U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, I support this Amendment 12 18.46%
No, I oppose this Amendment 50 76.92%
Not sure 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,734,312 times

Advertisements

42% voting for it is still a significant minority. Probably the majority of Republicans, Conservatives and Christians as well as people from rural areas voted for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,331,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cut abortions? 40% of abortions are AA. in mississippi this means the poorest people, a large sector, will have many many more children. how does mississippi feel about that? but bottom line, 144,000 kids every year nationwide are being murdered and i did say murdered, more than 1/2 way thru the pregnancy. its gota stop. mississippi always had and always will have lots of guts.
thank u mississippi.
I'm sure the good people of Mississippi would have been grateful,had the proposition passed,that you were surely willing to send them a BIG,FAT check once in awhile to help pay for the medical care,housing and nutritional needs of all the extra poor,living under the poverty level children that would have been born in Mississippi as a result its passing! You're a great American!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
Whatever! I have never been prouder of Mississippi! Now those other states on the target list need to come through as well!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cut abortions? 40% of abortions are AA. in mississippi this means the poorest people.........
I wasn't too sure about your figures, so I looked it up. Seems like you are right, within reason:

Lest you feel these claims are an exaggeration, consider the numbers. According to the most recent census data available for race (2000), black women make up 12.3% of the female population in America2, but accounted for 36.4% of all U.S. abortions in 20063 that according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The Guttmacher Institute (AGI) puts the percentage of black abortions at 30% of the U.S. total4. Their most recent numbers are from 2008. Similarly, AGI tells us that Hispanic women5 accounted for 25% of all U.S. abortions in 20086, though they made up just 12.5% of the female population in 20007. The CDC lists the percentage of Hispanic abortions in 2006 at 20.1%8. Compare those numbers to non-Hispanic, white women, who make up 69% of America's female population9, but account for only 36% of all U.S. abortions10 (36.1% according to the CDC11).
The Case Against Abortion: Abortion and Race

It doesn't break it down for Mississippi, though, where 40 percent of our population is black. For right now, it an interesting, but moot point. More women - and even more girls - should make the decision to not get pregnant if they don't want to, thereby avoiding the whole question.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,082,620 times
Abortions are not strictly about birth control.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,076,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Would..."classify every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof." and outlaw abortion.

And do you think it'll pass?

Personhood Mississippi | Home

Personhood initiative: What will effects be? | Hattiesburg American | hattiesburgamerican.com

Mississippi voters can decide 'personhood' of the unborn, court rules - CNN
Mississippi's fate is sealed, like others who have turned their back on God and his word-now the state that used to put him first NOW has spit on him!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,119,649 times
I only heard about this bill the other night, so I'm not too savvy on the details of it, though I do think there is *some* validity to the idea of conception=start of life train of thought, was there some other thing in this bill that was tacked on to make even some of the most Conservative counties in Mississippi vote against it?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Well, from what I understand, the bill stated that personhood begins at fertilization. Well, this sounds ok to the unknowing. Only about 20% of fertilized eggs result in normal pregnancies, and there are times when a fertilized egg can be life threatening to a woman (i.e. ectopic pregnancies and molar pregnancies). In these cases, under this law, the woman is prohibited from seeking an abortion to save her life. In addition, should a woman be found to have cancer, treating it might be illegal since the therapies would potentially harm the child. Essentially, the mother is just a vessel whose job is to carry the child. Period. Her own life is secondary from the moment of fertilization.

There is also the issue of IVF. If fertilized eggs are persons under the law, this creates a whole host of problems. Is this procedure now illegal since most fertilized eggs don't live once implanted? What do you do with the other "persons" (fertilized eggs)?

Also, the law would now make the morning after pill illegal so women who were raped or, frankly, just got drunk and realized the next morning that they made a horrible mistake would have to have the child. The number of unwanted children would most definitely rise, though quantifying that number is practically impossible.

It was a very badly thought out law. Many, many people I know are anti-abortion, but they voted against this because of all the issues.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,331,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, from what I understand, the bill stated that personhood begins at fertilization. Well, this sounds ok to the unknowing. Only about 20% of fertilized eggs result in normal pregnancies, and there are times when a fertilized egg can be life threatening to a woman (i.e. ectopic pregnancies and molar pregnancies). In these cases, under this law, the woman is prohibited from seeking an abortion to save her life. In addition, should a woman be found to have cancer, treating it might be illegal since the therapies would potentially harm the child. Essentially, the mother is just a vessel whose job is to carry the child. Period. Her own life is secondary from the moment of fertilization.

There is also the issue of IVF. If fertilized eggs are persons under the law, this creates a whole host of problems. Is this procedure now illegal since most fertilized eggs don't live once implanted? What do you do with the other "persons" (fertilized eggs)?

Also, the law would now make the morning after pill illegal so women who were raped or, frankly, just got drunk and realized the next morning that they made a horrible mistake would have to have the child. The number of unwanted children would most definitely rise, though quantifying that number is practically impossible.

It was a very badly thought out law. Many, many people I know are anti-abortion, but they voted against this because of all the issues.
You explained that very well Peppermint. Reality is the people behind this proposition are itching for a court battle so they can attempt to overturn Woe Vs Wade. They either thought Mississippi was firmly enough entrenched in The Bible Belt to pass this without reading the fine print or the voters of Mississippi were not educated enough to understand it and would just automatically vote to "save babies."But even "poor,uneducated people" realized this proposition went too far and were not going to tolerate one segment of society telling them what methods of birth control they could use [some would have been deemed illegal had this passed] or tell them that a fetus,not viable out of the womb, was more important than a womans life or treatment choices in the event of an illness. I've been trying to tell my Yankee friends for years that we Southerners my talk slow but that dont make us stupid.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You explained that very well Peppermint. Reality is the people behind this proposition are itching for a court battle so they can attempt to overturn Woe Vs Wade. They either thought Mississippi was firmly enough entrenched in The Bible Belt to pass this without reading the fine print or the voters of Mississippi were not educated enough to understand it and would just automatically vote to "save babies."But even "poor,uneducated people" realized this proposition went too far and were not going to tolerate one segment of society telling them what methods of birth control they could use [some would have been deemed illegal had this passed] or tell them that a fetus,not viable out of the womb, was more important than a womans life or treatment choices in the event of an illness. I've been trying to tell my Yankee friends for years that we Southerners my talk slow but that dont make us stupid.
I was disappointed by the number of people who voted for it. I think many people were sucked in by the rhetoric: "A vote against this initiative is a vote for abortion." That was all over my FB news feed. Things are rarely so black and white, as you know. I had many friends who were told they were going to hell for voting against this, and the Bible verses were flying on FB. I wish people had as much passion about our economy, our elderly, and our veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi