Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 AM

30 posts, read 52,600 times

Advertisements

Coming down to the Gulf Coast - finally - to check it out as we plan to move within the next year or so. It's a long trip for us but I think definitely worth it. Lived on the Atlantic a few miles inland in Florida before moving way up north so I am not coming completely blind.

For a family what do you think about Long Beach. Schools? Crime? Can you get a decent place to rent (at first) for $800-$950? How much would basic renters insurance cost. Most of all, do you like it? Is it laid back, not too expensive with just enough to do? What do you think? We would really like an opinion before we get there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I know nothing about Long Beach, but I lived in Ocean Springs 3 years and it is a nice town.
One thing you need to consider about living on the coast. Hurricanes. During my time on the coast, we had Katrina and that ruined living on the coast for me.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Default Coastal Living Opinons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I know nothing about Long Beach, but I lived in Ocean Springs 3 years and it is a nice town.
One thing you need to consider about living on the coast. Hurricanes. During my time on the coast, we had Katrina and that ruined living on the coast for me.
Thanks for answering. Lucked out in the hurricane arena. The only one that ever came close was Floyd and it turned out to sea about 10 miles before it came so the disruption was minimal. Andrew destroyed the homes of a lot of co-workers further south and they suffered terribly.

Do you think the area has recovered in the past seven years? I assume you left, do you miss it?

Still looking for opinions about living on the coast.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
T

Do you think the area has recovered in the past seven years? I assume you left, do you miss it?
The coast is recovering. Ocean Springs is probably close to 100%. I did leave and I do miss the area. But I have gotten old and I don't want to have to worry about hurricanes from June to November.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 AM

7 posts, read 11,013 times
I have family all over the coast, hurricanes are a variable, but so are very very nasty tornadoes across the plains and the south.....at least the coast is WARNED- so let's put that aside

Ocean Springs is coming back so is Pass Christian, living in coastal MS is not like living anywhere else in MS, it might as well not be in MS in my opinion...don't overlook AL coast and Orange Beach area, or the Panhandle of FL

Coastal living can be super, coastal areas tend to attract people from all over, from different disciplines and cultures as well, which can be a good learning experience every day

My opinion

Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelsInAtemple View Post
I have family all over the coast, hurricanes are a variable, but so are very very nasty tornadoes across the plains and the south.....at least the coast is WARNED- so let's put that aside

Ocean Springs is coming back so is Pass Christian, living in coastal MS is not like living anywhere else in MS, it might as well not be in MS in my opinion...don't overlook AL coast and Orange Beach area, or the Panhandle of FL

Coastal living can be super, coastal areas tend to attract people from all over, from different disciplines and cultures as well, which can be a good learning experience every day

My opinion
Thank you for your thoughts. We are looking at coastal FL but it seems to have a different flavor and something about MS keeps calling out. I'm not quite sure what it is but I will see if I can find out when we get there.

Any insight into things such as schools on the coast, crime, housing (rental at first) and if insurance for renters is available and/or semi-reasonable.

Anyhow, here we come (to visit for now)! Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
We are looking at coastal FL but it seems to have a different flavor and something about MS keeps calling out.
Before Katrina the Mississippi coast had a very different flavor than the Florida panhandle. Instead of condos, Highway 90 had grand old houses, beautiful trees, and more character than the Florida panhandle. It seemed more real and down to earth instead of a tourist trap. That isn't to say that Florida or Alabama coastal towns are bad, just different.

Maybe the little bit of unique character that is left is what you are picking up on.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times
If you're into cars, there's event called Crusin' the Coast which happens every year in October. Best event in MS hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi