Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM

105 posts, read 272,384 times

Advertisements

We moved to Hernando in 1973 & have seen it grow from a town of 2,000 to over 14,000. There are a lot of mini mansions within a 3 or 4 mile radius of the downtown square & many more moderate, older homes in the older subdivisions.
The Farmers Market from mid May until October on the court house square is a real success. It makes the magazines & papers often.
I have seen no problems with race relations. We have friends in all groups.
Most of the eating places are fast food. We have had several try a "family restaurant" but they usually can not survive paying $3,000 to $4,000 in rent a month.
I had 3 daughters graduate from Hernando High & did well.
I have never felt crime was a real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 25,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post
We moved to Hernando in 1973 & have seen it grow from a town of 2,000 to over 14,000. There are a lot of mini mansions within a 3 or 4 mile radius of the downtown square & many more moderate, older homes in the older subdivisions.
The Farmers Market from mid May until October on the court house square is a real success. It makes the magazines & papers often.
I have seen no problems with race relations. We have friends in all groups.
Most of the eating places are fast food. We have had several try a "family restaurant" but they usually can not survive paying $3,000 to $4,000 in rent a month.
I had 3 daughters graduate from Hernando High & did well.
I have never felt crime was a real problem.
I LOVE the farmer's market in Hernando - it is great!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philj1980 View Post
Hello,

My family and I plan on relocating to Desoto county from Wisconsin. My husband is from the southern Mississippi but I was born and raised in Wisconsin and I have a few question. What town has the best schools? What are the race relations like? We are going to buy a home prior to moving and want to know what area would be the best to live in?

Thank you for your time!
The basic rule of thumb of where to live is to live south of 302, which runs about 3 or 4 miles south of the TN state line, but it really depends on where you will work. Will you be working in memphis (and thus, you would want to consider Southhaven or Olive Branch)? Both are good and safe bedroom communities, otherwise there are also plenty of rural locations to choose from further south, including the small town feel of Hernando, if you don't need Memphis.

I can't answer for schools although I have heard Olive Branch schools are good. Housing is still very cheap all of Desotoa county. Race relation? Why would you even ask that except to troll? It's probably the same as Wisconsin.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 AM

9 posts, read 26,037 times
Default Past Student, and I've lived here almost my entire life.

I attended Southaven, but that was only for one year in kindergarten.

Lewisburg was overall the best place for me. Lots of friendly faces, great teachers, actually challenging to me, Mr. Brady is an amazing principal, and I say that being someone he did not like! Amazing band and art programs. They offer Gifted Art, which is an audition thing. The drawings you have to do to get in are actually sent to colleges and they determine if you're in. I think MSU and Ole Miss both judge them, I'm not sure though. Football team is probably the only lacking thing there, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Not all the homes in the area are $250k+. You can find some around $150k. Also, there's a creek not far from Lewisburg that's great to swim in. Really safe school. They have drug detection dogs walk through the high school every week or so.

Hernando is pleasant. The only Wal-Mart I don't mind going to is there. Southaven is growing. Good mall, good restaurants, clean through most of it. Not sure on the schools. If you move to the Nesbit area around Bridgetown and such, this will probably be where you go to the store at.

Olive Branch is.. declining in my opinion. Police Department is absolutely useless. Really, has been since I was young. But definitely hasn't gotten better. Someone shot fireworks at a friend and some vehicles, also lit a bush on fire that came close to causing a pretty big explosion if we had not attacked the flames with an extinguisher. Oh, and the officer's response was "I'm out of tickets". The chief should be replaced. As far as schools go, OB was my second favorite. It was decent. Challenging. Some teachers were great, some weren't. Chickasaw Elementary was great. I don't know how it is now though. Centerhill I didn't like one bit. Hated it. I had two teachers I liked. They were the only ones that really explained things. Also, Wal-Mart in OB tends to be a little dangerous. Given that the police are about as worthless as worthless gets, wouldn't recommend doing your shopping there after dark.

Horn Lake... Just stay away from Horn Lake. Don't do that to your kids.

Southaven is the nice, safe, clean alternative to Memphis shopping. The police department is wonderful. Greg Davis may have messed with A LOT of money, but he's done a good job as mayor. He actually got out in the rain and directed traffic in front of one of the schools when the regular crossing guard couldn't. How many mayors would do that? On with Southaven, you've got a nice mall. American Eagle, Aeropostale, Journeys, PacSun, Payless, Rackroom, Sportsman's Warehouse, BooksAMillion, Dillards, Fairy Berry Yogurt, JC Penney, Claire's, JoAnne's Fabric and Craft, Justice, Children's Place, College Station, David's Bridal, Bed Bath and Beyond, Men's Warehouse, Kay Jeweler's, Pier 1 Imports, Kirkland's, Rue 21, Yankee Candle Co, and Gordman's. Those aren't all of the stores. Here's a link: Southaven Towne Center -- Alphabetical Store Directory
You've also got plenty of restaurants to choose from, two or three different Krogers, a new grocery store called SuperLo or something like that opened, there's a nice Halloween store that opens up around Halloween. There's a Malco, a starbucks, Plato's Closet, Once Upon A Child, and a National Guard recruiting office in the same spot. Best Buy, Big Lots, Old Navy, Marshalls, Hancock Fabrics, Hallmark. There's SO many things in Southaven. It's still growing, too. The one thing I would like to see put in is a PetSmart because I hate having to go to Memphis or Germantown just to get my cat's food. There's a Petco, here though (bleck!) and a nice little pet store chain called Hollywood Feed. They sell natural, organic, and hollistic foods for a not so low price. And for some reason they sell Iams??? They sell Lupine collars, which is pretty much the only thing I'd ever buy in there besides bones. It's a pretty safe area, if you have trouble the police are helpful. Southaven schools seem decent now. Desoto Central I'm not so sure of. I've heard of some crazy things happening there, but most likely it's a safe place. The inside is nice, I went in for a thing for band a few years back. Doors are heavy, but that's really all I know for sure about the school. Haha.

There are more school choices. SBEC, which is a Christian school, I think. I don't know. And Lake Cormorant. Lake Cormorant students generally live in Lake Cormorant, Walls, and Horn Lake. I don't really know anything about the school, except for most of the people I know that went there could not spell correctly.

More about DeSoto: There's three colleges in the Desoto area: Northwest Mississippi Community College, Ole Miss, and Delta Technical School. I am actually attending Northwest. I like it. Clean. Safe. Decent parking. Great staff. I don't know anything about the tech school. Ole Miss, I'm not sure what classes they're offering in DeSoto, but I hope that you would try and persuade your children out of OleMiss. ;P
The superintendent for the schools actually took a voluntary pay cut for the schools. Not just a $1000 pay cut either. Education Cuts in MS Cause Desoto Superintendent to Take Drastic Pay Cut | My Fox Memphis | Fox 13 News (http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/mississippi/032911-education-cuts-in-ms-cause-desoto-superintendent-to-take-drastic-pay-cut - broken link)
And in good news: Haley Barbour is a jerk and thankfully no longer governor.
Here's Great School's ranks: Schools in Desoto County School District - Hernando, MS | GreatSchools

Congrats on your move. Hope you enjoy it here!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,350 times
Thank you all for taking the time to give me your advice.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,886,552 times
As one who lives near Snowden Grove, I love it. It's far enough away that it feels like a small town but still has a lot of things to do close by. I'm 4 miles from the Civic Center. I'm walking distance from Snowden Grove Amphitheater. Snowden Grove Park is the largest baseball complex in the state. The park building has batting cages and a putt-putt golf. There's even a bowling alley (very nice) with a pizza place inside less than two miles from my house. In this 2 mile radius, there's two other pizza places, BBQ, high-end steak, Chinese, Mexican and numerous fast food places.

As far as entertainment, Snowden Grove Amphitheater | Home has a solid lineup for the spring and summer. ZZ Top, 3 Doors Down & Gretchen Wilson was announced yesterday. North Mississippi's Premier Arena - Desoto Civic Center has a steady stream of varied acts from country, R&B, rock, comedy to sports. It's nice to see a show and be home in under 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi