U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,105,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I don't see how Mississippi's obesity problem is tied to the rest of the country. because as your chart clearly shows, New York, California and Montana are keeping their obesity in check.
You cite 3 states where obesity is less of a problem, while ignoring the other 38 or so states (besides Mississippi) that have 25% or greater obesity, then claim it isn't a nationwide problem. 1/4th of the population of any given state is not "in check".

California and several others are approaching 25%. Let's work on the entire problem, and maybe something another state does to fix their problem can be applied to Mississippi.

I will say it again, Mississippi has an obesity problem larger than any other state, but that doesn't mean Mississippi is the only state with an obesity problem. That also does not make it any less of a problem in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM

169 posts, read 183,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In a state where 40% of the population receives Medicaid, an obesity epidemic is not surprising. Poor people just eat poorly.
Not true. it's a meantality thing. If you have nothing but junk to eat allaround you, that's all you're gonna eat UNLESS you make a conscious decision to not eat the junk and seek out healthier alternatives. So don't blame Medicaid, they are just there to service the sick AFTER they've eaten themselve into a grease induced heart attack.

Quote:
I mean, after all, how many times have y'all seen macaroni & cheese listed as "the vegetable of the day"?
The propaganda machine in Mississippi promotes obesity that's why.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
You cite 3 states where obesity is less of a problem, while ignoring the other 38 or so states (besides Mississippi) that have 25% or greater obesity, then claim it isn't a nationwide problem. 1/4th of the population of any given state is not "in check".
Because it's not a connection.. that's why.

People in Oregon aren't forcing people in Mississippi to eat fatback and hamhocks 3 times a day...THAT'S MISSISSIPPIANS DOING THAT.

Quote:
California and several others are approaching 25%. Let's work on the entire problem, and maybe something another state does to fix their problem can be applied to Mississippi.
Fix the swing in your own backyard before you go across the street to work on somebody elses. chances are all they need is a screw to fix theirs, but Mississippi needs the whole damn swing replaced.

Quote:
I will say it again, Mississippi has an obesity problem larger than any other state, but that doesn't mean Mississippi is the only state with an obesity problem. That also does not make it any less of a problem in Mississippi.
I've never been the type to blame my situation on others. I fix my own problems and let others fix theirs. It's not a group effort at all. It's a singular problem that Mississippi has all it's own.

If Mississippi had the lowest obesity percentage, you wouldn't care to help the rest of the nation get that low now would you? nope. Chances are You'd be too busy patting yourself on the back for what YOU did.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Not true. it's a meantality thing. If you have nothing but junk to eat allaround you, that's all you're gonna eat UNLESS you make a conscious decision to not eat the junk and seek out healthier alternatives. So don't blame Medicaid, they are just there to service the sick AFTER they've eaten themselve into a grease induced heart attack.

Not true. Many other states have more junk around them to eat than Mississippi. Fast food is all over this country. Healthy food is easy to find in Mississippi and any other state, you just have to exercise self control, take responsibility for your own actions, and eat healthier.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional cheeseburger, etc. but some people don't practice moderation. You made my point for me by saying "UNLESS you make a conscious decision not to eat the junk and seek out healthier alternatives". This is called taking responsibility for your actions.

So don't blame Medicaid OR Popeyes for your own lack of self control.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM

469 posts, read 600,095 times
Maybe we should all move to Colorado and hike the Rocky Mountains. That may be why CO has a low obesity rate.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Because it's not a connection.. that's why.

People in Oregon aren't forcing people in Mississippi to eat fatback and hamhocks 3 times a day...THAT'S MISSISSIPPIANS DOING THAT.
Go through my posts and find the part where I said there is a CONNECTION with any other state... I'll wait.

I said the entire country has an obesity problem, save for a few states. I also don't know anyone who eats fatback and hamhocks 3 times a day. hehe

Embellish much?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Not true. Many other states have more junk around them to eat than Mississippi. Fast food is all over this country. Healthy food is easy to find in Mississippi and any other state, you just have to exercise self control, take responsibility for your own actions, and eat healthier.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional cheeseburger, etc. but some people don't practice moderation. You made my point for me by saying "UNLESS you make a conscious decision not to eat the junk and seek out healthier alternatives". This is called taking responsibility for your actions.
Unfortunately most Mississippians are too weak when it comes to food. It's been said that eating is a "hobby" in Mississippi. One lady said it on the show. Hence the high obesity rates.

Couple that with lack of excercise and motivation and you end up like the lady on that show. too big to wash her own feet.

Quote:
So don't blame Medicaid OR Popeyes for your own lack of self control.
The self-control will be a boycott. that'll fix em. If they are shut down, then the inablers go away.

Kinda like crack. if there is no crack around to smoke, the dope fiend will gradually withdraw from the urge to smoke it.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I've never been the type to blame my situation on others. I fix my own problems and let others fix theirs. It's not a group effort at all. It's a singular problem that Mississippi has all it's own.

If Mississippi had the lowest obesity percentage, you wouldn't care to help the rest of the nation get that low now would you? nope. Chances are You'd be too busy patting yourself on the back for what YOU did.
Let me help you understand. Mississippi is part of the United States of America, and the United States of America has an obesity problem.

You aren't the type to blame others, yet you blamed restauraunts such as Popeye's and Shoney's for the obesity in Mississippi. You even called for their boycott while I asserted that would be silly to boycott them, and called for personal responsibility. That's the beauty of posting on a message board, it's all documented and readily available to verify.

Actually, I am a pretty good guy and despite your perception of me I have and will continue to help others. If I could solve the obesity problem in this country I gladly would.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
We are turning into a society of blame shifters. It isn't Popeye's fault if you are fat, just like it isn't Anheuser Busch's fault if you are an alcoholic.
50% of it is their fault. they are inablers. if they couldn't sell the chicken they wouldn't promote it.

You act like people are going out looking for Popeyes, NO, Popeyes is looking for them through the TV commercials, discounts on big buckets of chicken with free biscuits on the sign outside, etc.

It's definitely a two-way street.

Fast Food businesses are predatory, no if, ands, buts about it. they wouldn't make a red penny if they weren't.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The self-control will be a boycott. that'll fix em. If they are shut down, then the inablers go away.
Nonsense. Why must there be a boycott to exercise self control. Do you really want restaurants to go away? Think about what you are saying.

You would probably be the first person to complain if you had to travel to a third world country and found there were no McDonalds, Wendy's or whatever suits your fancy. You would probably also complain that you couldn't find a McDonalds in Mississippi, like in other states.

Don't go off the deep end, just practice moderation and you can still run by McDonalds once a week and grab a burger and fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi