Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 26,163 times

Advertisements

First I would like to start off by saying I am by no means racist or prejudice. 75% of my inlaws are white or Italian and a rainbow tribe of cousins, nieces and nephews. My grandmother is mixed (black/white), great grandfather is white. I use to live in Mississippi when I was a kid and moved away when I was 15 which was in 1992. During that time blacks and whites did not live together socialize or even shop at the same stores. I live in a burb area of Chicago now and it is very mixed with all races and I love that type of atmosphere for my kids. I pan to bye a home in OB in the next few months and I am concern about the white/black tension that might still exist in such a small area like OB. I was told to stay away from Plantation Lakes and a few other areas. I just want to live in a nice burb area, raise my kids, feel safe and meet new people. Can anyone help me out with an open mind and free of racist remarks? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Olive Branch is not a small town. It's a sprawling suburban area that runs together with Southaven which combined have about 100,000 people. It's very diverse with lots of people moving in.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I've been kind of hanging back waiting for someone to answer.

To be perfectly honest I can't think of any place in Mississippi where a black family cannot live; don't know of any neighborhood that is not integrated.

I'm not saying they don't exist; maybe they do. They certainly used to exist. But today? I don't know where you would find such an area.

Welcome home.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks and Listener and I am very happy to be coming home. I'm just so use to the city life that I have to admit I'm a little scared. Also my kids have never been victim to racism and I dont even know if they know what the word means. Again thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM

375 posts, read 912,319 times
your post caught my eye. So sad that you even have to worry/think about this. Racism exists w/small minded ppl who can live anywhere, so just teach your children that they can talk to you about anything so if they ever come across this, they'll know how to handle it. My son is mixed and looks dark and had never dealt w/it until we moved to FL, where he was asked if he was "mexican" or "adopted" constantly. I even had ppl ask me!!! Luckily, he had a sense of humor about it but it was a little weird to him (as well as to me). don't live in fear, just teach your children how to handle diff. situations and they'll be fine.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 AM

9 posts, read 26,213 times
Nope, OB doesn't have any segregated areas that I know of. I lived there for about 5 years then moved to the sticks of DeSoto. I suggest Cypress Creek Plantation. It's a really nice looking neighborhood, Lewisburg schools, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay city taxes. There's a few other nice neighborhoods.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
As others have said, I don't know any neighborhoods that have racial issues. I'm barely over the line in Southaven and my subdivision is a mix of white, black, Asian, Indian and Latino. I see kids of all colors playing together.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone again for your input. I cant lie when I say I still think about the OLD Mississippi, but you all have eased a great part of that fear that was dwelling in me. I have been pre-approved for a loan and I will be moving and house shopping next week. Brc925 I have found a few homes in that area as well as Plantation Lakes. I have to admit I found more homes in the Plantation Lakes area and skipped right on by it because of the things I was told and I found I am able to get more for my bucks in PL. I will definitely be moving to the OB area mainly for the school system I have been told it has the best. And the beautiful homes and reduced crime rate compared to Memphis is also a plus. Thanks again and I promise to come back after I get settled with an update. God Bless and again thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimva2007 View Post
I will definitely be moving to the OB area mainly for the school system I have been told it has the best.
The entire school system in Desoto county is under the same administration so there isn't much difference between the schools when it comes to the curriculum.

OB is best when it comes to football since last year they went undefeated and won the state championship. Desoto Central (near my house) is has the best band in the area based on what I've read.

DeSoto County Schools | PowerIT

Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM

331 posts, read 603,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
As others have said, I don't know any neighborhoods that have racial issues. I'm barely over the line in Southaven and my subdivision is a mix of white, black, Asian, Indian and Latino. I see kids of all colors playing together.

^^ I love these types of neighborhoods!! Memphis reeks of racial issues. I am looking to be moving to N.Miss in the near future, and am glad to know that my kiddos will have different & same ethnic backgrounds around them!!

**Somehow each family has to break the cycle of racisim(by teaching love for everyone), cause it won't break by itself**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi