U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM

1,052 posts, read 2,103,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
Did I strike a nerve?

You guys want to get mad that the lady showed Mississippi in a bad light...lol..that's funny. It's something we should be used to by now.
No, you didn't strike a nerve, but if it makes you feel better to think you are "getting one over" on someone, or "getting under the skin" of someone then good for you.

I am not mad at all, I just pointed out the blatantly obvious bias and misconceptions of and against Mississippi. Just because I defend my home state doesn't mean I do it with anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM

169 posts, read 183,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
No, you didn't strike a nerve, but if it makes you feel better to think you are "getting one over" on someone, or "getting under the skin" of someone then good for you.

I am not mad at all, I just pointed out the blatantly obvious bias and misconceptions of and against Mississippi. Just because I defend my home state doesn't mean I do it with anger.
Everybody's opinions are different. there is no such thing as bias on that. If you get mad at mine it only shows your own immaturity. I dont think like the next person in Mississippi nor do I care to. and I wouldn't expect them to think like me. And I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve and feel the need to defend my state at every turn when there's no grounds for it either.

If Bill Mahar and Ms. pelosi showed Mississippi in a bad light, SO WHAT. must be some truth to it or it wouldn't exist at all. Best thing to do is accept it and try to change it, NOT defend it. I damn sure ain't defending no poverty rundown houses, dirt roads, and no running water and toothless hicks. that's shameful, that's not something to be poud of or defend.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Everybody's opinions are different. there is no such thing as bias on that. If you get mad at mine it only shows your own immaturity. I dont think like the next person in Mississippi nor do I care to. and I wouldn't expect them to think like me. And I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve and feel the need to defend my state at every turn when there's no grounds for it either.

If Bill Mahar and Ms. pelosi showed Mississippi in a bad light, SO WHAT. must be some truth to it or it wouldn't exist at all. Best thing to do is accept it and try to change it, NOT defend it. I damn sure ain't defending no poverty rundown houses, dirt roads, and no running water and toothless hicks. that's shameful, that's not something to be poud of or defend.
Already stated i'm not mad, but you are trying aren't you?

I don't feel the need to defend my state at every turn, nor do I wear my feelings on my sleeve. You know me so well, despite not knowing me at all.

I am not defending poverty, rundown houses, or toothless hicks either. I am defending against the assumption that this is an accurate portrayal of what people are like in Mississippi.

I don't mind if you have an opinion, it's great that you do, but I know you are aware that most people in Mississippi aren't as depicted in the video, and that the condition of streets in Jackson do not pertain to the topic at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I don't feel the need to defend my state at every turn, nor do I wear my feelings on my sleeve. You know me so well, despite not knowing me at all.
attacking my comments...sure seems like you're mad

Quote:
I am not defending poverty, rundown houses, or toothless hicks either. I am defending against the assumption that this is an accurate portrayal of what people are like in Mississippi.
And that's YOUR opinion. but MY opinion is...it's an accurate description. AND it was probably best to show the world THAT aspect of Mississippi than any other because it can cause money to be spent this way to help change it. So while not defending that video, I can look at the positives it can spark from it being put out there like that. Pelosi did us a favor if you ask me. we needed somebody to shed some light on that aspect of Mississippi because Mississippians themselves are not trying to fix it. Hopefully somebody else sees it and helps us try.

Quote:
I don't mind if you have an opinion, it's great that you do, but I know you are aware that most people in Mississippi aren't as depicted in the video, and that the condition of streets in Jackson do not pertain to the topic at all.
I know that, but also know that what's on that video is real too. And when people turn a blind eye and try to say "that's not us" when the world can see that it is(to a degree), I'm all for that kind of exposure.
It can only help us.

Learn to extract the positives.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

13,470 posts, read 8,483,183 times
If anyone thinks "they" are going to spend money in Mississippi, or send money to Mississippi because it has been illustrated in an obscure video that some people in Mississippi are backward.........well, they have rocks in their head.

Meanwhile, We, "The Ignorant Backward People of Mississippi", have a balanced budget, and an AA3 Credit rating. California is next to the bottom with an A1 or A- rating. The only state that does worse than California is Louisiana.

Heh, heh......

Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,204,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If anyone thinks "they" are going to spend money in Mississippi, or send money to Mississippi because it has been illustrated in an obscure video that some people in Mississippi are backward.........well, they have rocks in their head.

Meanwhile, We, "The Ignorant Backward People of Mississippi", have a balanced budget, and an AA3 Credit rating. California is next to the bottom with an A1 or A- rating. The only state that does worse than California is Louisiana.

Heh, heh......
Leave it to those crazy conservatives of Mississippi to balance a budget and pay their bills on time. What is WRONG with those backwards folk?? That is almost unAmerican.. balancing a budget..

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Heh, heh......
Good post. If I could rep you again I would. Thanks for pointing out that Mississippi, despite being a backwards, conservative state (it's hip to attack conservative values nowadays), is doing quite well actually.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

^With a negative attitude like that I can see why they wouldn't want to. Pretty shortsighted and ignorant if you ask me.

But fact is, all over the world, when people see areas of the world in need they gravitate to help. For all we know, some Speech Pathologist saw that video and said "hmmmm..I can help those people with that speech problem, I thnk I'll move down there and see what I can do.." next thing you know we have a new family in Mississippi, doing good to help AND adding to the economy just by living here paying taxes.

Quote:

Heh, heh......

Mixing Plums and Pipebombs here.

California's situation has factors in it that Mississippi has never seen. So when you look at their poor economy, you know why. Mississippi sits on it's eggs and never spends a dime on anything, from infrastructure to social programs, So it's easy to balance a $200 budget every year when you only spent $1 buck out of it. (paraphrasing the numbers)

California has all kinds of things going on which is why their gdp is much higher than Mississippi's and for the most part they are handling their business given all the issues. and as long as they don't unincoporate, they'll be fine and you'll still be happy to visit.

Last edited by FreePress601; 03-30-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
California's situation has factors in it that Mississippi has never seen. So when you look at their poor economy, you know why. Mississippi sits on it's eggs and never spends a dime on anything, from infrastructure to social programs, So it's easy to balance a $200 budget every year when you only spent $1 buck out of it. (paraphrasing the numbers)

California has all kinds of things going on which is why their gdp is much higher than Mississippi's and for the most part they are handling their business given all the issues. and as long as they don't unincoporate, they'll be find and you'll still be happy to visit.
I don't think you have a clue what's going on in California. California doesn't have several revenue sources like most other states do, they rely on their wealthiest taxpayers for much of their revenue. The top 1% of taxpayers pay roughly half of the personal income tax, and 27% of all sales tax.

As long as the economy is good and those people are making and spending money things are good, but when people and corporations tighten their belts it all goes downhill.

California is in this shape largely because they relied too heavily on an overly progressive income tax system that produced large one time revenues, then the state went and spent too much on programs.

They rely too heavily on capital gains too, which is volatile.

At one time, California had a $34 billion deficit. In 2009 Schwarzenegger threatened to lay off 5,000 state workers, 1,700 firefighters, shorten the
school year by five days and release 38,000 prisoners to save money. That isn't handling business. The deficit is still $11 billion.

Don't take my word, research it.

Last edited by jhadorn; 03-30-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think you have a clue what's going on in California. California doesn't have several revenue sources like most other states do, they rely on their wealthiest taxpayers for most of their revenue. The top 1% of taxpayers pay roughly half of the personal income tax, and 27% of all sales tax.

As long as the economy is good and those people are making and spending money things are good, but when people and corporations tighten their belts it all goes downhill.

California is in this shape largely because they relied too heavily on an overly progressive income tax system that produced large one time revenues, then the state went and spent too much on programs.

They rely too heavily on capital gains too, which is volatile.

At one time, California had a $34 billion deficit. In 2009 Schwarzenegger threatened to lay off 5,000 state workers, 1,700 firefighters, shorten the
school year by five days and release 38,000 prisoners to save money. That isn't handling business. The deficit is still $11 billion.

Don't take my word, research it.
just drop it. you're all over the place now. Went from depicting an accurate portrayal of Mississippi to comparing Mississippi to California.

and FYI, California has quite a few revenue streamss over Mississippi:

3 Major Football teams
4 major Baseball teams
Ski resorts
Surfing industry
Movie industry
Tech industry
Fashion industry

We can stop there. I mean there really is no comparison. let's stay on topic though.

I think a good dialogue about why that video got out like that, needs to be had. Because it couldv'e been avoided and presented better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi