U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,066,940 times

Advertisements

I don't like BBQ flavored food at all. It irritates my nose and the taste is too hot/stingy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM

40 posts, read 59,854 times
I want to The Shed recently in Ocean Springs and thought it was terrible. I've entered the amatuer division in a few BBQ contests and wouldn't have entered anything they served me. Looked great on Food Network, failed to deliver.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,189,461 times
There's Haute Pig, in Madison (Pronounced "Haughty".... much of the charm of the state lies in the deliberate mispronunciation of French words. Thus, 'Vieux Carre' becomes 'Vous Kuhraaaaaauuyee'. It is even considered bad form and 'pretentious' to correctly pronounce 'Croissant', even though the entire Middle Class is perfectly capable of doing so, and probably do do so, when they're in Paris.). Anyway, Haute Pig gets rave reviews, and the parking lot is always packed. And it's the closest thing to the Interstate in the whole town... Chocolate & Creme striped roof (I sooooo wish I'd bought the land under that thing when it was up for grabs...)... so no establishment could be easier to find. Don't let the chic facade fool you: the Barbeque is so good, I'm told it will have you thinking you're having an Astral Projection (I take this to mean a combination of 'utter bliss' and 'sensory overload').

Also in Madison, there is Mama Hamil's, which is beaucoup (pron: 'boo coo') hard to find (up the hill on acreage, in a big, barnlike new building, next to a cemetery, and across from a biggaiss, cheaply-executed Faux-Southern-Mansion Bank, on the old highway (51), at the southern edge of town (but the entrance is on Magnolia Street). Anyway, the entire carnivorous population of Madison County considers Hamil's to be a foretaste of Heaven. Personally, I grew up so poor I have no good memories of 'Home Cookin'. But for people of Middle and lower-middle-class origins, the food is utterly ambrosial, and apparently evokes all kinds of wonderful associations.

The only downside for the OP will be that there is so much other fabulous Southern food at Mama Hamil's, the unsurpassable Barbeque may get lost just a bit, among the other delicious distractions. This is as close to going home to Mamaw's House as you can get.

(Please be advised that this is mostly heresay, relayed by a big, giant Food Snob. I'm an Organic-Vegetarian/Gym-Bunny. Bigtime. When I go to Aspen, people recognize me from the Vegan places in Malibu. And as a Native American, I cannot handle anything with Sugar...which would include most 'Southern Cooking'. But I know how to work a deal. And Good Ol' Boys are putty in my hands, after I've had people take them to these places. While the charms of Pulled Pork and 'Nanner Puddin' may be lost on me, I appreciate their efficacy in team-building. And by the time I've had someone run up to the Feed Trough, on consecutive meeting days, at these two Barbecue establishments, they are incapable of telling me 'no'.)

Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM

48 posts, read 144,389 times
Being a native Texan that will be moving to MS (Madison to be specific) next summer, this is good info to have

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,939 times
Mississippi has lots of BBQ establishments, and some of them can even be considered "good" (see above), but in general the state isn't known for good 'Q. The sauce tends to be thin and spicy, and "BBQ" is usually synonymous with "pulled pork sandwich". Some places also have smoked chicken or pork ribs (usually the same sauce). Delicacies like sliced brisket or beef ribs are nowhere to be found.

The best BBQ I ever consumed in MS wasn't at a restaurant, it was at a frat party at MSU a few decades ago. It was their home-coming party (Pig Pickin'), and an alumni brought in a trailer-size smoker and cooked up a few whole hogs. The bonfire was about 20-ft tall (I helped build it), and the 'Q and pit beans were amazing. But maybe that was the beer talking...

Personally, I now prefer the heavy/sweet mid-western style sauces, Memphis dry rubbed ribs, and occasionally the mustard/sweet Carolina sauces. Someone else mentioned Alabama, so I'll throw out that until you've had ribs-n-white-bread at Dreamland BBQ (the original shack in the 'hood, NOT the new chain stores), you haven't had ribs.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

1,741 posts, read 3,003,672 times
Thank you, GG. How far is this from Baton Rouge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There's Haute Pig, in Madison (Pronounced "Haughty".... much of the charm of the state lies in the deliberate mispronunciation of French words. Thus, 'Vieux Carre' becomes 'Vous Kuhraaaaaauuyee'. It is even considered bad form and 'pretentious' to correctly pronounce 'Croissant', even though the entire Middle Class is perfectly capable of doing so, and probably do do so, when they're in Paris.). Anyway, Haute Pig gets rave reviews, and the parking lot is always packed. And it's the closest thing to the Interstate in the whole town... Chocolate & Creme striped roof (I sooooo wish I'd bought the land under that thing when it was up for grabs...)... so no establishment could be easier to find. Don't let the chic facade fool you: the Barbeque is so good, I'm told it will have you thinking you're having an Astral Projection (I take this to mean a combination of 'utter bliss' and 'sensory overload').

Also in Madison, there is Mama Hamil's, which is beaucoup (pron: 'boo coo') hard to find (up the hill on acreage, in a big, barnlike new building, next to a cemetery, and across from a biggaiss, cheaply-executed Faux-Southern-Mansion Bank, on the old highway (51), at the southern edge of town (but the entrance is on Magnolia Street). Anyway, the entire carnivorous population of Madison County considers Hamil's to be a foretaste of Heaven. Personally, I grew up so poor I have no good memories of 'Home Cookin'. But for people of Middle and lower-middle-class origins, the food is utterly ambrosial, and apparently evokes all kinds of wonderful associations.

The only downside for the OP will be that there is so much other fabulous Southern food at Mama Hamil's, the unsurpassable Barbeque may get lost just a bit, among the other delicious distractions. This is as close to going home to Mamaw's House as you can get.

(Please be advised that this is mostly heresay, relayed by a big, giant Food Snob. I'm an Organic-Vegetarian/Gym-Bunny. Bigtime. When I go to Aspen, people recognize me from the Vegan places in Malibu. And as a Native American, I cannot handle anything with Sugar...which would include most 'Southern Cooking'. But I know how to work a deal. And Good Ol' Boys are putty in my hands, after I've had people take them to these places. While the charms of Pulled Pork and 'Nanner Puddin' may be lost on me, I appreciate their efficacy in team-building. And by the time I've had someone run up to the Feed Trough, on consecutive meeting days, at these two Barbecue establishments, they are incapable of telling me 'no'.)

Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM

616 posts, read 726,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Mississippi has lots of BBQ establishments, and some of them can even be considered "good" (see above), but in general the state isn't known for good 'Q. The sauce tends to be thin and spicy, and "BBQ" is usually synonymous with "pulled pork sandwich". Some places also have smoked chicken or pork ribs (usually the same sauce). Delicacies like sliced brisket or beef ribs are nowhere to be found.

The best BBQ I ever consumed in MS wasn't at a restaurant, it was at a frat party at MSU a few decades ago. It was their home-coming party (Pig Pickin'), and an alumni brought in a trailer-size smoker and cooked up a few whole hogs. The bonfire was about 20-ft tall (I helped build it), and the 'Q and pit beans were amazing. But maybe that was the beer talking...

Personally, I now prefer the heavy/sweet mid-western style sauces, Memphis dry rubbed ribs, and occasionally the mustard/sweet Carolina sauces. Someone else mentioned Alabama, so I'll throw out that until you've had ribs-n-white-bread at Dreamland BBQ (the original shack in the 'hood, NOT the new chain stores), you haven't had ribs.

I see. and I was waiting on somebody to say dry rub. that's how we like to do it in Texas. sauce is sacreligious unless you don't wanna taste the meat.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM

1,053 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Respectfully, I have to say I think you haven't hit the right joints. I know Bishop's in Saltillo has beef brisket, and so do the Tops BBQ (Memphis based chain) locations in Mississippi. I have eaten at quite a few very tasty BBQ joints in Mississippi. If you are ever in Clarksdale, drop by Abe's BBQ and get you a Big Abe.

Here is another to look into.

Ubon's - The Barbeque of Yazoo

Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 4,065,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't like BBQ flavored food at all. It irritates my nose and the taste is too hot/stingy for me.
That's not the food, that's the sauce. Leonard's BBQ (as seen on DD&D - Memphis BBQ episode) doesn't use any rubs while smoking and sauce is optional on all mead dishes. It's just great, smoked meat. I choose to add the dry rub to my ribs.

Better yet, here's a video of them cooking without any spices at all.

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: Leonard's BBQ - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,189,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Thank you, GG. How far is this from Baton Rouge?
You're welcome!

It used to take us 4.5 hours or so, to get from Madison to Lafayette (my favorite spot on the entire planet). So, 3.5 hours from Baton Rouge sounds about right. I looked up the mileage, and it's about 190, BR to Madison. That would be I12 to Ponchatoula, then I55 through Jackson. When you see the Washington Monument replica(a Cell Phone tower...) you know you're close to the Madison exit. Haute Pig is right there.... closest thing on the Eastern side of the interstate.

You also have the option, of course, of taking the scenic route, up 61, through St. Francisville to Natchez, then up the Natchez Trace, which will provide an exit at Ridgeland, which is adjacent Madison. Just head up Hwy 51 a bit, and Mama Hamil's will be up the hill on the left (their website, Mama Hamil's ,should give more specific directions than I can).

If you only have time for one BBQ place, I'd choose Mama Hamil's, since the Buffet makes for a much more instantly intense experience.

We've done that scenic route before, but deliberately ignored the time element, letting our Volvos run at their own pace (35 Mpg on the Trace! In a 940 wagon!). Most therapeutic. (those were the days... considering that my current ride costs DOLLARS PER MILE to operate, I no longer get any pleasure at all from drives in the country, up here in Oregon).

Oh, and If you're thinking of Booking accommodations in Madison, next time there's a Hurricane headed your way, the only hotel, so far, is the Hilton Garden Inn (you'll be within walking distance of a Kroger, and the excellent Bonefish Grill + an adjacent deli+ a Wendy's, and a minute or so drive to Beagle Bagel...in the same Normandy-style building with Circle7 'Outpost' http://circle7online.com/ , an outdoorsey venue which makes LL Bean look proletarian by comparison.). Haute Pig http://www.hautepig.com/ is about three minutes from the Hilton.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-22-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi