Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM

114 posts, read 495,174 times

Advertisements

I dunno, every time a crime is in the news its a black.

But I'm also willing to debate the bias media in which they do not accurately report or fail to report the news to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
I dunno, every time a crime is in the news its a black.

But I'm also willing to debate the bias media in which they do not accurately report or fail to report the news to.
Certainly not every time. After all the biased news media did report Barbour's crime, lol!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Certainly not every time. After all the biased news media did report Barbour's crime, lol!
Crime? Why hasn't he been arrested?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Crime? Why hasn't he been arrested?
I guess you didn't get my joke.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

OK here's the breakdown:

189 were already freed from prison.

13 were chronically ill and had had their sentences suspended. They remain under supervision and can be re-jailed if they get out of line.

3 got conditional clemency, which means they, too, are supervised and better not screw up again or else they go straight to jail.

5 were mansion trusties. They had worked their way up the prison system through consistent good behavior and lived in a situation where if they wanted to just walk off they could.

I don't expect a single one of the people who called for Barbour's head to take their words back. The point is, that we were all instructed by the press to become outraged and most of us obligingly did so. The "outrage" light came on, and we responded.

http://nems360.com/view/full_story/1...es_left_column

Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OK here's the breakdown:

189 were already freed from prison.

13 were chronically ill and had had their sentences suspended. They remain under supervision and can be re-jailed if they get out of line.

3 got conditional clemency, which means they, too, are supervised and better not screw up again or else they go straight to jail.

5 were mansion trusties. They had worked their way up the prison system through consistent good behavior and lived in a situation where if they wanted to just walk off they could.

I don't expect a single one of the people who called for Barbour's head to take their words back. The point is, that we were all instructed by the press to become outraged and most of us obligingly did so. The "outrage" light came on, and we responded.

http://nems360.com/view/full_story/1...es_left_column
Far from true. Barbour outraged me the moment I met him in 2003 when he was running for his first term. Word to the wise: if you ever have lunch with Haley, don't get too close. He might eat you!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM

114 posts, read 495,174 times
I just know Barbour did nothing while Governor.

I think the lack of common sense in Mississippi is what puts people like that in office.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 24,675 times
I am seriously unqualified to comment on the intricacy of this topic, but I think it is a strange thing for a single man to be able to undo in a single day decisions juries have agreed upon and courts have ruled on. This kind of power seems dangerous to me, and we need to change that.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Bringing this topic back to the top.
The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Haley Barbour saying he did, indeed have the right to pardon the felons in question.
Quote:
While the pardons, which went overwhelmingly to people who had already finished their prison terms, were met with widespread bewilderment and even anger when they were issued in January, the governor’s motives were never legally challenged. But the state attorney general, Jim Hood, began a push to have them thrown out. .....
....The five who are still in prison are beginning the procedures for release, which should happen within the next 48 hours, said a spokeswoman for the Department of Corrections. And the men who worked at the Governor’s Mansion, including four murderers whose pardons attracted the most controversy, now have clean records. .......
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/us...y-barbour.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi