U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,578 times

Advertisements

I'm retired, forced onto Social Security Disability, and after ten years, I am feeling like my old self again. I live up north, and the weather is literally, killing me. I've wanted to move, but I am hesitant because I've never lived anywhere else.

I found this site, and read many posts about the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. I think that could be the place for me, but I have some questions. I need to live in a safe area, i.e. public transportation, small town flavor, mixture of population ages, colleges nearby, and employment for son. My son wants to go with me, because it's miserable here in the winters.

He's college educated, but cannot find work here, and though I am retired, I would like to have the option to work. I used to be a paralegal, but I don't want the stress of a full-time job. I think, I'd like to try something new, and therefore, I need options here too.

Also, I need to relocate to an area where the cost of living is not out-the-roof, so the coastal areas are probably out. Yet, I love the water, and would like to be able to drive there, or catch public transportation to spend the day at the beach.

I love being outside in the warm weather! I love the small town flavor, and hopefully I can find one there. I love reading, so being able to, perhaps, ride my beach bike to the library, shopping, etc., would be a plus!

Please recommend a few places where both my son and I, could find happiness! I doubt I will move again, but I want to be sure that he can start a life wherever we move to. I think I may be looking for something that does not exist, but if you don't ask, you will never know . Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM

13,344 posts, read 8,417,098 times
My best bet?

Take a trip to Ocean Springs, MS.
City of Ocean Springs on the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Bring your toothbrush, though, because you'll want to stay!

Don't know about jobs; Mississippi has a fairly high rate of unemployment, but if Junior is enterprising and willing to go to work every day, he'll find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or