U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM

3,253 posts, read 4,368,588 times

Advertisements

On another part of the forum I had asked about the best places in the South in regards to somebody in my situation. I'll be graduating from Community College in December, the opportunities for a University are extremely slim as my family and I cannot afford it and it won't be too long before I'm on my own. I've been saving up money, and it's going to take awhile (at least some years) for me to go anywhere. The job situation here is terrible, I was wondering if there is anywhere in NE Mississippi or Central Mississippi (outside of either Columbus or Tupelo or Jackson) that could fit with a good economy when the economy bounces back.

A few towns I thought would be a good fit for me:
Eupora
Houston
Okolona
Walthall
Pontotoc
Pittsboro
Ackerman
Louisville
Carthage(?)

Questions? Am I being naive? Suggestions?

Last edited by Desert kid; 09-23-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,744,863 times
The Toyota plant is between Tupelo, Pontotoc, and New Albany.

Numerous major plants are underway at the Columbus-Starkville airport, which is commutable from Eupora, Starkville. Columbus, West Point or Louisville.

DeSoto County, Madison County, Rankin County, and Hattiesburg-Laurel by far will have the most jobs.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The Toyota plant is between Tupelo, Pontotoc, and New Albany.

Numerous major plants are underway at the Columbus-Starkville airport, which is commutable from Eupora, Starkville. Columbus, West Point or Louisville.

DeSoto County, Madison County, Rankin County, and Hattiesburg-Laurel by far will have the most jobs.
So my pick of towns wasn't too bad. Seems to me the work is around Jackson, Memphis and Columbus. Thanks for the info brickpatio!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM

107 posts, read 360,320 times
Default Why Give Up On A University Education?

You shouldn't give up on a full four year degree. There are options. I was from as poor a family as ever existed, but I got my Bachelor's Degree. How? By enlisting for a four year term in the Navy - then using the GI Bill to pay for my college education. - There's no reason you can't do that too.

And who says the economy will "bounce back" anytime within the next several years. I'm guessing it'll be at least ten to fifteen years, before we recover from the disaster that our big time bankers and big time auto companies visited upon us, and on our national debt in bailing them out.

I'll also quibble with another poster's statement that "numerous" companies are opening in the "Golden Triangle" - that is, in the Columbus, Starkville airport area. A very small number are, that's true. - But let's not get carried away.

And a single Toyota plant doesn't mean a job to any and all applicants.

Join a branch of the military and get yourself qualified for education benefits and home buying benefits. It only takes a single hitch, and then you can live your life without struggling quite so hard.

Best of Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
On another part of the forum I had asked about the best places in the South in regards to somebody in my situation. I'll be graduating from Community College in December, the opportunities for a University are extremely slim as my family and I cannot afford it and it won't be too long before I'm on my own. I've been saving up money, and it's going to take awhile (at least some years) for me to go anywhere. The job situation here is terrible, I was wondering if there is anywhere in NE Mississippi or Central Mississippi (outside of either Columbus or Tupelo or Jackson) that could fit with a good economy when the economy bounces back.

A few towns I thought would be a good fit for me:
Eupora
Houston
Okolona
Walthall
Pontotoc
Pittsboro
Ackerman
Louisville
Carthage(?)

Questions? Am I being naive? Suggestions?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Columbus has Severstall, a huge Russian owned steel plant, PACCAR which builds engines for 18 wheeler trucks, Aurora Flight Services which I believe makes drone aircraft, American Eurocopter which builds helicopters, and Kior which is a bio fuels plant getting underway. DeSoto County is adjacent to Fed Ex and the Memphis airport, so there are many jobs in this area. A company building solar panels just announced a plant in Olive Branch.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM

185 posts, read 360,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Columbus has Severstall, a huge Russian owned steel plant, PACCAR which builds engines for 18 wheeler trucks, Aurora Flight Services which I believe makes drone aircraft, American Eurocopter which builds helicopters, and Kior which is a bio fuels plant getting underway.
The biofuels plant near Columbus will be small; there will be a couple of bigger ones elsewhere in the state. Columbus also has Stark Aerospace which, like Aurora, builds remotely piloted aircraft. In addition, a plant manufacturing silicon will open in Columbus probably late next year or early in 2013.... the silicon will be used in the automotive and electronics industries, and the plant is projected to employ almost 1000 people.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM

It appears the plant making silicon is called Calisolar.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill O'Blarney View Post
You shouldn't give up on a full four year degree. There are options. I was from as poor a family as ever existed, but I got my Bachelor's Degree. How? By enlisting for a four year term in the Navy - then using the GI Bill to pay for my college education. - There's no reason you can't do that too.

To be honest I did think about giving up on it, but I decided not to. As I have stated elsewhere on the forum it has been subject of discussion and disagreement in my family over what I should do with college and where it's taking me. I've had the military option levied at me before as well.

And who says the economy will "bounce back" anytime within the next several years. I'm guessing it'll be at least ten to fifteen years, before we recover from the disaster that our big time bankers and big time auto companies visited upon us, and on our national debt in bailing them out.

I try to be optimistic about it, but I am unsure about it as well, but if there isn't any work then I can't make money, move away, achieve my dreams or anything. I mean, I always liked Mississippi but the situation I keep hearing about in the rest of the country is disheartening.

I'll also quibble with another poster's statement that "numerous" companies are opening in the "Golden Triangle" - that is, in the Columbus, Starkville airport area. A very small number are, that's true. - But let's not get carried away.

And a single Toyota plant doesn't mean a job to any and all applicants.

Join a branch of the military and get yourself qualified for education benefits and home buying benefits. It only takes a single hitch, and then you can live your life without struggling quite so hard.

Best of Luck!
My comments in bold.

I'm also wondering if anybody can tell me anything I should probably know about the towns I've chosen before I even consider jumping into it when the time comes?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM

190 posts, read 628,153 times
Really depends on what type of degree you have, regarding the towns, I suppose. Also, many companies have tuition reiumbursement programs that can help offset the cost of continuing your education. Several degree programs can be done primarily on-line now, plus the 4 year colleges also have branch locations in smaller towns offering some degree programs (MSU branch in Meridian, for instance).

Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Desert kid, the metropolitan area in the U.S with the lowest unemployment rate is Bismarck, North Dakota, at 3 per cent. That's due in part to oil and gas up in North Dakota. This is the state Capitol and supposedly a very clean, nice town. It may be cold up there, but at your age perhaps worth it to get into area with a booming economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi