U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 PM

9,333 posts, read 19,399,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblackwell99 View Post
I'd focus more on the curriculum within each program. Which school offers core courses and electives that align with your career goals? When are classes offered - in case you'll be working at the same time? I recently moved to Mississippi and looked at the MBA programs at MSU and Southern Miss. While MSU is a longer drive for me (much longer), the core curriculum and option for a an emphasis area led me to MSU.

Both UM and MSU are AACSB accredited, so national recognition shouldn't be an issue. True, they aren't Harvard or Stanford, but they are accredited by the same governing body as Harvard and Stanford.
Don't listen to the naysayers who say neither and go for the brand.
Agree with this post to focus on curriculum with the caveat on focus on industry ties (for jobs after). I know there are many considerations in going for an MBA, in my case I wanted a 1 year program and I wanted to stay in South Australia so I went to Uni Adelaide and was quite happy with my choice. I wish you success. My brother in law was happy at Ole Miss and got his job through connections he made at the University. I must say, I was impressed by how nice their campus looked.

BTW: have you looked at online programs from real (brick and mortar) schools.. other than say, a Phoenix. University of London has one you can do externally. Thats a reputable school (actually even Adelaide is starting an online programme).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Default Miss. MBA

Jackson Panther is pretty clueless on this topic. I work for a Fortune 100 company and interview dozens with MBAs each year. Never has the national ranking of their college been discussed or researched. It all boils down to the individual applying for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi