Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

I don't live in MS, but have been there more times than I can count to visit friends, to dine out, etc. I've never seen a problem.

OB is just like every other modern American suburb as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
This is such a sad question. That anyone has to worry about this kind of thing in 2012 is just appalling.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 AM
bjh

^
Meaning? They've been reassured that things are not bad in the location they're looking at. I frankly think this is a ridiculous question, but I chose to answer in a straightforward way realizing that's what City-Data is for, so people can ask questions with answers that may seem obvious to others.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Right. Mississippi's history is what it is, and a lot of it is not much fun to read. I would imagine kimva2007 was overjoyed at the answers, and I expect she will be perfectly comfortable no matter what neighborhood she chooses.

Less well known is U.S. history. Teddy Roosevelt felt that black men should not be trusted with the right to vote, and Woodrow Wilson, when he was president of Princeton, refused to admit blacks.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 AM
bjh

^
That's the way it's always been, racism in every part of the country. But it is blown out of proportion when it occurs in the south because those reporting it have usually not been southerners. People from other areas of the country do not consider their own racism to be racism.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
This is such a sad question. That anyone has to worry about this kind of thing in 2012 is just appalling.
It might be a sad question, but I can tell you that the question gets asked by minority members every day - not just in the south but across the country. Yes people still do have to worry about this in 2012, and yes it's appalling, but that is the legacy of slavery and racism this country still is dealing with.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Does this even warrant a discussion? Simple answer is:

NO

..and, when I am the first to say "there are no stupid questions", this is pretty close.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
It might be a sad question, but I can tell you that the question gets asked by minority members every day - not just in the south but across the country. Yes people still do have to worry about this in 2012, and yes it's appalling, but that is the legacy of slavery and racism this country still is dealing with.
It should be mentioned that white people are also subject to being mistreated for their race. Racism is an universal phenomenon. Every race has members who mistreat others because they are not of the same race, whatever that may be.

When a white person is harassed or assaulted for being white, it is called a crime.

When a non-white person is harassed or assaulted for being non-white it is called a *hate* crime.

Hate is hate. And it's all unjust.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It should be mentioned that white people are also subject to being mistreated for their race. Racism is an universal phenomenon. Every race has members who mistreat others because they are not of the same race, whatever that may be.
If White people were looking to move into majority Black neighborhoods and experiencing problems, then I would take your comments seriously. Since White people in general don't move to Black neighborhoods and experience discrimination as a result, then I find your comment to be a waste of time, and an attempt to deflect from the more serious question asked by the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
When a white person is harassed or assaulted for being white, it is called a crime.
Wrong. This would also be a Hate Crime.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 11,019 times
Look, let me share some truths here - if you're close to Memphis, you're going to experience the most sneaky brand of racism you've ever heard of !! that's the "I'm not a racist RACIST", mostly hailing from the Memphis area, both Black and White Racists

The region has NOT matured contrary to proclamations made - the midsouth is still fraught with an undercurrent of racism ! THAT's why you have a WHITE EXODUS from the city of Memphis ! first out of Whithaven, then to Hickory Hill, then in the early ealry 90s to Cordova, now to Olive Branch, Hernando, Germantown, Collierville, Arlington, Bartlett and as far out as Fisherville.

Do not be fooled, the region is full of anti-Semites, Kluxers, rednecks and ghetto-boys with gold grills..

I lived outside Chicago for several years - Naperville, Skokie, highland Park

The Memphis MSA (which encompasses Olive Branch MISSISSIPPI) is far far behind areas in the south such as Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Huntsville, AtL, Greenville/spartanburg.

Take it from me, you WILL be stepping back in time (by comparison), and frankly there are much much better places to live and thrive in the south than the Memphis MSA

I would not recommend it, if given a viable option.

shalom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi