Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM

616 posts, read 852,985 times

Advertisements

I was wondering. all I ever see on TV about BBQ is Memphis, Nashville, and of course us Texas folk as the Kings of the Pit, but one would think Mississippi has a dog in this fight. What town is there in Mississippi that's known for it's BBQ that can hold a candle to Memphis or Texas? drop some names of restaurants and what town it's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 PM

767 posts, read 2,287,355 times
The Shed in Ocean Springs has pretty good BBQ, but its like Texas BBQ, it doesn't include Brunswick Stew. In Alabama and Georgia,most BBQ includes Brunswick Stew.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,577,131 times
Abe's BBQ in Clarksdale
Bishop's BBQ in Saltillo
The Pig Pen in Cleveland

Just 3 off the top of my head.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,835,797 times
I've been to The Pig Pen, and it's pretty good barbecue. A friend of mine lives just outside of Cleveland; he's a pilot studying at Delta State. Alabama barbecue (I'm from Alabama) doesn't INCLUDE brunswick stew, but a lot of restaurants do sell it. Alabama BBQ as I know it is chopped pork with red sauce and chicken with white sauce. But of course white sauce is good on any and all BBQ, so don't be bashful; that's the good stuff!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM

So all these good BBQ places, buy why hasn't Mississippi stepped up to the plate and entered some competitions then. ?? Who are the REAL Pit Kings of Mississippi? I want some actual names BBQ Kings and not just restaurants. that's what I'm asking why haven't yall put your Mississippi BBQ in the national spotlight? All I see is Memphis kicking everybody's but on that side of the River..why is that? When will there be a champion BBQ King to come from Mississippi? I hear yall talking loud but as they say, the proof is in the potato salad. Are yall really into BBQ'ing competition style like that or no?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,577,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
So all these good BBQ places, buy why hasn't Mississippi stepped up to the plate and entered some competitions then. ?? Who are the REAL Pit Kings of Mississippi? I want some actual names BBQ Kings and not just restaurants. that's what I'm asking why haven't yall put your Mississippi BBQ in the national spotlight? All I see is Memphis kicking everybody's but on that side of the River..why is that? When will there be a champion BBQ King to come from Mississippi? I hear yall talking loud but as they say, the proof is in the potato salad. Are yall really into BBQ'ing competition style like that or no?
Not sure I hear anyone talking loud, but Yazoo's Delta BBQ in Nesbit, MS won 1st place in the whole hog division this year. Will research further, this was just a speedy search for 2011 results only. I am curious now... will try to compile a list of previous winners.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,901,319 times
10 Bones BBQ won 2nd in whole hog. Their restaurant is in Southaven, near my house. Natural Born Grillers won a few years ago and they are from Olive Branch. While in the restaurant and catering business, they occupied the same location that 10 Bones is in now.

Yazoo's has a nice site - Yazoos Delta Q World Champion BBQ Team!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM

767 posts, read 2,287,355 times
[quote=ShipOfFools42;20947494 Alabama barbecue (I'm from Alabama) doesn't INCLUDE brunswick stew, /QUOTE]

Born and raised in Alabama and I've ate a lot of Brunswick stewin Alabama BBQ joints.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,901,319 times
Every time BBQ comes up in a discussion, I have to post this.

The BBQ Song - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Not sure I hear anyone talking loud, but Yazoo's Delta BBQ in Nesbit, MS won 1st place in the whole hog division this year. Will research further, this was just a speedy search for 2011 results only. I am curious now... will try to compile a list of previous winners.
I've heard of this outfit but I didn't know they won 2010. good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi