Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I want to go class action since we pay a boatload for our cars and tags but the roads are still poopy. I'm sure I can get 500,000 signatures easy.

I already told you, you CANNOT SUE A STATE GOVERNMENT. There may be a few, very few, exceptions. I assure you this is not one of them. Dismiss those silly thoughts, it ain't happening.

If you can get 500,000 signatures, present it to your state or local representative and I bet then you will get action. They all want to get re-elected. 500,000 is a significant percentage of voters. Be realistic, 10,000 will probably do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM

169 posts, read 237,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There is of course other methods to address this besides lawsuits unless you have some strange need to fund a lawyers next Porche - your representatives are elected, start there, at the polling booth. Write letters to your representative, attend local city board meetings, start petitions, write to your newspapers...etc.
I've written letters to reps and newspapers, and got nothing. Spoke at the City council, nothing.

time to take it the next level.

my next move is to run my own commercial and put it up on youtube and show the world how bad the roads are. Embarrass the state before I go after the class action lawsuit.

Do a Bill Mahar move and expose the roads in Mississippi. that should strike a nerve with the state..ain't that right jhardon?

I bet if they saw these roads on the world wide web they'll take notice.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I already told you, you CANNOT SUE A STATE GOVERNMENT. There may be a few, very few, exceptions. I assure you this is not one of them. Dismiss those silly thoughts, it ain't happening.

If you can get 500,000 signatures, present it to your state or local representative and I bet then you will get action. They all want to get re-elected. 500,000 is a significant percentage of voters. Be realistic, 10,000 will probably do it.

Whatever it takes. Take the fight to the people, get results. beg them at City council get the cold shoulder.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
I've written letters to reps and newspapers, and got nothing. Spoke at the City council, nothing.

time to take it the next level.

my next move is to run my own commercial and put it up on youtube and show the world how bad the roads are. Embarrass the state before I go after the class action lawsuit.

Do a Bill Mahar move and expose the roads in Mississippi. that should strike a nerve with the state..ain't that right jhardon?

I bet if they saw these roads on the world wide web they'll take notice.
Yup, be creative. But - make sure you have the right target. I think interstate highways are maintained by the state but local roads are maintained by your city or county government.
For interstates - it may further complicate things in that they have maintanence schedules with the federal government who also partially funds interstate repairs.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
That's right brother. While you're at it, get a petition together to ban fast food and buffet style restaurants. Fewer people on the road driving to those restaurants means the roads will stay in good condition longer, AND it will solve the whole obesity problem. You sir, are a genius.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM

468 posts, read 786,415 times
The troll FreePress601 reminds me of this guy:

Network - Mad as Hell Scene - YouTube

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM

210 posts, read 251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Mississippi has some great four-lane highways. We started a massive four-laning program in the late 1980s, after the Legislature passed the 1987 highway bill.
That's interesting to me, I'm not saying I disagree with you but every time ive been to MS, I noticed the highways were very crappy.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 AM

99 posts, read 188,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm buying him a bus ticket to Savannah...

Having driven all over the US, (750,000 miles since 2005) I can assure people that there are bad road to be found everywhere. The worst I had to drive regularly?.....The Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Anywhere but Savannah for Christ's sake.

There are bad roads in each and every state.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
I already told you, you CANNOT SUE A STATE GOVERNMENT.
One of the benefits and the detriments to our legal system is that anyone CAN sue anyone else, even a state government. I'm not saying you can win, and I'm not saying that the state won't get it thrown out at the first hearing because of sovereign immunity, but you can freely spend your money to hire a lawyer (assuming you can find one that will take your case) and file a lawsuit.

But as already stated, if there truly is a conspiracy or dishonest management of State funds, a lawsuit would be almost worthless. Even if you managed to file it, it would be dismissed at the first hearing.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
One of the benefits and the detriments to our legal system is that anyone CAN sue anyone else, even a state government. I'm not saying you can win, and I'm not saying that the state won't get it thrown out at the first hearing because of sovereign immunity, but you can freely spend your money to hire a lawyer (assuming you can find one that will take your case) and file a lawsuit.

But as already stated, if there truly is a conspiracy or dishonest management of State funds, a lawsuit would be almost worthless. Even if you managed to file it, it would be dismissed at the first hearing.

Nothing beats a failure but a try. . It's never been done. lawyer fees aside, it could be worth the negative exposure.

But as one who takes things in steps. I'll try my maverick-style youtube videos first and see how much embarrassment I can drum up to get these roads fixed in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi