If you are considering moving to this area though, or a job brings you here, I can guarantee you will like it!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM

93 posts, read 186,250 times
I'll do Ridgeland. I've lived here for 23 years but my husband has lived here all of his 52 years.

Area you are describing: Ridgeland

Weather: We have a very short spring and fall here; the weather seems to go straight from winter to summer. Summers are hot and muggy. Winters are usually mild but sometimes we get an inch or two of snow.

Schools: Very good public school system. We also have a couple of private schools and they are also good.

Commute: Commuting to Jackson is not too bad, usually 20 to 30 minutes from any part of Ridgeland to downtown. If you are trying to go to Rankin County it will take longer as "there is no good way to get here from there", as they say. The trip to Clinton and on to Vicksburg is much better since you can go around on the Natchez Trace now.

Food: There are plenty of good restaurants here, from the simple Mom & Pop type Mexican restaurants to high end places like A.J.'s, Amerigo and Parker House. We are also close to good places to eat in Jackson and Madison, such as Mama Hamil's southern buffet. The food there is so good it would make a puppy pull a train, y'all.

Shopping: Again there is a good selection of stores. We have Northpark Mall with anchors like J.C. Penney and Belk, plus specialty stores like Indian Cycle & Fitness. We have four grocery stores including the new high-end Fresh Market. That reminds me, we have a new shopping area known as Renaissance with a variety of stores from Smoothie King to Lane Bryant to Barnes & Noble.

Air quality: good.

Economy: The crunch has affected us too, but for the most part the economy is doing well.

Crime: Crime is low in Ridgeland. We have a good police department too.

Housing prices: I think they are on the high side, although they have come down some in the last five years or so. Seems to me that an 1,800 to 2,000 square foot house is around $150,000 to $200,000. We have a few areas which sell lower than that, but not many. There are also areas of town with houses in the $500,000 and up range.

Good neighborhoods: There aren't really any 'bad' neighborhoods here. I will say that those farther north are probably considered "better" than those near County Line Road.

Culture: Ridgeland was originally a planned community. In 1853, James B. Yellowley founded the community of Yellowley's Crossing (later named Jessamine, after his wife). Edward Treakle and Gordon Nichols, two real estate developers from Chicago, purchased the land from Yellowley and established Highland Colony. The Town of Ridgeland was surveyed and platted in the chancery clerk's office in 1896. The developers' plan was to entice people from the North to move down South.

The community grew from a tiny little town to a lively suburban area. The population in 1980 was only 5,000; today it is over 20,000. It is a nice, clean place to raise a family, with good schools and kid-friendly activities.

Stuff to Do: The Barnett Reservoir is right next door so there is plenty of boating, fishing and other water activities at hand. The Recreation and Parks Department also sponsors many events (http://www.ridgelandms.org/rec_and_parks/events.html - broken link). Then there is biking, hiking or driving along the Natchez Trace parkway. There is plenty to do right here, but we are also close to ameneties in Jackson. New Orleans, the Gulf Coast or Memphis are only three hours' drive away.

Other: City website www.ridgelandms.org Ridgeland Tourism: http://www.visitridgeland.org/ Other links: Welcome To Ridgeland, Mississippi (http://www.ridgelandms.org/links.html - broken link)

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM

61 posts, read 141,055 times
Area you are describing:
McComb, MS

Weather:
Summers are long, hot and humid. Winters are short, mild and wet.

Schools:
McComb PS, Parklane, St. Alphonsus, North Pike, South Pike. Southwest Community College, which, I am told, has a great nursing program.

Commute:
75 miles to Hattiesburg, down 98. 70miles to Jackson, up 55. 95 miles to New Orleans, down 55, and about an hour and 15mins to Baton Rouge cruising LaHWY 16. About 20minutes to Brookhaven.

Food: Mostly fastfood and commercial chains. Ruby Tuesday's, Tortilla Soup, Santa Fe. Locals are The Caboose (which is the second restaurant owned by a family from LA) - not kid friendly, considered our "fine dining." The Dinner Bell - southern cooking; seems to be pretty popular among the retired community. The IceHouse - local bar. Buddy's - local sports bar that has awesome tamales.

Shopping:
Not much. Wal-mart. The mall has Sears, JCP, Belk, The Children's Place, Rue 21, Bath and Body Works.

Air quality:
No idea.

Economy:
According the the data I found on here, the March unemployment rate was at 11.1%, higher then the state average.

Crime:
I'd say a little above average for other towns of equal size. There have been a lot of thefts and break-ins reported lately. Check out the newspaper: enterprise-journal.com: The one newspaper in the world most interested in this community.

Housing prices:
Depends where you are looking. North Pike is the most desirable b/c it is the better of the public schools. South Pike is cheapest b/c the school is on the lower end. In my experience, the people who own in S. Pike who are also upper middle class or wealthy all send their kids to Parklane.

Good neighborhoods:
Delaware Ave. is one of the main drags. North is considered better. Just over (west) I55, new neighborhoods are starting to pop-up.

Culture:
McComb is part of the Mississippi Blues Trail. The Train Depot has a small RR museum that follows the history of the trains in McComb. We used to host an annual Iron Horse Festival, but the budget hasn't allowed it since 2008. McComb recently built a rather large sports complex that occasionally hosts event. IMO, it hasn't paid off.

Stuff to Do:
Percy Quinn State Park: Boating, cabins, trails.

Other: I'm ready to move away from here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi