Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,995 times

Advertisements

Haha, looks like one suggestion was mentioned and then it didn't get very far We'll still probably try the pig-ear sandwich though.

Any other "must-do"'s while in MS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM

169 posts, read 237,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
FreePress, I want to apologize to you brother. From my Google searches it appears the pig ear sandwich is pretty popular in Jackson. 99%? Probably not, but popular with a certain crowd anyway. A guy from Memphis was even inspired by Big Apple Inn to open a restaurant that serves pig ear sandwiches and smokes. One thing I do have to call you on though, it's NOT a staple in Jackson, which would explain why some people from Jackson have never heard of it. A staple to a certain crowd maybe.

Local Man Serves Up Pig Ear Sandwiches | MyFoxMemphis | Fox 13 News (http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/good_news/local-man-serves-up-pig-ear-sandwiches-rpt-20120305 - broken link)
Oh it's definitely a staple. All you have to do is go by there on any given Sunday after church or football(NFL) and see a line out the door. Same with JSU football on Saturdays. This is the place they bumrush after those events.

I would even venture to say Big John's rivals Popeyes in terms of popularity in Jackson. For a lot of my friends it is much better deal.

Quote:
I still stand by my assertion that I will NEVER eat a pig ear sandwich. hehe
I don't eat the pig ear sandwiches either. I normally just get 15 smokes and a soda and I'm good. but everybody else I know eats them up.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM

169 posts, read 237,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Haha, looks like one suggestion was mentioned and then it didn't get very far We'll still probably try the pig-ear sandwich though.

Any other "must-do"'s while in MS?
You can go by the Petrified Forest. just minutes from Jackson going northwest on highway49

Mississippi Petrified Forest

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

17 posts, read 110,149 times
MY EXPERIENCE: THE GRASS IS NOT GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE
What does the actors or actresses have to do with the storyline? History is history and truth is truth. Regardless of who was the actor or actress in the movie 'The Help' the story gives accurate accounts to what happened to many families during that time. Many families still have the scars to prove it. I am a member of one of those families. Sad to say but I have experienced being treated unfairly once by someone (specifically a college student) in Mississippi because of the color of my skin. Compared to what my older family members went through once is a blessing. However, I look at the ordeal like this: There are many types of people in the world. Unfortunately, I encountered one jack hole compared to the other 99 decent people in Mississippi.
Yes, Mississippians need to learn how to enjoy their food and be healthy at the same time. Yes, Mississippians need to be themselves out of joy of who they are and not of out of malice or bitterness trying to prove or convince people who or what they are and are not especially not to people whom simply do not understand us. Yes, Mississippians need to figure out a way to educate more of our children so they can be at the top of the test score list and not the bottom. On the other hand, I must say Mississippi has come a long way but has a long way to go.
With all of that being said, I am proud to call Mississippi my home. After having the privilege to live in other states most of my adult life, I can truly say that the grass is definitely not greener on the other side. My husband and I was happy to leave Mississippi because we thought the grass was greener on the other side and also so we could give ourselves a better way of living financially. While the latter was and still is true for us, we were able to help ourselves out financially because Mississippi is limited in that department however the standard of living as far as morals and values and trying to raise a family is far more superior to any other state or country and I do mean country we have ever lived in. Now I do have to remember to put on my husk skin clothes because friends and family in Mississippi can say some pretty mean and harsh stuff but then 10 seconds later will give you the shoes off their feet and the coat off their back. As crazy as it may sound I miss that kind of TLC pure and true love at its finest and boy oh boy Sunday Meals. We ate like kings and queens from M-F and Sunday we ate like 3 meals, it felt like it was The Last Supper every Sunday the food was just that good.
My husband and I plan on going back to Mississippi later in life to live and finish raising our kids. We really miss Mississippi and sometimes thinking about it for me brings tears to my eyes. We do not regret leaving Mississippi to better our lives so I would never discourage anyone from leaving the nest and spreading their wings, however, my only warning is never put down what gave you the wings in the first place because although some skies my allow you to spread your wings some will also clip them off depending on the type of weather. But not at home, home is like a fair-weather friend whose skies are always friendly regardless if it is blue black or gray.
Home is like a loving mother it will give you everything you need to succeed and set you free to be successful but it will always be there when you need it no matter if you are successful or not, you are always welcomed as you are. Whereas a strange land or any place other than home is like strangers who are pleased & entertained by your gifts and talents but once they are gone they are no longer amused and therefore do not need you anymore. But home will always need/want you and it always saves a seat just for you. I do not know what home is for anyone, it could be a shelter home but regardless of its physicality where ever love reside I am pretty sure of most of you if not all consider it your Home. For me Mississippi is my home, I am not proud of some of its past history but I am excited and optimistic for its future.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Sunshine67, I'd just rep you all over the place if I could - thank you - and you're right, home is home - and we all need a good dose of optimism!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
I love Mississippi. LOVE IT. I defend this state every which way I can. We have our downfalls but, which state doesnt? Fattest state? You betcha! We love our food and with damn good reason. I constantly feel like im fighting an up hill battle with Hollywood and blame them soley responsible for the negative attention we citizens recieve. We aren't all rednecks. We're educated and racism? Please, I am willing to bet everything that people in the northern region such as, Boston, NYC etc etc etc are very more racist then anything i've encountered from our great state. I'm not speculating, ive seen and heard the northern "agression" for myself. The Movie "The Help" futher damaged our repuation. Once again, another movie about "the sipp" the portrays poverty and bigotry. So, to current citizens and future citizens, please take time to remember beautiful Mississippi. Here is a refresher into our great state. Please stand by.

- One small town in Mississippi – D'Lo – sent proportionally more men to serve in World War II than any other town in the country

-One of the world’s most prestigious dance events, the USA International Ballet Competition Not in New York. Not even California. Since 1979, the only place in the U.S. to see the International Ballet Competition has been in Mississippi.

-Some see the world in black and white. Others see varying shades of gray. But, Mississippi taught the world to see ... and hear ... the Blues. Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, W.C. Handy, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddly, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Milton, B.B. King ... they all travelled the most revered blues highway in the world – Mississippi’s Highway 61. Mississippi. Birthplace of the Blues

-Mississippian Dr. Arthur Guyton wrote the Textbook of Medical Physiology, used by medical students around the world since 1956.

-Mississippi consists of more black elected officials than any other state in the country – a number that grew from a mere 81 in 1970 to 897 in 2000.

-Oprah, Elvis, James Earl Jones, Jim Henson, Morgan Freeman, Muddy Waters, Lance Bass, Jimmy Buffett, Brett Favre, Conway Twitty, Sam Cooke, Faith Hill, William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams, John Grisham, Eudora Welty, Walter Payton, Eli Manning, Jerry Rice, Steve McNair.. and so much more all called Mississippi home.

-Mississippi was home to the first-ever heart transplant ... and the first-ever lung transplant ... and the first-ever kidney autotransplant.

-Worlds largest auto plant is in Canton, MS

-Stereo Manufacturer Peavey, Started in Mississippi.

-Pine-Sol, A Mississippi company.

-Viking appliances calls Mississippi home.

- Stennis Space Center. NASA’s primary center for testing and flight certifying rocket propulsion systems, Stennis tests all Space Shuttle Main Engines.

-Borden's Condensed Milk was first canned in Liberty, MS

-Barqs Root Beer, A Mississippi based company.

-The Teddy Bear was first incorpated in Mississippi after President Roosevelt refused to kill a bear cub in Onward, MS

-Mississippi was the first state in the nation to have a planned system of junior colleges.

- Cotton Capital of the World

-Catfish Capital of the World.

There is sooooooo many more pluses to this state then given credit for.
Barqs is from Mississippi for real? OK, now I love Mississippi, too!

Never have been there, but a neighbor of mine who had family down there said it is absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
I constantly feel like im fighting an up hill battle with Hollywood and blame them soley responsible for the negative attention we citizens recieve.
I blame Hollywood in general for portraying a bad image of this country.

I heard you like to fly the confederate flag. But on the movie "Dukes of Hazard", they got into hot water for painting a confederate flag on the roof on their car. Dmn you hollywood for brainwashing me.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
As a native Southerner (Kentucky) now living in California, I've always had respect for Mississippi.

I will admit that you could improve your public education system; however, I've long had that same criticism of Kentucky but it is finally trying to go in a somewhat correct, albeit struggling, direction.

Who knows? Hollywood may even give more positive press and film great movies and TV shows in Mississippi in years to come. The entertainment industry is slowly bleeding out of California because of excessive taxes, regulations and environment this-and-that by L.A., L.A. County and the state. I love California, but the "Occupy mob" mentality you've seen on TV in San Francisco, L.A. and Oakland has long been manifested in more professional, educated, articulate, clean-cut form in Sacramento and as a result we're now in a mess. Hollywood has already developed a fairly strong presence in states like Texas, N. Carolina, Michigan, and Louisiana, which are about as far from Hollywood culturally as you can get in this country, so who knows?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
It's so funny that this is the top thread. As I type this I'm watching Mississippi Burning and I really don't have a positive view of the state.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's so funny that this is the top thread. As I type this I'm watching Mississippi Burning........
When would you have time? Since your join date of July, 2010, you have made 6500 posts. That's an average of over 13 posts a day. With all your posting, watching TV and whatever else you do sitting in that chair, one would suppose you are an invalid.

But it's good that you arm chair gladiators have an opinion, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi