U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 769,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
Okay BradfromNO I'll remember that Biloxi and Gulfport are more tourist and perhaps "seedy" than the other towns. They seemed to have more places to stay and things to do. MS seemed to be slower paced and more relaxing depending on your choice of activities yet still a few things to see and do. I definitely want to see Long Beach, Pass Christian and Bay St Louis. Do you have an opinion on them?

p-squared - would you say Darwell's Cafe, Pirates Cove in Pass Christian or BB's Po Boys in Ocean Springs are better?
Little Ray's has very good po boys and there are several in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM

30 posts, read 25,890 times
Default Feelings About the Gulf Coast?

We are coming down for a visit next month. I wondered if anyone has any comments about life there and living there?

I previously stated that although we are staying in Biloxi, we are interested in maybe Long Beach.

Reasons were:
  • School ratings are high yet their sizes are not overly large
  • Low crime in in both Long Beach and neighboring Pass Christian
  • Close enough to work in Gulfport or possibly even Biloxi yet still small
Any suggestions for other towns/areas similar or input on Long Beach itself? Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM

355 posts, read 897,531 times
Be sure to look at Ocean Springs while you're down there too. It's a great place to live.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,865,951 times
Yeah, I've recommended Ocean Springs so many times I feel repetitive. But - like everyone else - we just like it!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 AM

Default Two For Ocean Springs

Thank you for answering this post. We will go over to Ocean Springs and visit as it does keep popping up.
  • Can you tell me if it's any bigger/crowded or touristy than Long Beach?
  • Is there a a lot of traffic or congestion?
  • How about rentals available (definitely rental at first) and their average cost for 2bd/2b? Renters insurance?
  • If you have or know children in school there aren't they a little larger and how do you find them?
  • What is it about Ocean Springs that makes you live there or suggest it?
  • Is there something to take the children to see something while we are looking around (doesn't have to be big just something to do) and then go to a reasonalbly priced lunch (again suggestions please). Should we walk around and where should we park?
Thank you for taking the time to answer it is really helpful. Be down in a couple weeks!!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 5,406 times
Definitely check out Ccean Springs and Bay Saint Louis. Ocean springs has the cutest downtown, alot of locally owned establishments. It is known as an artists community so there are several art fairs and festivals. The Grocery is a bar/restaurant on Government St. that regularly has live music and a good outdoor patio. The staff is always really nice, especially the bartenders. Chef Scotts on Washington is a great sushi spot but can be very busy with a long wait, it is BYOB as well. Ocean springs is beautiful with old architecture and tree lined streets, but that's primarily when you're in downtown or the surrounding area. I'm always blown away by the beautiful neighborhoods in the summer when everything is green. The beach in Ocean Springs is family friendly and there are always people down there playing volleyball, fishing, and barbequing. The marina is right there too so you will see plenty of boats. When Mardi Gras comes around, downtown is fun for the parades.

BSL is my other favorite coastal town as it too is very charming. The Mockingbird, which is in Old Town is a local cafe/bar that was an old home converted after the storm, it also has a yoga studio upstairs. I'm not sure if they still have live music on Thursday nights but that is always fun. People bring their dogs, sit outside, eat a "mockingburger", drink a lazy magnolia beer, and dance. Be sure to check out Second Saturday too! There are cute shops in old town BSl with antiques, vintage clothing, art galleries, and gifts. Hope this helps! I miss the coast and can't wait to go back!

Last edited by MollyLinn; 05-28-2012 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 AM

Check out Old Town Bay Saint Louis's website

Bay St. Louis Old Town Mississippi Coast Beach Town

Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 AM

Default Ocean Springs/BSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyLinn View Post
Definitely check out Ccean Springs and Bay Saint Louis. Ocean springs has the cutest downtown, alot of locally owned establishments.
BSL is my other favorite coastal town as it too is very charming. I miss the coast and can't wait to go back!
Thanks for answering. Did you leave due to Katrina? And do you plan to come back? A little over two weeks left until we arrive so any and all advice is very helpful. One of the reasons that we wanted to visit is to find out what it's really like in person. Things are not always as they appear on screen.

We definitely plan to check out BSL and Ocean Springs to look around. I'll look for the places you menioned. The schools are rated high in Ocean Springs, Pass Christian and Long Beach although Ocean Springs seems to be getting a little large in size. I haven't had any responses abut Long Beach yet though and I'm not too sure why. One could visit as a tourist and go around the coast but settling in to stay could be in a low-key area too. Then you could go to the other towns on the weekends. Does anyone want to share how they like living on the coast?

Thanks for the other places to add to the list. There is a place called Darwell's which seems to have very good ratings in Long Beach and we hope to go there.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 PM

I actually came down after Katrina as an AmeriCorps member to help rebuild the Coast, I fell in love with the South and now call Mississippi my adopted home state, ha. Even though I am not from there I lived there for about 3 years so I got to know the area. I don't know much about the schools except what you already said about Ocean Springs being highly rated. Not sure if you are considering consider Catholic school but Saint Stanislaus (all boys, 7-12) and Our Lady Academy (all girls, 7-12) are in BSL and Saint Patricks (co-ed) is in Biloxi. Saint Patricks was actually rated one of the top 50 Catholic high schools in the country in 2010. From what I have read and heard, they are all very respectable schools.

I have never been to Darwells but a friend of mine always had good things to say. Shaggy's in Pass Christian is right on the water on Highway 90 and is a pretty fun place when it's nice out. If you find yourself in Biloxi and need a place to eat check out the Filling Station, it's just north of 90 on Howard Ave. The area looks vacant though because of the storm but slowly but surely it will come back. Again, I love this restaurant for its vibe and outdoor patio, be sure to get the Crawfish and Pepper Piroux, but anything there will be good.

As for living on the Coast, I loved it and always felt right at home. The neighborhood I lived in was just north of the Lighthouse on 90 on Seal Ave and again, I loved it. It's an historic street and there is alot of pride. I found that when I lived on Benachi, just a few blocks west of Seal, everyone was so friendly and always wanted to say hi. My roommate and I would sit on the front porch and everyone walking bye would hollar at us. People down there want to talk to you just cause, and I like that. I live in Denver and I find it so unfriendly, you say hi and people don't even look at you. I will say though that sometimes I found myself bored but generally there's always some sort of festival or fair going on, especiailly during Mardi Gras and into the summer. It was always nice to have New Orleans and Mobile just to the west or east. You can always go into NOLA for the day and it's not a hassle. From BSL it would probably be an hour and from Ocean Springs it would be about 90 minutes, super easy down 10. Fairhope is on the Mobile Bay and is a gorgeous, picturesque town and is definitely worth checking out when you move to the coast.

Other activites would be going to minor league ball game, New Orleans has the Zephyrs and Mobile has the Bay Bears. The Coast actually has a minor league hockey team too and they are the Sea Wolves.

Again, I hope this helps!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM

817 posts, read 1,328,947 times
Long Beach has a nice beach and is fairly quiet since most of the homes along the beach were destroyed in Katrina. The marina and yacht club are nice. There is a tiny main street and otherwise Long Beach is all residential homes. It is somewhat spread out and feels semi rural. The schools are highly rated and the community is very safe. You don't hear about it because it doesn't have the quaint downtowns of Bay St Louis or Ocean springs or the historic mansions of Pass Christian. And it's not busy and bustling like Gulfport and Biloxi. It is uncrowded and away from the urbanized areas along the Coast. It has a nice restaurant perched about 30 feet above the water with great views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi