U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,396 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job opportunity in Booneville. I've never been to MS. I'd like to know more about the community. I understand from research it's about 25K people. What's it like there? Are the people friendly? We currently live in S. GA. We moved here from Houston, TX ........ big change! I am not sure I am too excited about another small town. Is there anyone out there who cares to convince me otherwise? We are pretty simple people but do enjoy some finer things ~ in the way of food & wine mostly. We have a daughter who's 22mos and another due to be born this Friday. So right now life is mostly about them. Tell me what you know please.[/color]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 PM

17 posts, read 86,165 times
I think that area in hilly and nice nature wise. Would see snow every year. Cannot speak for the town. Never been there. That whole area is close to alot of metropolitian areas within an hours drive. That all I know. Sorry

Old 09-16-2006, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 12,681 times
Default Booneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by asti2784 View Post
My husband is considering a job opportunity in Booneville. I've never been to MS. I'd like to know more about the community. I understand from research it's about 25K people. What's it like there? Are the people friendly? We currently live in S. GA. We moved here from Houston, TX ........ big change! I am not sure I am too excited about another small town. Is there anyone out there who cares to convince me otherwise? We are pretty simple people but do enjoy some finer things ~ in the way of food & wine mostly. We have a daughter who's 22mos and another due to be born this Friday. So right now life is mostly about them. Tell me what you know please.[/color]
I'm haven't been to Booneville in a while, but I went to school there in the the mid 80s. There is a good community college there. It is like any other rural community in north MS and the south of its size. The county is dry though. I remember going to Baldwyn (just across the county line), just south of Booneville to get beer while in school. Not sure if you can drink in restaurants in Booneville.

There are probably decent restaurants there and Baldwyn has a good one called the Old Post Office. Tupelo is south of both Booneville and Baldwyn and I know it well. I grew up there. It has seen tremendous growth north of town toward Baldwyn in a community called Saltillo.

If you want to experience better restaurants and things to do, Tupelo is a better option than Booneville, though like I said, I haven't been to Booneville in a while.

If you don't have to necessarily have to live in Booneville, consider Saltillo which is growing a lot and probably has better public schools than Booneville or Baldwyn, but I can't say for sure.

I hope this helps you.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,392 times
Hello. I was just wondering if you ever found the info you needed on Booneville.My husband and I are from Memphis TN and seriously considering moving there but I too need a little more info on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated , Thanks,

Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 AM

35 posts, read 181,254 times
I don't think the populations is 25k, more like 2500.Well, maybe closer to 5k. Maybe they were counting the students. They have two grocery stores, and will have a super wally world soon.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 AM

49 posts, read 117,660 times
My sister goes to school there and we used to visit often,when I lived in Tupelo. Well, in my option. It is boring and there's nothing there. I didn't like Tupelo, either.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
BB1

3 posts, read 21,621 times
Default Booneville, MS

You are correct that the county population of Booneville is around 25,000. The city is near 10,000. I live just north of the town and it's a typical small town. There are great people and it's clean, with a nice community college. Obviously, there's not much to do outside of that. Convenient to Booneville is Tupelo (40,000 city), just 20-30 minutes south. I would say that you will enjoy the peace of living in the small town, but the convenience of having just about anything right down the road in Tupelo, which is rapidly growing. Tupelo has a host of restaurants, from all your chain favorites (Chili's, Olive Garden, Outback, etc) to local favorites, like Vanelli's (Greek-Italian). Don't worry at all about the schools. Booneville will have one of the better public school districts in the state and probably one of the better schools in the region. The only major drawback will be real estate. It's much higher there than most towns that size. If you make the move, make sure you look within the "old city limits" so that you will be within the city school district.
Good Luck & God Bless!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 26,632 times
Live in Tupelo and let your husband commute to Booneville. If it were not for the community college the town would have dried up years ago. Growth is flat. The taxes are the highest in Mississippi because of the petty infighting among the 4 or 5 different school districts there which should be consolidated into one system.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 20,071 times
We are looking to relocate to the Tupelo area from a small town in Indiana. My children are in Elementary School and have never been around African Americans. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but I'm being honest. I'm worried they won't fit in. They go to a school that is 100% white with a free and reduced school lunch % at 2%. The only thing around here is cornfields and farm tractors. My husband works with Toyota, and might have to go to Mississippi. Looking for good small towns around that area. Any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,587 times
Default Saltillo

Saltillo would be your place! Growing community, 6 miles from the Mall at Barnes Crossing in Tupelo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi