U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM

469 posts, read 599,321 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the South and Hollywood:

The South: Not all Bubbas and banjos - CNN.com

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Since this thread has branched out to the south in general, I will point out that Steel Magnolias was a great portrayal of life in the south. A little quirky, sometimes, but that's why it is a movie......

Ouiser Boudreaux:
"You are a pig from hell!"
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood 40 years! "
"Oh! Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God-only-knows-what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken."

.........And on it goes.......

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM

8,230 posts, read 18,468,038 times
One of my very favorite movie characters, Ouiser. I love Shirley MacLaine.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM

599 posts, read 821,964 times
Perfect timing that I stumbled across this thread, as my wife and I will be traveling through Mississippi in the last part of May-early June. If you had three days in MS, like we will, and you're coming from Atlanta, what are some must-do things and places that I have to see? I've already been to BB King Museum, Ole Miss, and Morgan Freeman's Delta Blues Cafe in Indianola. Been to William Faulkner's home too. Where else can I find this hospitality and good eating that you all have been talking about?

Thanks in advance, we are from IL but very open-minded when it comes to these things, and would relish the opportunity to get a feel for the "real" MS.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM

169 posts, read 183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Perfect timing that I stumbled across this thread, as my wife and I will be traveling through Mississippi in the last part of May-early June. If you had three days in MS, like we will, and you're coming from Atlanta, what are some must-do things and places that I have to see? I've already been to BB King Museum, Ole Miss, and Morgan Freeman's Delta Blues Cafe in Indianola. Been to William Faulkner's home too. Where else can I find this hospitality and good eating that you all have been talking about?

Thanks in advance, we are from IL but very open-minded when it comes to these things, and would relish the opportunity to get a feel for the "real" MS.

Honestly, if you're hungry, you should defnitely stop by Big John's aka the Big Apple Inn on Farish Street and get yourself some hot sausauge sandwiches. at least 20-25 of them because your passengers won't save you any if you don't eat them right away..lol..matterf of fact they won't make it the highway..you might need to buy 100 of them to be sure you have enough. they look like Krystals or White Castles..just made with hot link sausages with the skin cut away...delicious!

AND you'll get the double bonus of seeing all the brand new construction to the Farish Street Entertainment District, "the FED" as I like to call it...lol

AND 1 block over, the newly renovated King Edward Hotel looks over your shoulder while you eat...lol

[SIZE=3]Big Apple Inn[/SIZE]
509 North Farish Street, Jackson, MS
(601) 354-4549 ()

Food so good a guy did a short film on the place and it's rich history. google the film "Smokes and Ears"

Here's what the hot smoke sasuage sandwich looks like:

Here's what the hot pig ear sandwich looks like:

Ask for Geno, He's most likely right there in front of you cooking pig ears with the staff...lol

Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 AM

And if MvF came back, I bet money Adam couldn't do 50 hots in 20 minutes. that hot slaw is way too hot.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 PM

475 posts, read 398,519 times
"Pig ears sandwich" ? OMG ! Do they come with 7000 calories ?
Only in the south...

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
"Pig ears sandwich" ? OMG ! Do they come with 7000 calories ?
Only in the south...
I don't eat em, but most here do. it's a staple sandwich like a philly cheesesteak is to philly

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I don't eat em, but most here do. it's a staple sandwich like a philly cheesesteak is to philly
I don't know about that pig ear sandwich, but I bet those hots are good.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,154,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
Stop lying! No way the pig ear sandwich is any kind of "staple" here in Jackson, or in the state of MS. A few people love them to death, most would turn up their nose at the thought of eating one. Other than Big John's you would be hard pressed to even find another restaurant that sells ears.

My dog loves pig ears, but no way would one ever pass my lips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi