U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, MD
3,240 posts, read 3,288,457 times
Reputation: 3010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
What the hell does Christianity have to do with bullying blacks or gays? You're not very well versed on scripture.
When did I say that? Look at my quote, I said if Mississippi had fewer fundamentalist Christians and didn't have intense old timey racism and homophobia, young people might actually want to move there instead of being frightened and depressed at the prospect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 PM
 
270 posts, read 499,493 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
When did I say that? Look at my quote, I said if Mississippi had fewer fundamentalist Christians and didn't have intense old timey racism and homophobia, young people might actually want to move there instead of being frightened and depressed at the prospect.
You said, "If Mississippi abandoned fundamental Christianity they would get a lot of people." Then you add to your argument that people are homophobes and treat blacks poorly. So is your point that if Mississippi was to become secular and lose their dependence upon Christian teaching, they would become more tolerable of homosexuals and treat blacks better?

If I misinterpreted your point, I'm sorry. If I understand your point then you are making an illogical argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
What the hell does Christianity have to do with bullying blacks or gays? You're not very well versed on scripture.
You misinterpreted the post. Religion does have an effect on the treatment of homosexuals, which deter them from feelings safe in the state. Totally accurate assessment.
Treatment of opposite races are based on tradition (Christianity is tradition) and lack of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
 
270 posts, read 499,493 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You misinterpreted the post. Religion does have an effect on the treatment of homosexuals, which deter them from feelings safe in the state. Totally accurate assessment.
Treatment of opposite races are based on tradition (Christianity is tradition) and lack of education.
Can you explain your point? I'm not going to dally with the religion word because that's too broad. What God says through his word is that homosexuality is wrong and he is very clear about that. Now I have all sorts of problems as do most. Now if I had a pornography problem and came out and understand that watching sex is a sin, yet I continue to do it, then I'm a hypocrite. However if I admit I have an addiction and confess my sin, and work towards it, then it's a different story.

The problem here isn't homosexuals. We are all sinners. The problem is that when we justify sin is what leads us down the wrong path. That's my entire point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,549 posts, read 9,423,459 times
Reputation: 6717
Can anyone provide recent examples of where blacks were "bullied" by whites in Mississippi, and evidence that these were not isolated events, but part of a pattern of systemic intimidation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
 
833 posts, read 1,472,802 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Can you explain your point? I'm not going to dally with the religion word because that's too broad. What God says through his word is that homosexuality is wrong and he is very clear about that. Now I have all sorts of problems as do most. Now if I had a pornography problem and came out and understand that watching sex is a sin, yet I continue to do it, then I'm a hypocrite. However if I admit I have an addiction and confess my sin, and work towards it, then it's a different story.

The problem here isn't homosexuals. We are all sinners. The problem is that when we justify sin is what leads us down the wrong path. That's my entire point.
Very well stated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,037 posts, read 31,425,067 times
Reputation: 13842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Can anyone provide recent examples of where blacks were "bullied" by whites in Mississippi, and evidence that these were not isolated events, but part of a pattern of systemic intimidation?
Well I agree blacks aren't bullied by whites anymore, in fact sometimes it works the other way around. Both races still see gays as fair game though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Can you explain your point? I'm not going to dally with the religion word because that's too broad. What God says through his word is that homosexuality is wrong and he is very clear about that. Now I have all sorts of problems as do most. Now if I had a pornography problem and came out and understand that watching sex is a sin, yet I continue to do it, then I'm a hypocrite. However if I admit I have an addiction and confess my sin, and work towards it, then it's a different story.

The problem here isn't homosexuals. We are all sinners. The problem is that when we justify sin is what leads us down the wrong path. That's my entire point.
My point is, the gay community isn't bothering you. Why bother them?
I support a community of people who want freedom. I don't support the persecution of a person because of something that is out of their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: South Portland, ME
889 posts, read 1,016,064 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011
What the hell does Christianity have to do with bullying blacks or gays? You're not very well versed on scripture.
Because Christians are generally the idiots who are doing that kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times
Reputation: 4442
We're getting lots of VISIT GULF COAST commercials here in the Northeast. They're doing a nice job of selling LA, MS, AL

wish they'd show more MS beaches.. which I think are stunning... I love the beach at Pass Christian (spelling?)
Maine beaches can be nice... but no white sand like down there and.. b-r-r-r

Things that impressed me about MS
Rest Area were clean and the folks working Info booth offered me coke or coffee.. I thought how civilized
Natchez Parkway.. though I have somewhat of a lead foot.. bad me
Beaches (as I've mentioned)
Seafood..
The only time I saw a Thai buffet was in Jackson (ok that might not impress the normal Joe but it impressed me.. LOL)

Maybe sell these aspects of the state?
I'm not much into music but I've seen documentaries on the Blues in MS..
I'm not into gambling (I keep thinking God would send me a lightning strike) but they could sell that to folks so inclined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top