Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

We are moving due to my husband getting a job at the Memphis airport. Does anyone have any information about the small towns around Olive Branch like Miller, Stonewall, Bright or Pleasant Hill? I have a son in first grade and need a good preschool for my 4 year old. We are looking at renting a home. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I don't think those are really towns in the sense they are incorporated, more of neighborhoods. Olive Branch is, itself, a town. To the west is Southhaven, to the east and parts to the south are unincorporated Desoto County. To the south of Southhaven is Hernando.

All those areas south and west of Olive Branch (and to the east, and Olive Branch itself) are nice, mixture of suburbs and still some grazing/horse pasture, some little farms as you go farther south into Desoto County. In about ten years I expect the farms and grazing land will be gone and it will go to the suburbs. However, don't confuse Olive Branch or Southaven for a small town, they have a sizable and fast-growing population. As you go further south (farther from your employment) you will get more and more of the rural, small town feel.

Don't live around the memphis airport, I assume since you are looking into Olive Branch as opposed to memphis you already know that.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 9,113 times
Thank you for the information. We know we want to live within a 30 minute drive to the airport. Coming from a town of about 500 people anything will be larger I'm sure. I'm looking for low noise, good schools and a safe area. Is there anything like this in Desoto county?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyew0907 View Post
Thank you for the information. We know we want to live within a 30 minute drive to the airport. Coming from a town of about 500 people anything will be larger I'm sure. I'm looking for low noise, good schools and a safe area. Is there anything like this in Desoto county?
Desoto county is a good choice for you - there are still plenty of areas with low noise and all of Desoto is safe (the farther you move away from the Memphis border, the better, but also a farther drive for you). You may want to go to the Tennessee forum and also post your questiions in the Memphis subforum to get other opinions.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Hernando...

Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
gtk

9 posts, read 33,960 times
Hi Amy,

Most of the communities you mention are just "outskirts" of Olive Branch.

Stonewall is just on the outskirts of the very small town of byhalia instead of Olive Branch.

We are currently building a new subdivision in stonewall, and there are a couple of established subdivisions around stonewall.

The miller area also has a new subdivision going in as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
Default We possibly will be moving to Southaven, MS

I have been to DeSoto county many times as I have a friend that lives in Horn Lake. I am ready to relocate and I believe my husband is starting to agree that relocation does seem to be in order. Being a city girl from New Orleans, Horn Lake just does not feel right to me, but we both really like Southaven. We are meeting with a real estate agent this February and I would really like to see some subdivisions in nice, family areas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM

53 posts, read 332,050 times
I just moved from Southaven. Moderator cut: edit I lived in Ross Pointe Farms there and LOVED it. I taught in Southaven too. The neighborhood are basic houses with lots of familys and children everywhere. There are sidewalks throughout the nieghborhood with a park in the middle of it. It's a very nice safe area!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-29-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: no advertising allowed on City Data

Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM

78 posts, read 394,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyew0907 View Post
My daughter works for the FAA near the airport & lives in Hernando. It takes her 30 minutes or sometimes less

There are a few modest rental houses around our neighborhood, but even those run $1000 to $1200

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 41,175 times
I recommend Hernando, low crime and very pleasant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi