U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
 
169 posts, read 40,828 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Let me help you understand. Mississippi is part of the United States of America, and the United States of America has an obesity problem.
BUT Mississippi's obesity problem is not the same as Tennessee's obesity problem. do you understand that? it's already a given that the entire country is couch-potato oriented. that's a given. I'm talking specifically about Mississippi's issue with obesity. I could care less about how they eat in Florida.


Quote:
You aren't the type to blame others, yet you blamed restauraunts such as Popeye's and Shoney's for the obesity in Mississippi. You even called for their boycott while I asserted that would be silly to boycott them, and called for personal responsibility. That's the beauty of posting on a message board, it's all documented and readily available to verify.
What do you think a boycott is sir? NOT BUYING IT is the same as boycotting. YOU want people to continue to eat that junk and call it "moderation". I on the other hand am calling for a total ban from buying it.

Seems you have more of an agenda to keep them open than I do. I could care less if they closed tomorrow. dratic circumstances call for drastic measures. I'm not getting that from you.

Quote:
Actually, I am a pretty good guy and despite your perception of me I have and will continue to help others. If I could solve the obesity problem in this country I gladly would.
You just made my point for ME> YOU can't solve the nations obesity problem, but you CAN help Mississippi with it's obesity problem since you live here. That's why I wonder why you would bring California into this. or any other state for that matter.

Take care of your backyard first.

Now that you finally understand, what are you doing to help Mississippi with it's obesity problem?

My solution is to boycott all the buffets and fast food joints and run them out of business.

what's your solution? moderation? yeah right, we have moderately climbed up to 34.4% obesity. Hows that working out? not too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
843 posts, read 1,214,366 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I on the other hand am calling for a total ban from buying it.
Sounds Marxist to me. You can't just ban something because YOU don't want it around. This isn't a Communist country, and the right of others, whether you agree with or not, cannot be infringed upon. Use self control, and take care of your own self. Don't blame others for your lack of self control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
Seems you have more of an agenda to keep them open than I do. I could care less if they closed tomorrow. dratic circumstances call for drastic measures. I'm not getting that from you.
And you never will. Just for the record, I am not overweight but I support the right of others to do whatever they wish with their life, whether I agree with it or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
My solution is to boycott all the buffets and fast food joints and run them out of business.
See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
 
169 posts, read 40,828 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Sounds Marxist to me. You can't just ban something because YOU don't want it around. This isn't a Communist country, and the right of others, whether you agree with or not, cannot be infringed upon. Use self control, and take care of your own self. Don't blame others for your lack of self control.
Why is it Marxist? Telling people to boycott a well known killer in the community, GREASE AND FAT. ???


Quote:
And you never will. Just for the record, I am not overweight but I support the right of others to do whatever they wish with their life, whether I agree with it or not.
Neither am I, but like you claimed earlier, we're in this together. What makes Mississippi look bad makes YOU look bad. So why not work to make Mississippi look good so you can look good too?? Maybe you wouldn't go on the defense so quickly.

I would much rather see 20 Sushi bars vs. 20 McDonald's or 20 Popeyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 1,315,977 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
WOW, that's almost 50% of the population...that's very unhealthy. don't you agree?

34.4% of 2,978,512(total pop. of Mississippi) = 1,024,608 obese people

Over a million morbidly obese people in Mississippi?
..Jesus Christ, who knew???
California is the land of the tanned, healthy,golden people.
Wow, Over 9.3 million morbidly obese people in California?
..Jesus Christ, who knew???:

24.4% of 37,691,912(total pop. of California) = 37,691,912 obese people,
that's very unhealthy. don't you agree?

Which state should we attack to solve the problem and get the biggest bang for the buck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM
 
169 posts, read 40,828 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
California is the land of the tanned, healthy,golden people.
Wow, Over 9.3 million morbidly obese people in California?
..Jesus Christ, who knew???:

24.4% of 37,691,912(total pop. of California) = 37,691,912 obese people,
that's very unhealthy. don't you agree?

Which state should we attack to solve the problem and get the biggest bang for the buck

WE CAN START WITH MISSISSIPPI...and then let California take notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
1,566 posts, read 1,452,153 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
WE CAN START WITH MISSISSIPPI...and then let California take notes.
That was actually a good response

Anyway, like stated earlier and as known by many people, the real problem is lack of education, lack of money, and lack of exposure to different things.

If you can't cook, and have little money, and don't know any better, you WILL eat fattening fast food because it's the cheapest. A hamburger costs less at almost all fast-food joints than a chicken sandwich. And a salad is even more expensive.

Even if you CAN cook, if you've never tried healthy food (exposure) then you don't know that instead of frying that chicken you can grill or roast it with the right spices and it tastes even better. Or that a box of seasoned rice (Rice-a-roni or similar) can be just as good as french fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Mississippi Delta!
469 posts, read 158,573 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Even if you CAN cook, if you've never tried healthy food (exposure) then you don't know that instead of frying that chicken you can grill or roast it with the right spices and it tastes even better. Or that a box of seasoned rice (Rice-a-roni or similar) can be just as good as french fries.
Processed food like Rice-A-Roni have a lot of salt, which can also be harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
2,502 posts, read 1,777,493 times
Reputation: 4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
......If you can't cook, and have little money, and don't know any better, you WILL eat fattening fast food because it's the cheapest.................
Kilgore, I think you've got a handle on the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
.....the real problem is lack of education, lack of money, and lack of exposure to different things.....
Yep. I agree. Understand the cause first. Of course, implementing a cure; now there's the challenge!

I making an example of myself and trying not be harshly judgmental. Maybe that's the best we can all do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Savannah, GA
94 posts, read 87,661 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I saw a show on TV the other night called "Fat & Fatter" and they focused on the obesity epidemic of people in Mississippi and how poorly we eat down here. It was very shameful.

And since July of 2011, Mississippi has been dubbed "Fattest State in the Union" by Reuters.

Do we really eat that bad? save Paula Deen

Mississippi most obese state, Colorado least | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
 
169 posts, read 40,828 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
That was actually a good response

Anyway, like stated earlier and as known by many people, the real problem is lack of education, lack of money, and lack of exposure to different things.

If you can't cook, and have little money, and don't know any better, you WILL eat fattening fast food because it's the cheapest. A hamburger costs less at almost all fast-food joints than a chicken sandwich. And a salad is even more expensive.

Even if you CAN cook, if you've never tried healthy food (exposure) then you don't know that instead of frying that chicken you can grill or roast it with the right spices and it tastes even better. Or that a box of seasoned rice (Rice-a-roni or similar) can be just as good as french fries.
I disagree. people know better. Eating from the garden is one of the mainstays of Mississippi life. I know because my grandmother grew everything she ate as far as veggies and fruits. so much so, we used to go over and help her harvest tomatoes, peaches, plums, carrots, watermelon, eggplant, you name it, she grew it.

The Fast Fried Food empires moved in and by way of TV and billboards, they brainwashed a lot of people in Mississippi into thinking Popeyes, Shoneys and Denny's and Waffle House was good food. when it's the farthest thing from healthy.

Mississippi should be the healthiest state in the union not the most obese simply because of the land is better suited for farming than 99% of the country. So there's really no excuse. just a lot of excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top