U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 AM

843 posts, read 1,215,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I'm guilty of being rude to outsiders so I know the rest of the citizens can be like that or worse.
Because if you do it everyone else must do it even worse than you do... because you are so much better than us. That's the way you are coming across.

I am not rude to outsiders, heck, I try never to be rude to ANYONE.

There ARE good things about Mississippi. If you lived in another state, would you point out and complain about the bad things while ignoring the good ones?

I think you have let the media and popular opinion shape your attitude about Mississippi. I know you want to fit in with the educated, upper level people who look down on us, but you CAN recognize and appreciate the good things about Mississippi without being thought of by the rest of the country as a hick rube... or at least any worse than they think of you now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM

843 posts, read 1,215,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I totally agree, however you are wasting your time. I expect this thread to prove my point shortly.
It appears you were absolutely correct.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM

169 posts, read 41,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Because if you do it everyone else must do it even worse than you do... because you are so much better than us. That's the way you are coming across.
That's just living in Mississippi. you know that. Rude and Hospitality really go hand in hand depend on who you talk to.

People have been rude to me so much growing up in MIssissippi, I thought it was the norm of how to be. So the "Hospitality State" tag always puzzled me. So I passed on the tradition to a degree.

Quote:
I am not rude to outsiders, heck, I try never to be rude to ANYONE.

Quote:
There ARE good things about Mississippi. If you lived in another state, would you point out and complain about the bad things while ignoring the good ones?

I think you have let the media and popular opinion shape your attitude about Mississippi. I know you want to fit in with the educated, upper level people who look down on us, but you CAN recognize and appreciate the good things about Mississippi without being thought of by the rest of the country as a hick rube... or at least any worse than they think of you now.
Nope, growing up in Mississippi shaped it. You have to have thick skin to live in Mississippi.

And Mississippi does have a LOT of great things about it. They just need to be represented properly in the media.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
FP601, you surely have the dubious honor of being a buzzkill

Get out of MS if you don't like it, it's really pretty simple. Go and sin no more. Whatever. Alabama, Arkansas, Tennesse, or Louisiana can't be too far from you, no matter where you are. May I suggest Memphis for your inner urban child?

Of course there are bad things about Mississippi - of course there were horrid things that happened. Can't think of a place this side of heaven that doesn't have a big ol' black X on the history page. But it DOES have an upside, which you refuse to appreciate or even acknowledge.

Try putting in some new eyeballs and taking a more in-depth look at the unique qualities MS does have to offer. Yes, it is a slower place. Yes, it has quirks and kinks and bumps in the road. Sorry it isn't the Riviera of the South, or the epicenter of commerce or fashion. That's why some of us love it.

As far as your comment about no hospitality - well, you get back what you give most of the time. If you are unhappy it generally shows, transfers to others, and comes back to you ten fold.

Wherever you go, there you are - try to find some joy in the simpler things of life, like a storm in the Delta (my favorite Mississippi weather occurrence). Look at the miles of beautiful farmland unobstructed by acres of shoebox concrete buildings and plastic people rushing to their very important jobs. Learn to love the decidedly unpretentious people. There's a lack of pomposity that is very endearing if you let it be. Get comfortable, then befriend someone outside your comfort zone.

If MS isn't your cup of sweet tea, you won't be the first or the last - but try to allow those of us who can appreciate the good things the opportunity to occasionally wax poetic without burning us down. That's what we do in the South - to do anything else is just plain tacky.

Great speech!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,453,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhindscounty View Post
Don't Forget Coca-Cola!
How could I forget? First bottled in Vicksburg
I was going to call you on this one, because there's one of those "history happened here" signs outside my office claiming that Chattanooga, TN, is the home of the first ever Coca-Cola bottling plant. But a little research reveals that both claims are true.

To add to the list: In Little League, Roy Oswalt, from Choctaw county, pitched to my younger brother as catcher.

I also saw "The Help" recently, and I'm assuming watching that movie is what prompted this thread. IMHO, that movie is an reasonably accurate portrayal of life in upscale Jackson, MS, in the last century. Unfortunately, many people who watch it don't see it as a historical documentary, but rather as a portrayal of current events.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,453,807 times
FreePress601 and jhadorn, do you two have a personal feud going? In spite of the fact that the two of you often have similar opinions on the topic du jour, you always find a way to attack each other.

And before you say "the other guy started it", don't bother. It takes two to fight; if either of you just starts ignoring the other (it's really easy), the fighting stops. As it is all you are doing is detracting from otherwise reasonable discussions.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
FreePress601 and jhadorn, do you two have a personal feud going? In spite of the fact that the two of you often have similar opinions on the topic du jour, you always find a way to attack each other.

And before you say "the other guy started it", don't bother. It takes two to fight; if either of you just starts ignoring the other (it's really easy), the fighting stops. As it is all you are doing is detracting from otherwise reasonable discussions.
jhadorn starts it everytime.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM

48 posts, read 74,708 times
Quote:

Mississippi also claims to be the "Hospitality State" but Hospitality is one of the last things you get here. I'm guilty of being rude to outsiders so I know the rest of the citizens can be like that or worse.
What??? I have encountered some of the friendliest people in MS (so obviously I never ran into you)! Everyone from the Subway in McComb to Gas Station clerk somewhere along Hwy 55 to everyone we've come across in Jackson and the surrounding area. Walked into a Haverty's at closing and apologized and stated we'd return tomorrow as we were only browsing. The nice gentleman not only insisted we come in but spent 30 minutes chatting with us about this, that, and everything in between.

You've bashed so many on this forum, me included. I'm the crazy Texan that's a fool for moving here in your eyes. Must be a retiree cause only they would want to get out of Texas when actually we're a 30 something couple with 2 children. Was I trying to get out of Texas? No, but once we came for a couple of visits and some research, we realized that MS has so much to offer and a place we'd like to call home. You're gonna think we're even move crazy now but we passed up on 4 job offers in TX to take the one in MS.

One of the advantages - you can still live "in the country" but not live too from Jackson. My husband MUST live close to a city with children's hospital due to job. However, many of these cities are so large that even their suburbs are large, traffic is awful, and to get a decent commute, you can't live too far out. However, we enjoy living in an area where you can't see in your neighbors windows by looking out yours. Or where 5 house can't see into your backyard from their upstairs bedrooms. With his job in Jackson, we can have some space and he can still get into Jackson in a reasonable amount of time. Goes along with the following:

Traffic. I've read on here that people can't drive but I haven't noticed it. Anyway, there is basically no traffic! We've been there during rush hour and the rush hour in Jackson is better than our anytime traffic in Houston. We live 12 miles from the Texas Medical Center. It can take my husband an hour or more during traffic to get to/from work. That is absolutely ridiculous! Normal in the evenings in 45 mins. Mornings more like 30 mins if he leaves by 5:30 He'll have a further commute in Jackson but won't take as long. I live less than 5 miles from a mall. On the weekends, it can take 30+ minutes to get there. Needless to say, I don't go on the weekends unless I have to.

And there was just that feeling that MS was right for us. There will be things we will miss about TX (Macy's for me ) but we'll go back and visit our family. And we are looking forward to them coming and visiting us to see why we feel in love with the state. In less than 2 months, MS will be home for us. We are looking forward to starting our lives there!

Oh yeah, and somewhere I have read that auto insurance rates are high. Our rates will DECREASE in Mississippi and we'll have higher coverage!

So, I'm sure you're gonna bash me more. But you should love me. According to you, MS is too fat and not educated. We're educated, not fat, and friendly too

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM

469 posts, read 159,044 times
Since this thread was intially about how "Hollywood" portrays Mississippi, I would like to comment on what I think is a large part of the problem. I think there is a lack of understanding about the South because few people with clout in the movie or television industry (actors, producers, writers, critics, etc) are actually from the region. Do you think you will ever see a TV series about Southerners as popular with both audiences and critics as "Mad Men" or "The Sopranos"? (I dislike both).
I think one of the problems with the movie "The Help" was that most of the lead actors and actresses weren't Southern and thus had difficulty establishing any sort of authenticity. I believe Meridian-born Sela Ward would have been perfect for playing Skeeter's (Emma Stone's) mother.
Movies based of John Grisham's works had the same problems.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM

5,982 posts, read 10,969,285 times
Quote:
Great speech!
Thank you! I accept with great humility and honor! All sarcasm aside, of course - I know you truly gave from the heart, FP601. It means so much to me to know you've jumped the fence and will now be on the other side, fighting alongside those of us who feel compelled to defend a place we've called or currently call home whenever we can from bullies who just have to grind our nose in whatever speck of dirt they can, whenever they can. Whew! And they say miracles don't happen....

Chris Balducci - I think you have a point about authenticity. I never looked at it that way, just that I think a lot of H'wood movies sound so fake and with contrived accents. Sela Ward would have been great, you're right....in any role. I guess when you are an actor or actress you work hard to NOT have an accent, but it would be great to hear the genuine, real-deal thing sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi