U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 AM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrooks601 View Post
Dear NON-Mississippian:

That farm boy you see at the gas station did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.

The red dirt -- it's called clay. Red clay. If you like the color don't wash your car for a couple weeks -- it'll be permanent. If you like the taste of it -- visit in July when the Neshoba County Fair is going on.

We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it. It's a family thing here - we bond over it.

If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, someone will shoot it out of your hand. If you are my friend Sara's husband, he might drown you --and in Tunica County, he will get away with it.

So you have an eighty thousand-dollar car. We're real impressed. We have a quarter of a million-dollar combine that we only use two weeks a year.

We eat dinner together with our families. We pray before we eat (yeah, even breakfast). We go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays and we go to high school football games on Friday nights. We still address our seniors with "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am," and we sometimes still take Sunday drives around town to see friends and neighbors.

They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Don't like it? I-55 goes two ways - I-20 goes the other two. Pick one.

The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season or dove season. Both are holidays. You can get pancakes, cane syrup, and sausage before daylight at the church on either day.

So every person in every pickup waves? Yeah, it's called being friendly. Understand the concept?

That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot -- his name is "Sir," no matter how young he is. And the cops pull you over, because you are probably driving like an idiot

Men open doors, pull out chairs, and stand up when a woman enters or leaves the room. They also take that damn hat off their head for prayer and the National Anthem, and you should do the same.

And finally, we have three religions down south....Baptist, Presbyterian, and Football. yes we LOVE our "mediocre" teams, why wouldnt we? It is called school spirit and pride -- maybe you should try it out.

I don't really care how YOu do it in your town, If it is so great there, then STAY THERE! Just don't come down here and put down our values.
In case anyone wonders why DH & Kids begged me for years to say "OK, we'll move.".....

Right under the surface.... just below the howdy-doody act... too many Mississippians are full of Rage, Insecurity, and Gender Issues.

I will add, though, that every town of any size in Mississippi has a nice enclave of people who are every bit as up-to-date and mentally healthy as anywhere in America. And a quarter-million will buy you a nice 'starter home' in one of those enclaves. You'll see a lot of 'eighty-thousand-Dollar cars'. My old town (Madison) had something like twenty RRs (most belonging to one collector), a couple of Bentleys, and a Lambo or two. S-Class and 7-Series were thick as Flies. And your neighbors' kids will Honeymoon in Bora Bora. People you know will go to Vail in Winter (Vail's more wholesome....they could afford Aspen, though). Virtually everyone you meet will have been to Europe, if only on a class tour that they worked to finance. You'll meet lots of gourmet cooks, who understand healthy eating. Jackson's Junior League has put out two of the best Cookbooks ever written.

Madison, Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Laurel, McComb, Brookhaven, Natchez... all have circles of lovely people who can think beyond beauty pageants and football games. The smarter kids decades ago developed the habit of searching-out alternative music. Now, it's standard culture for the best & brightest of Mississippi's young to ignore Pop Culture. They listen to German and Swedish groups, just like kids do in IQ meccas like Santa Monica, Mercer Island, and Edina, Mn. Oh, and until recently, kindly, temperate, reasonable Methodists were the dominant religious sect. All the Synagogues are Reform (Fiscal Conservative/Social Moderate). The state has many fine people, and it's not that difficult to find them.

Mississippi is not entirely backward and reactionary.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-02-2011 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: и
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 AM

591 posts, read 744,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wax View Post
It seems like whenever you hear folks talk about "the worst state for BLANK" Mississippi gets brought up. Education, Litter, Obesity, so many mentions of low scores. I've been to Gulfport before and had a great time. I find the people there (as with with most the deep south) quite friendly. Is MS really as bad as statistics make it out to be?
Actually Kentucky got it for litter.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
..Right under the surface.... just below the howdy-doody act..........
Careful, now.....you're "fixin' t'" give away your age!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 AM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Careful, now.....you're "fixin' t'" give away your age!
You know, I never stopped to consider that 'Howdy Doody' might be anything other than the colloquial adjective term it's become. I was envisioning something like the grotesque subterranean people in 'A Boy and his Dog', or in any event, some sort of self-conscious, stylized, exaggerated 'Country' persona. I always assumed it meant ersatz folksy.

So, I looked it up, and Howdy Doody was THIS:
Howdy Doody - YouTube

Generally, the term is applied to Mississippi's Governors, whichever pseudo-folksy Goober is in office (and no, I wasn't around for the coining of the term 'Goober', either). "Is anybody really buying ------'s Howdy Doody Act?"

Come to think of it, the current Gov is sort of like an overstuffed Howdy Doody. So maybe the term isn't too off the mark. Then again, that Puppet is vastly more articulate.

Anyway, now I know what a 'Howdy Doody Act' really is. Thank you! Now that I know it refers to an actual something, I'll apply the term with more precision.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: and...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
You know, I never stopped to consider that 'Howdy Doody' might be anything other than the colloquial adjective term it's become................Anyway, now I know what a 'Howdy Doody Act' really is. Thank you!..........
Kowabunga! Methinks I have given my age away!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 PM

8,230 posts, read 18,468,038 times
Gosh. I think we watched that show after school every single day.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

616 posts, read 726,603 times
I knew a guy from Mississippi when we worked offshore in Houston. He always talked about how much he hated growing up and living there(As evident by many of the posts in this topic). He never had anything good to say about the place which makes me never wanna visit, frankly.

But my question is this, if so many people say it sucks to live in Mississippi, and so many that say it's Heaven on earth....who are us outsiders to believe? maybe you guys should post a poll on it to get some accurate numbers or at least let others see what the ratio to Love vs. Hate is for the state. Because it's obvious a lot of people love it and a whole lot of people hate it.

I've never stopped in Mississippi except one time for some sweet peaches and plums on the side of the highway headed from Savannah back to Texas. and the restroom of course. but after hearing this guy talk about his homestate of Mississippi like that makes me believe there's nothing to be proud of..except for the super sweet peaches and plums of course...yummy

Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM

30 posts, read 51,515 times
I've lived in Mississippi for 1 month now, and coming from Australia I can say there is no better place left in the world than the south. Magical state Mississippi, the longer people put it down, maybe the better? as it'll remain our secret!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM

14,149 posts, read 19,674,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I knew a guy from Mississippi when we worked offshore in Houston. He always talked about how much he hated growing up and living there(As evident by many of the posts in this topic). He never had anything good to say about the place which makes me never wanna visit, frankly.

But my question is this, if so many people say it sucks to live in Mississippi, and so many that say it's Heaven on earth....who are us outsiders to believe? maybe you guys should post a poll on it to get some accurate numbers or at least let others see what the ratio to Love vs. Hate is for the state. Because it's obvious a lot of people love it and a whole lot of people hate it.

I've never stopped in Mississippi except one time for some sweet peaches and plums on the side of the highway headed from Savannah back to Texas. and the restroom of course. but after hearing this guy talk about his homestate of Mississippi like that makes me believe there's nothing to be proud of..except for the super sweet peaches and plums of course...yummy
Your experience largely depends on your background and what you enjoy. If you go there expecting to some liberal or hyper diverse state then you will be dissatisfied. Although if you can venture off the interstates, immerse yourself with the people and towns, it can be a very different experience. One of the best vacations I have ever had was in Hollandale.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,820 times
you know it's sad that people put Mississippi on bottom of everything. I have been all over the world and many states in the USA and I can honestly say there is no place like home in Mississippi. look at the statistics as we are the most giving state in the union. Come to think of it let the rest of the country think we are bad and that may keep them out and not bring their liberal unamerican thoughts here.

Last edited by Teddy Jackson; 10-01-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi