U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM

13,364 posts, read 8,425,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
White Southerners are the last demographic its not only okay but politically correct and encouraged to make fun of.
True enough. But we do it to ourselves. Turn on the radio and listen to us make caricatures of ourselves. The exaggerated accent; poor grammar; fake humility.....as long as that is waved around this way it is, people like Maher will find a ready source of entertainment.

The OP means well, I suppose. It's too easy for him to forget that Morgan Freeman, Oprah Winfrey, Shepard Smith, Sela Ward and William Faulkner are from Mississippi. And so much fun to believe that everyone is like Gomer Pyle.

Who is from Mississippi? Thought you'd never ask.....
List of people from Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,728,806 times
I thought liberals were accepting of all people and loved diversity. But I guess it only applies to those who share the same viewpoints as the liberals do. However, if you're white, male, Christian and a conservative, then you're automatically a backward bigot. Yeah, that's real open minded of them.

If they all hate the south so much, then why do they pay so much attention to us? Hmm... must be jealous of us.

Mississippi is fine the way it is. The people I know from this state are very nice and friendly.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-14-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,791,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I thought liberals were accepting of all people and loved diversity. But I guess it only applies to those who share the same viewpoints as the liberals do. However, if you're white, male, Christian and a conservative, then you're automatically a backward bigot. Yeah, that's real open minded of them.

If they all hate the south so much, then why do they pay so much attention to us? Hmm... must be jealous of us.

Mississippi is fine the way it is. The people I know from this state are very nice and friendly.
I think you found the answer. They are jealous. We in the South have not totally destroyed our states and here in North Carolina we were doing just fine before the influx.

As for thinking that the president is a citizen, I consider anyone ignorant or just doesn't care about their country that does think he is a NATURAL BORN citizen. Most of the evidence I have found to the contrary has not been in the American media but the rest of the world is laughing at us.

So keep bashing the true Americans and we will keep living our lives of victory. And we will keep realizing that a lot of you did not have the benefit of our conservative Christian upbringing and we just need to be tolerant of your ignorance and bad manners and hateful attitude.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM

3,227 posts, read 4,177,773 times
That was painful. Mostly, it was painful, because I can't stand to look at Bill Maher, with his filthy, greasy, drawnback Mullet hairdo. Yeccccch. Frankly, he looks like he ought to be sitting on some broken-down Mississippi porch, spitting tobacco juice. I mean, if my car suddenly stopped dead on the highway, in front of a shack with Maher sitting outside, I'd figure he was waiting for his cousins to get back from the WalMart with supplies for making another batch of Meth.

As for the video, it's a masterful bit of Operant Conditioning. Here. I'll let this guy explain: My Tram experience - Emma West and Somalia - YouTube.

We're coming up on a presidential election where the candidate supported by the Bad Guys (the big money interests which control both political parties) will be hard to reelect. So, it's very important to condition voters to associate desires for Freedom, Independence, Self-sufficiency, American Sovereignty....whatever....with guys like the ones in the video. Just as hoped, these poor men put a stink on every issue and stance they embraced.

A message implicit in this manipulative little vid is that disapproving of Obama makes a person ignorant, retarded, uncool, poor.... I can't tell if the laughter we hear is from a cued audience, of from canned laugh tracks. But it's use is rather obvious. And odious. I'd say those who produced the vid should be ashamed. But that would be foolish of me, since that bunch obviously passed the point of having any shame a long time ago.

I'm actually from a 'community' as poor and backward as the places where the makers of this 'piece' found those men. It's an hour's drive to anything approximating a major highway. Most of the people lived on dirt or gravel roads. Everyone was unusually poor...even for Mississippi. Virtually none of them were white. Mostly, people were some sort of racial mix, which included African or (like mine) Native American ancestry....generally both. These were people hit with the double whammy of low heritable IQ and rural poverty.

I am pretty certain that the makers of this piece of garbage culled at least 100 nonwhites for every impoverished white they found. And what a low blow, to set up for ridicule, an obviously Mentally Retarded man! Maybe they were trying to top themselves, when they filmed a man with Senile Dementia.

Yes. People who have lived in impossible situations their entire lives....people who live in unimaginable squalor....and people without teeth....express themselves awkwardly. From among those wretched men, the makers of this propaganda piece chose the worst of the worst. Their statements to the contrary should be given no credence.

To capture the views of Working Class Mississippi White Men, they could have gone to Flowood, and asked for the opinions of someone like this: Steven Webb Benchpress 4/1/2010 - YouTube . However, even if this magnificent stallion's views were the same as those of the men they did feature, the effect would not be the same, now would it? He's an extreme example: one of the most beautiful men in the world. But featuring him would be no more extreme than was filming men from the opposite end of the attractiveness continuum.

We tend to want to agree with beautiful people. We laugh along with beautiful comedians. We tend to laugh at ugly comedians. We tend to want to disagree with ugly people.

This video represents a calculated attempt to manipulate potential voters in the upcoming presidential election. Through subtle Operant Conditioning, someone is attempting to put a stink on opposition to Obama and his objectives. Here's the implicit message: "Opposing Obama = ignorance, poverty, unattractiveness, and being uncool."

Interviewing people at this venue would have yielded a more representative sample of ordinary Mississippians: Mal's St. Paddy's Parade & Festival 2011 - YouTube . But NO: the 'makers' had to venture into the places inhabited by the poorest and most isolated of the poor, and then limit themselves to white males.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-14-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,096,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A message implicit in this manipulative little vid is that disapproving of Obama makes a person ignorant, retarded, uncool, poor....
Or racist. I do not like Obama as president.

He may be a wonderful person, however, his politics do not appeal to me. My disapproval has nothing to do with his skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'm actually from a 'community' as poor and backward as the places where the makers of this 'piece' found those men. It's an hour's drive to anything approximating a major highway. Most of the people lived on dirt or gravel roads. Everyone was unusually poor...even for Mississippi. Virtually none of them were white. Mostly, people were some sort of racial mix, which included African or (like mine) Native American ancestry....generally both. These were people hit with the double whammy of low heritable IQ and rural poverty.
I am one of the most down to earth, humble people you will meet. You can be the most country, poor person in the world, but as long as you are a decent person I will be your friend. It seems the media portrays the image of southerners that people want to see. The image that makes people feel better about themselves at the expense of others. There is nothing wrong with being poor, as long as you are trying your best to make an honest living. Not everyone can be rich.

Being poor doesn't make you a bad person, just as being rich doesn't make you a good person. That is determined by your upbringing, and by your own desire to do the right thing. Sure, not everyone who was raised right turns out to be a good person, but you get what i'm saying.

I don't really have a point to any of this, other than there are alot of people who need to be a little more humble and accepting. To those who think they are superior, I don't care to be around them.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

12,104 posts, read 18,279,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Here is a report about Mississippi from a news program. It shows that typical people from Mississippi are very poor, backwards, and uneducated. Is this report about Mississippi an accurate portrayal of what life is like in Mississippi?

Bill Maher | Southerners | Primaries | The Daily Caller
Oh look a troll post! Bill Maher is a COMEDIAN (political commentary), not a newscaster. You do realize that, right?

It's like getting your news by watching Saturday Night Live. Be like the rest of the out of state posters that post here - get your sum knowledge of the south by watching "Dukes of Hazard" reruns.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

268 posts, read 641,899 times
Sure....Mississippi is CHOCK FULL of messed up people. But with the possible exception of Jackson,
it is a very good place to raise your family free from the wonders of the modern world. You don't have
to be a church-going bible-thumper to be interested in living in a place where your right to peace and
quiet and clean air is protected by those kinds of people. Sure, I can't marry my boyfriend, but I CAN
marry my COUSIN, lol... No one hates a religious zealot more than me, but I'll say one thing for em...they VOTE.
I get all the benefits of responsible citizenship without having to get involved MYSELF.
If I want to rape monkeys while shooting meth, there are plenty of places where I can do that if I have to
have that as part of my repertoire. But then there is Mississippi. There might be a little too much herbicide
in the water, but cotton is a demanding crop. I can hunt, fish, cook out, camp, breathe deeply, feel superior to
other folks and do it CHEAPLY in Mississippi. What's not to like? Bill Maher is a left wing doofus just like
Rush is a rightie. It's all sensationalism and money. You believe a man that makes a living being a smart-a$$
with an agenda, you are going to get a little more hyperbole than you get in the paper. Believe what you will.
Folks like MS just fine. I was educated there, and I can logic circles around other folks.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,096,074 times
I live in Mississippi, so I see what goes on here every day. I am telling you, even though Pelosi says she didn't cherry pick the people she interviewed, she did.

There are shacks here that look like what was shown in the video, but you don't just see them everywhere, you have to know what neighborhoods to find them in. They went to those neighborhoods and ignored the truly middle class voter.

Yes, Mississippi is the poorest state, but the gap isn't that wide outside of the poorest of the poor areas.

It's cool to pick on the south and Mississippi in particular, maybe because it makes people feel better about themselves. They can feel superior. It's a damn crying shame if you ask me and a major character flaw.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM

169 posts, read 182,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I live in Mississippi, so I see what goes on here every day. I am telling you, even though Pelosi says she didn't cherry pick the people she interviewed, she did.

There are shacks here that look like what was shown in the video, but you don't just see them everywhere, you have to know what neighborhoods to find them in. They went to those neighborhoods and ignored the truly middle class voter.

Yes, Mississippi is the poorest state, but the gap isn't that wide outside of the poorest of the poor areas.

It's cool to pick on the south and Mississippi in particular, maybe because it makes people feel better about themselves. They can feel superior. It's a damn crying shame if you ask me and a major character flaw.

Mississippi is a dump. Pelosi worked with what she had. she talked to those people she felt safe around. and I don't blame her.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM

169 posts, read 182,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I understand that you created an account just to respond to my post, so this isn't for you so much as it is for the people who will read it in the future.
Nonsense. who are YOU?

Quote:
Pelosi cherry picked the people from Mississippi that she wanted to show to the world. It was good for a laugh or two. There has been a mild backlash for her biased journalism, so in an effort to display the worst of both sides she goes to a welfare office in New York to interview poor black people. You still don't see it, I know.

Alexandra Pelosi's Inane Attempt to Offend 'Both Sides' - Ta-Nehisi Coates - National - The Atlantic

Welfare | Maher | Obama money | The Daily Caller

It's poor journalism. It's biased, and it's an attempt to display conservative republicans in the south as ignorant, toothless hicks. The New York welfare office video was created only as a reaction to the Mississippi video. If Pelosi was a serious journalist she wouldn't have her pieces aired on Bill Maher's political satire television program.
Maybe Pelosi wouldn't have to "cherry pick" if 99% of the people weren't exactly like the ones she chose to talk to.

Everythings' "poor journalism" when it comes to Mississippi. I hear that all the time. Maybe Mississippi needs to do an image facelift and change the perception of the state and it's people and the journalism won't be so poor all the time.

There's a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi