Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,891 times

Advertisements

Does this state rank top 3 in terms of the least educated, most obese, and poorest in all the USA year after year? Yes, but I'd like to share my view of MS from a northerner that lived 4 years in Hattiesburg.

I can't speak about Jackson, or Oxford, but I did spend 5 years in Hattiesburg and a decent amount of time in Biloxi and Gulfport, which I would travel to 2-3 times a month just to mix things up a bit.

Plain and simple, if you're over 25 and single and looking another professional to settle down with, Hattiesburg is not where you want to be. There are far better places with more opportunity if you fall into that situation. It's a decent place to raise a family and retire, but to single outsiders you will be hard pressed to find any enjoyment in the dating scene. College students by far will have the most enjoyment in Hattiesburg. It's a city of transition, as it is home to Camp Shelby and USM. I found it very easy to make friends.

Pros: No snow, low property tax, highways are not at all crowded, great food, no city tax, USM sports.

Cons: Lack of things to do relative to other cities, humid, higher auto insurance rates, you pay an additional 2% tax on fast food and dining, corruption in the city office, risk of hurricane, miles and miles of unincorporated land until you get to the next city, (59 south to the coast is a very boring drive) Oak Grove school system is over crowded, expensive car tags.

I'm sure plenty of people who have lived in MS all their lives and no where else will defend the state up and down, but just like any place it has it's pluses and minuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM

41 posts, read 109,964 times
I agree, if one were single and looking to mingle, Hattiesburg would be a difficult time.

However, if you do have friends or a significant other, Hattiesburg can be pretty cool. It doesn't have a wealth of art or history museums, but there is a fair share of arts and entertainment.

- Live At Five occurs every Friday in April and October and features live music on an outdoor stage at Town Square Park. Local businesses and organizations sell food and drinks.

- Festival South will be returning for its third year. The festival spans two weeks and features all kinds of music at different venues throughout the city.

- This weekend is the Downtown Crawfish Jam. More live music. Crawfish.

A couple weeks ago we had Hubfest. Last weekend was the Spring Art Walk. Every Thursday one can go to the downtown farmers' market. USM football, basketball, and baseball games almost year round. William Carey soccer is fun, too. The city has like eight gyms.... The Long Leaf Trace for biking, walking, jogging. Tatum Park has adult soccer leagues, or get some friends together to play some pickup soccer or baseball/softball. If all else fails, you can always go to Keg & Barrel or one of the other bars around town.

If you're bored in Hattiesburg, you're probably just not trying hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi