Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 PM

119 posts, read 362,518 times

Advertisements

OK so I have posted on out of state forums about good Southern towns, but I would prefer to stay instate. Me and my boyfriend are currently living in Hattiesburg right now. I am from Greenville and he is from McComb. Greenville is god awful now and I would not want to raise my kids there. I know the Delta as a whole is pretty bad, but I have done some research, and Greenwood seems like it is not NEARLY as horrible as Greenville. I absolutely love the old homes along Grand Boulevard, and there are other nice neighborhoods around town. The downtown does not seem nearly as dead as Greenville's and from what I hear, you do not have to fear for your life as much as you do in Greenville.

I know this sounds crazy to move back to the Delta, but I would be able to be closer to my family in Greenville, and the Delta does have that charm that has been taken over by the crime and poverty in most towns there. So, could y'all please tell me about Greenwood, I have only been there a few times.

Thanks!!!
-Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 AM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
Greenwood is great, however, the housing prices are overinflated due to Viking the biggest employer besides the hospital. If this company ever were to cut out anymore fat the housing prices will keep on dropping and what you see in Greenville is what Greenwood was less than 10-15 years ago. As for the schools unless you go to the private school there is no way of your child getting a half way decent education. The houses on Grand Blvd are great but they are old and expensive, unless you have a lot of disposable income to keep them running it will be hard. As for the crime, it is there most of it is not reported due to ignorance, look at the newspaper a 6 yr child was just reported with 2 STD's, burlaries, etc.. Many people in North Greenwood have money however if you did not come from money it will be hard to break into this group. If you do break into this group keep in mind the old saying "people whom were born and raised with money are usually more frugal than anyone else". Therefore, they are usually happy as long as you are keeping your money in Greenwood in their pockets. It is a small town and not much happens there so privacy is a big issue. You are limiting yourself in Greenwood since not many people can afford to buy a house there. Unless there is more business coming there it can soon be a ghost town just like Greenville just without the yellow water. It is all up to you and how you feel but why did you move away from Greenville in the first place is what you need to ask yourself?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM

513 posts, read 897,268 times
if you are seriously considering moving to the delta you should ONLY consider Cleveland. Greenwood is no better than Greenville, just a little smaller.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you for both replies. I actually moved from Greenville to go to college, and did not realize how bad it was until I left. I know the crime is most likely localized there, but was wondering if Greenville is overall more dangerous than Greenwood (or vice versa). I hear good things about Cleveland, but cannot find a lot of real estate there. If anyone recommends a good realtor, PM me...

Keep I am that I am just looking around for now. 6 months ago I would have NEVER thought of moving back to the Delta but now being closer to family would be a huge benefit...

Thank y'all!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
I would suggest trying a rental at this time until you know you really want to stay and get to know the area. Any realtor I would give you would not be tied to the Cleveland area. I do know that the area is nice I had an uncle that lived there once when in the Armed Forces, he told me if he ever went back he would live there again. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM

513 posts, read 897,268 times
yep, rent whereever you go here in the delta. i have friends that have had homes on the market for YEARS, nothing wrong with them or the neighborhoods just can't get a fair price. and no one is moving here, most sales are simply folks moving from one area of town to another, with the original owners leaving the area. so in other words there is a glut of homes on the market in most every neighborhood.

also, as said above Greenwood is very cliquish and if you were not born and raised there it takes years to be accepted, if ever. we bought a business there and as soon as folks realized the owner was no longer a Greenwood native many customers left us. some of the elected officials(this was 25+ years ago but things ain't much better) even had the nerve to say if we wanted their business it would take cash under the table! we stayed there for 15 years and never once did business with them either.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Maybe I'd find more real estate options in Cleveland if I broadened my search to "Mississippi Delta real estate".

Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,837 times
I was born and raised in Greenwood, my dad farmed Cotton and soybeans in the Delta and cattle in Carroll county. If I were to move back to that area I would move to the Carrollton/Carroll co. area, it close to Greenwood without the crime and depleted home values which is code for Black. In fact the reason for the decrease in population in the city of Greenwood is people moved to Carroll Co. to get away from the crime/blacks.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM

468 posts, read 786,302 times
Cleveland, my hometown, is the "Cadillac" of Mississippi Delta towns due to the presence of Delta State University. Real estate also has "Cadillac" prices for that reason. I think there is a cartel of property owners here conspiring to keep real estate overpriced. It's been a long time since new apartments were built on the west (good) side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi