Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM

352 posts, read 775,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
A mediocre team beat another mediocre team. Wow!

Yet you should celebrate that win because it means soooo much! It was State's first bowl appearance and win in like 10 years or so.
Mississippi State's final NCAA ranking for 2010-11 was #15.

They shouldn't celebrate a win or they shouldn't celebrate TOO much because football is just a sport? Thing is, different things are important to different people. Lots of people take pride in the sports teams they like, this happens everywhere. Nothing wrong with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM

190 posts, read 690,061 times
Quote:
Politics: Gov. Haley Barbour--need I say any more?
Yes. Please explain.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM

77 posts, read 275,895 times
Quote:
I know many on this forum will disagree with me, and that's fine. People form different opinions about things, and I completely understand that. What I'm about to type is my experience and my experience only. I do not mean that what I'm about to type is objectively true. It's merely my subjective experience.

Mississippi is the worst state in the Union, hands down!! I've lived in other states, Cali, Michigan, Louisiana, and I've been to just about every state in the lower 48 except North Dakota (will be traveling to Alaska next month). Mississippi sucks.

Before I get to what sucks, allow me to tell you the positives. There's not much traffic here and that's good--not much traffic because not many metropolitan areas--and even in Jackson, Southhaven or the Coast, traffic patterns are predictable and you can avoid congestion. It's not like Chicago where it takes hours to get anywhere by car.

People are friendly to your face (no telling what the say behind your back and that's true of anywhere). People nod to you on the street or say hello. That's nice. I've caught myself doing that outside of Mississippi and you get no response from the person you're acknowledging.

Property values are still quite cheap in Miss. and the overall cost of living is lower than other areas, like say Atlanta, which is hundreds of times more expensive than living in Mississippi's largest city (Memphis).

Virtually little crime in Miss. I've heard that Jackson is bad, but when I lived there, I never experienced any crime committed against me. In fact, I rarely even locked my door when I lived there.

Beauty: There's an abundance of scenic beauty in the state, but you need to take it in during the Fall or Spring because Winter is rainy and summer is too durn hot.

Now for the bad: When I last lived there, I worked for the AG's office and we did a survey of people's internet connectivity. We found in 2006 that 76% of Mississippians who had internet in the home were still on dial-up. Reason: affordable high speed is not available in rural areas. We also found that only about 34% of the state's population had internet access at home. Those were depressing numbers for what we were trying to do. This matters because if you go to rural areas to visit friends, like I have to do, then you won't have internet access for a few days unless you drive to town and try to find an unsecured wifi.

Culture: most Mississippians are hyper-enthused about sports. People seem to be ga-ga about sports--all levels, especially youth sports. I'd venture to guess that most folks' lives revolve around whether or not little suzy or johnny can hit, kick, or tackle. Then there's the college sports--and you don't want to try and engage the rabid State or Ole Miss fan because they're ridiculous. It's as if they eat, sleep, and breathe their mediocre team's fortunes on the field or on the court--and both teams are really bad. Don't tell their fans that.

Hunting rules all. Wives complain of losing their husbands during the autumn for deer season. Men seemed distrustful of me because I refused to go hunting with them. Hunter's camo is everywhere, even trucks are colored to look like hunter's camo.

The cops: they're all over the place. mississippi was the first time I ever experienced a police road block for no reason other than to check drivers out, where they're going, etc. Don't mess with Mississippi cops--they have little to do other than to harass people from out of state.

The people: they're generally racist (not all of them). They blame black people and Mexicans for all their woes and then they'll say "now I'm not racist...I have black friends..." People are braggarts in Mississippi. They brag about material wealth, if they have any, which reveals their simple-mindedness. They eat like ravenous wolves and then claim they aren't fat. Everything in the state seems to revolve around food and race. Last thing on the people--most of them are idiots, yet they'll tell you that you are the idiot.

Jobs: there are few decent-paying jobs in the state. Up to the 2000 census, Mississippi lost a net population each ten years. I think that's telling.

I knew and know of quite a few folks who came to Mississippi from other states. In 9 cases out of 10 they agreed that Mississippi was the worst state in the Union. They claimed to hate the state and its arrogant people. If you don't believe me, read the posts by Mississippians on this forum and you'll get a sense of their arrogance. The common refrain among its people is "...if you don't like it here, then you can leave..." So I left--and best decision I ever made. NOLa is much better even though it too is corrupt place. The culture makes up for the negatives.

Politics: Gov. Haley Barbour--need I say any more?
Good riddance, y'all don't hurry back now

Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,793,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
Yes. Please explain.
Haley Barbour is a moron. You mean you haven't noticed? I mean, Sarah Palin is more intelligent than that Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-27-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM

25,342 posts, read 16,989,062 times
Quote:
Hiram Revels was Mississippi's first black U.S. Senator and he could and did read. He's just one example of black elected officials who could and did read during Reconstruction.

The above post is from the Dunning School version of history, which is inherently white supremacist. The Union did not station huge numbers of black troops in Mississippi, nor any other state during Reconstruction.

You need to quit listening to the SCV or UDC and read Foner's Reconstruction (1988). Much of what you posted about the post-war state is myths--racially motivated myths--especially the part about blacks not being able to read during this era (and the innuendo that black people are a "problem". Sadly this is the prevalent view among whites in Mississippi). There were Freedmen's Bureau schools in the state at the time and slaves oftentimes broke the law to teach themselves to read during the antebellum period.
Nah. You're not even close. You don't know nuthin'.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,793,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. You're not even close. You don't know nuthin'.
Perhaps you should visit the history forum on this site and see what others have to say about your Reconstruction mythology! I think your ideas contained in your previous post would be easily obliterated. You're hanging on to decades-old and racially motivated falsities.

If you're unable to do that, then at least pick up a book on the subject.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM

190 posts, read 690,061 times
Quote:
Haley Barbour is a moron. You mean you haven't noticed? I mean, Sarah Palin is more intelligent than that Moderator cut: language removed
Wow, what a thoughtful and intelligent response. You must be more of a Blanco type? Really, tell us what you have against Gov. Barbour and what he has done for the state in his time in office.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM

25,342 posts, read 16,989,062 times
Quote:
I know many on this forum will disagree with me, and that's fine...........
Actually, as he demonstrated, that is not the case at all. Those who disagree with him - sometimes because they have the facts and he does not - are subjected to rather vociferous 'correction'.

No matter. Most of us are happy here, most of us like our Governor (that's how he got elected), most of us like our neighbors no matter what their color, and most of us pay our taxes and obey most of the laws most of the time.

Mississippi is a relatively inexpensive place to live. My home of Tupelo has not grown all that much in the last decade, but it has grown. Last week we hosted 65 baseball teams in a tournament and next week there will be nearly 100. And we can handle all of them.
There is a swim complex proposed that will attract regional swim meets.
All these are positive things and are open to everyone. And we are very, very proud of where we are in the big picture.

So I repeat myself:
Nah. Mississippi's OK. We take a lot of heat from a lot of folks who have never been here, and then there's that stereotype thing.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM

241 posts, read 408,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
You learn something new every day.
That's funny,

Old 06-28-2011, 01:10 PM

129 posts, read 360,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's right! And in at least one area Mississippi is far from the bottom. That's in the percentage of students we graduate from high school. Last place goes to................................................ ........Nevada!
Mississippi was also the first state to have a computer in every school classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi