Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

I am a native Californian, but I am in the military so I have travelled and have lived all around the U.S. Recently, my job has taken me to Camp Shelby, MS, for a few extended trips. I just want to apologize to Mississippians for my ignorant views of your state before I visited there.

I have always heard that Mississippians represent the absolute worst of the old South, and that state is a place to avoid at all costs. The reality doesn't match the stereotypes. The locals I encountered there were extremely friendly and genuine. The food is excellent, the weather is nice and the scenery is great. Mississippi is one of those states that people love to hate, but I suspect if more people visited, they'd realize there's a lot more to love than to hate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
That's what a lot of us have been saying for years. Not saying Mississippi is perfect (it's not, and you can easily find pockets of people ready to re-start the "War of Northern Aggression"), but it is nothing like the state that existed 20-30 years ago nor does is resemble the mythical land that is portrayed by Hollywood.

Thank you for speaking up.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am a native Californian, but I am in the military so I have travelled and have lived all around the U.S. Recently, my job has taken me to Camp Shelby, MS, for a few extended trips. I just want to apologize to Mississippians for my ignorant views of your state before I visited there.

I have always heard that Mississippians represent the absolute worst of the old South, and that state is a place to avoid at all costs. The reality doesn't match the stereotypes. The locals I encountered there were extremely friendly and genuine. The food is excellent, the weather is nice and the scenery is great. Mississippi is one of those states that people love to hate, but I suspect if more people visited, they'd realize there's a lot more to love than to hate there.
Please don't go and tell everybody.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM

48 posts, read 175,460 times
We are moving there next summer and I'll admit, I was hesitant at first when DH said that he had an interview in MS. We went out there with an open mind and I was pleasantly surprised. We decided to take a 2nd look and we decided that it was the place for us! We passed up 3 other offers in our home state to take the one in MS and we are excited

Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times

I Love Mississippi Mousepad by ilovemystate- 81338384

Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM

55 posts, read 136,689 times
I'm enjoying my new state as well Love Mississippi

Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 PM

119 posts, read 362,329 times
When I leave the South and people hear my accent and find out I am from Mississippi, some have some pretty crazy reactions. Yes, I have been asked if I had shoes growing up, if Deliverance is a good representation of the South, and all sorts of other ignorant and rude comments. People base a lot of their perceptions of our state from Hollywood and the Civil Rights Era. Mississippi is a wonderful place- my favorite state! Thank you for saying this! But don't go tell everyone.... we want to keep Mississippi the way it is, an undiscovered gem! I would not be pleased if we became like North Carolina and lost a lot of identity from hordes of people moving in.

You are welcome back to Mississippi anytime! Come see more of our state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi