Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, I support this Amendment 12 18.46%
No, I oppose this Amendment 50 76.92%
Not sure 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 PM

56 posts, read 88,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB1234567 View Post
This amendment would make birth control pills illegal since they could be used as a morning after pill. If this passes, guys, be ready to use a condom all the time.

If a woman gets cancer and is or could be pregnant, she will not be able to get chemo until she has the baby, no matter how aggressive and deadly the cancer is.

If this amendment passes, the government is making women's health care decisions instead of decisions being made by doctors and the patients themselves. This amendment isn't about abortion; there is only 1 abortion clinic in the entire state of Mississippi. It takes rights away from women.
well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,775,255 times
I believe we had the same thing come up in Colorado and North Dakota a few years ago. I can't speak for North Dakota, but Colorado's lost just barely. I wasn't for this amendment myself. First of all, as others have said, it was very vague. I also didn't appreciate how it seemed to me to be deceptive simply because of the fact that it was vague, and I thought it was "a sneaky attempt to ban abortion" as opposition would later word it.

I am one of those dreaded pro-choice people. I would never get an abortion myself, mind you. However I don't feel that it's my personal choice to dictate what other people do with their lives, bodies and choices. This is why I personally am against any kind of pro-life agenda.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 AM

17 posts, read 51,666 times
I'm glad I saw this. My wife and I just moved back to Mississippi and have seen the signs posted in support and opposition, but we had no idea what it was about. This prompted me to do my research. I have to admit that this is an ill-conceived attempt to ban abortion. As stated by others, the unintended consequences will be devastating and will waste many tax dollars in unnecessary litigation trying to clean up the mess it causes. I have no problems supporting a well-written, fully thought out piece of legislation...but this is not it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 19,858 times
Mississippi is: 1st in teen pregnancies, near or at the bottom of high-school graduation rates, the poorest state and the fattest state. How will bringing more individuals into society be an answer to any of our problems?

This initiative is pretty typical, infuriating, Christian-conservative, barbaric measure that routinely gets passed here. In '04, we had an initiative to ban gay marriage which passed by an over-whelming 86%. This one will pass by a similar margin, I'm sure.

I've always viewed the whole abortion issue like this: if terminating a fetus is equivalent to killing a human being, then is squashing an acorn on the sidewalk equivalent to chopping down an entire oak tree? Society will NOT in any way, suffer from the loss of a clump of cells. It WILL, on the average, suffer from the introduction of an unwanted citizen. Especially when we can't afford, nor are we willing to support our citizens via government programs once they pop out of the womb.

We're obsessed with the fetus from conception to 9 months. After that, we honestly couldn't care less what happens to it...so long as it goes to church and puts a dollar in the offering plate.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times
Abortion is one thing. I believe once the baby has a heart beat, it;s life and I personlly would not abort it. But that's just me. I totally respect and support current laws in this country.

Now regarding birth control. This is the reason why the rest of the country and the rest of the world look at MS and shake their heads.
If you want to forbid birthcontrol then you might as well outlaw masturbation because you are killing so many innocent sperms that could be potential babies.
But my guess is, that would never be brought up because now we are telling a man to stop pleasuring himself. That's just wrong.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,716,087 times
Every time some bunch of Pseudo-Christian Troglodytes in Mississippi stirs up some new horror against Abortion or Homosexuals, another batch of the state's Best & Brightest go rent U-Hauls...and head for better places. Frequently, they choose places as far away from Mississippi as they can get.

It's just such nonsense as this proposed legislation that led our kids to choose schools out here in Oregon. At their urging (which included declarations that they would not be returning to Mississippi after school), we followed. Our kids have sizable personal assets (their trust funds were started when each was born, and they've always made/invested money on their own). So, we're five stout individuals who are no longer paying Income Tax, or buying tags for luxury cars, in Mississippi.

Factor in the amount of business now being done by us outside Mississippi.... and multiply our family by a few thousand.... and you will begin to see how hurtful these little 'initiatives' truly are. People use proposals like these (regardless of whether they actually become law) as barometers. They are barometers of how crazy and backward the state's population is becoming. And with every U-Haul pulled out of Mississippi, by the capable and educated young, the state's population becomes still more crazy and backward.

The last thing Mississippi needs is another accelerant to its Brain Drain. The current proposed idiocy will probably not become law. The proposal to castrate Sex Offenders did not become law. But what does happen, when these things are proposed, is that the Thinking Few are led to evaluate their surroundings. They all-too-frequently come to the conclusion that Mississippi is a bad place full of mean people....a bad place only getting worse.

Whenever there is some new effort, by grandstanding politicians, to legislate morality, another batch of Mississippi's Best & Brightest type 'U-Haul Brandon' or 'U-Haul Tupelo' into their search engines (they used to haul out the Yellow Pages).... and Mississippi loses just a little bit more of her future.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,816,916 times
This is a mess. I hope if fails.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,955,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I believe we had the same thing come up in Colorado and North Dakota a few years ago. I can't speak for North Dakota, but Colorado's lost just barely. I wasn't for this amendment myself. First of all, as others have said, it was very vague. I also didn't appreciate how it seemed to me to be deceptive simply because of the fact that it was vague, and I thought it was "a sneaky attempt to ban abortion" as opposition would later word it.

I am one of those dreaded pro-choice people. I would never get an abortion myself, mind you. However I don't feel that it's my personal choice to dictate what other people do with their lives, bodies and choices. This is why I personally am against any kind of pro-life agenda.
In North Dakota it lost in the Senate 29-16, vote was in early April 2009

Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM

314 posts, read 1,100,888 times
A zygote is NOT a human being any more than an idea is reality. Most natural conceptions never make it to being viable babies. Thats a tradeoff for having the great advantages of sexual reproduction- nature experiments and quite a few of those experiments never make it to the assembly line, or if they do, the plug is pulled early on.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,712,075 times
We have these "personhood" things on our ballot here in COLO every few years and every few years these are defeated by 70% or more.

We always vote NO on them.

IMO these initiatives have serious constitutional issues since our laws do not recognize a human being until it's born.

Some of those who want these to pass have a deeper agenda to make all forms of birth control illegal as well.

Abortion is here to stay. I strongly favor we do all we can to educate people so they don't end up with unwanted / unaffordable pregnancies and children that often end up neglected and abused who ultimately fill our prisons.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi