U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,457,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I agree. Lots of unhealthy people in Mississippi. Unfortunately, the entire country is getting fatter.
Nice map. Thanks for finding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM

9,406 posts, read 9,304,709 times
Mississippi most obese state: Southern diet or culture on the skids? - CSMonitor.com

This depresses me! I think I will go to the nearest convenience store, buy fried chicken on a stick, a couple of potato logs, and a 20-ounce soda for a pick-me-up!

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 08-15-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM

14,610 posts, read 31,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Not true. Many other states have more junk around them to eat than Mississippi. Fast food is all over this country. Healthy food is easy to find in Mississippi and any other state, you just have to exercise self control, take responsibility for your own actions, and eat healthier.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional cheeseburger, etc. but some people don't practice moderation. You made my point for me by saying "UNLESS you make a conscious decision not to eat the junk and seek out healthier alternatives". This is called taking responsibility for your actions.

So don't blame Medicaid OR Popeyes for your own lack of self control.
I recently spent a week in NYC, and let me tell you, food is EVERYWHERE! You can walk down the sidewalks and smell the heavenly scent oozing out of the buildings, yet there are few fat people to be found. The difference is people in NYC are active, if they want food they have to walk to go get it, and usually walk quickly. In the rest of the country people are too lazy to even walk inside, instead they sit in their cars and go to the drive up window. It annoys me so bad when I go to WalMart and I see obese people on those scooters, filling their baskets with junk food. I feel like telling them to get their ass off that scooter and walk!

I do think one problem in the South is the heat, I'll admit I'm a lot more active during the fall and winter than I am during the summer.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM

5,128 posts, read 3,569,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I recently spent a week in NYC, and let me tell you, food is EVERYWHERE! You can walk down the sidewalks and smell the heavenly scent oozing out of the buildings, yet there are few fat people to be found.
The state has a fair number of obese people, 24.7%.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The state has a fair number of obese people, 24.7%.
NY state may, but I was referring to what I saw in NYC.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 3,569,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
NY state may, but I was referring to what I saw in NYC.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/ny...bese.html?_r=1

This article refers to obesity in children. They don't look too good.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
In contrast, some of the cityís wealthiest areas had the healthiest children. The West 60s near the Hudson River in Manhattan had the smallest share of overweight or obese children (11.7 percent), followed by part of TriBeCa (15 percent), SoHo (17.7 percent) and the East 50s, including Turtle Bay and Sutton Place (18.3 percent).
I was in Manhattan, which explains why I didn't see any fat people.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 AM

8,226 posts, read 18,445,385 times
All of those place are in Manhattan. Sutton Place is probably the wealthiest part of the borough .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,565,366 times
Food can't be all that is blamed because in 1991 the obesity rate in Mississippi was only 15%. Southern cooking and fried food certainly existed in 1991. So there have to be other factors to explain why MS is the fattest and why obesity has gone up dramatically in every state. .

Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,144,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Food can't be all that is blamed because in 1991 the obesity rate in Mississippi was only 15%. Southern cooking and fried food certainly existed in 1991. So there have to be other factors to explain why MS is the fattest and why obesity has gone up dramatically in every state. .
I'm glad someone realized this. It's not as if smothered chicken was just invented 5 years ago...

Here are some guesses as to the real root problem:

1. The explosion of availability of fast food.
2. The explosion of availability of processed foods - people are getting "prepared" foods from the supermarket, but they are fatty, sweet, no fiber, no nutrition. "Low Fat" meals are high sugar meals, same calorie counts.
3. The acceptance and availability of sweet drinks. People are quick to blame soda, but all sweet drinks have the high calorie counts. Imagine a person who drinks a glass of OJ at breakfast, a soda at lunch, 2 glasses of "punch" at dinner. That's maybe 700 calories in one day, on just drinks.
4. Bad food in school lunches. When I was a kid we did get burgers and hot dogs some days, but other days we got veggies and mashed potatoes. I gather these days it's ALWAYS burgers, hot dogs, pizza. It fosters bad habits in the kids, thinking that lunch always has to be junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi