U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
41 posts, read 92,590 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Interesting that MS gets the #1 spot. I would have thought a more populated state would get the honor - somewhere like New York, California, New Jersey.

While I was surprise, it wasn't a total shock. I have found Southern drivers to completely neglect the rules of the road (turn signals, changing lanes in intersections, rampant running of red lights.... to name a few).

Bottom Line - Buckle up: The most dangerous states for drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,632,069 times
Reputation: 7897
I don't read, watch or believe anything coming from MSNBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
41 posts, read 92,590 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't read, watch or believe anything coming from MSNBC.
Is this better?

The Most Dangerous States to Drive In | Fox Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Northwest Hills, CT
352 posts, read 632,064 times
Reputation: 239
I'm surprised, it seems to me drivers in MS aren't as crazy as they are here in CT. I'm shocked that Massachusetts is ranked the LOWEST. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,632,069 times
Reputation: 7897
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblackwell99 View Post
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,235 posts, read 4,207,472 times
Reputation: 11627
Mississippi driving seems more like South Louisiana driving, every day. New Orleans drivers can best be described as criminally incompetent. But Mississippi also borders Tennessee, whose drivers seem intent upon hostile aggression: fast and mean. And both influences seem to be creeping into Mississippi. Combine the two trends, and you get something really scary: drivers who seem justified in a crusade to punish those who abide by the law (and to punish those who betray, however slightly, disapproval of those who speed and otherwise drive badly).

The term used to be "plumb crazy". The po folks speeding in their hoopties, without insurance, are plumb crazy. And the drunk rich folks haulin' derrière at seventy miles an hour, down Jackson's narrow & dangerous Old Canton Road, in their Mercedes, on the way back from drinkin' at the Country Club, are plumb crazy, too.

And that's just for starters: now, there are meth-addicted ex frat-rats going berserk, if they catch you going only ten miles over the speed limit, when they want to go thirty mph over the limit. They feel entitled. One tried to block a street in his dark green Suburban (blondish, early-middle-age, big guy, with a Colonel Reb decal on the rear windshield...natch), to 'teach a lesson to' (and probably murder) a friend of mine who wasn't speeding enough to suit him.

Someone else was maintaining the speed limit on hwy 49 South, when a dark Corvette with a tan top (I keep descriptions, and pass them along to pertinent parties) barreled up behind her, then pulled up beside her. The drug dealer was looking into her car, she looked over and mumbled something. He then pulled ahead of her and slammed on his brakes....as in to a complete stop. Had someone been coming over the hill behind them, this would have been plain-ol' murder. Luckily, my friend was in a Swedish car with better brakes than a Corvette's. She stopped far enough from him, for him to not easily shoot her, which maybe would have been the next step.

It's that group-think sense of entitlement... some sort of sick need to enforce the Lowest Common Denominator of pack behavior... that makes Mississippi driving so horrible. That's why you guys have to put up with idiots who (implicitly) say, "Well, everybody drinks a little and drives, so it's OK.", and "Oh, you really don't expect me to put on my seatbelt! Nobody really does that!", and "Well, ya gotta keep up with the other drivers! Everybody drives at least ----- miles an hour!", and "Aw, come on! You don't really need to use your turning signal when you change lanes. Nobody does that!"

Intolerance is highly underrated. And until Mississippians become more vocally intolerant of drinking and speeding and ignoring everything they teach in Driver's Education, things are just going to keep on getting worse. "Fitting-in" and "going with the flow" are far less important, IMHO, than are behaving prudently, and remaining alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,070 posts, read 2,115,243 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Mississippi driving seems more like South Louisiana driving, every day. New Orleans drivers can best be described as criminally incompetent. But Mississippi also borders Tennessee, whose drivers seem intent upon hostile aggression: fast and mean. And both influences seem to be creeping into Mississippi. Combine the two trends, and you get something really scary: drivers who seem justified in a crusade to punish those who abide by the law (and to punish those who betray, however slightly, disapproval of those who speed and otherwise drive badly).

The term used to be "plumb crazy". The po folks speeding in their hoopties, without insurance, are plumb crazy. And the drunk rich folks haulin' derrière at seventy miles an hour, down Jackson's narrow & dangerous Old Canton Road, in their Mercedes, on the way back from drinkin' at the Country Club, are plumb crazy, too.

And that's just for starters: now, there are meth-addicted ex frat-rats going berserk, if they catch you going only ten miles over the speed limit, when they want to go thirty mph over the limit. They feel entitled. One tried to block a street in his dark green Suburban (blondish, early-middle-age, big guy, with a Colonel Reb decal on the rear windshield...natch), to 'teach a lesson to' (and probably murder) a friend of mine who wasn't speeding enough to suit him.

Someone else was maintaining the speed limit on hwy 49 South, when a dark Corvette with a tan top (I keep descriptions, and pass them along to pertinent parties) barreled up behind her, then pulled up beside her. The drug dealer was looking into her car, she looked over and mumbled something. He then pulled ahead of her and slammed on his brakes....as in to a complete stop. Had someone been coming over the hill behind them, this would have been plain-ol' murder. Luckily, my friend was in a Swedish car with better brakes than a Corvette's. She stopped far enough from him, for him to not easily shoot her, which maybe would have been the next step.

It's that group-think sense of entitlement... some sort of sick need to enforce the Lowest Common Denominator of pack behavior... that makes Mississippi driving so horrible. That's why you guys have to put up with idiots who (implicitly) say, "Well, everybody drinks a little and drives, so it's OK.", and "Oh, you really don't expect me to put on my seatbelt! Nobody really does that!", and "Well, ya gotta keep up with the other drivers! Everybody drives at least ----- miles an hour!", and "Aw, come on! You don't really need to use your turning signal when you change lanes. Nobody does that!"

Intolerance is highly underrated. And until Mississippians become more vocally intolerant of drinking and speeding and ignoring everything they teach in Driver's Education, things are just going to keep on getting worse. "Fitting-in" and "going with the flow" are far less important, IMHO, than are behaving prudently, and remaining alive.
Don't forget about the drivers going 55 miles per hour on the interstate, causing a hazard for everyone else. One extreme to the other with some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,235 posts, read 4,207,472 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Don't forget about the drivers going 55 miles per hour on the interstate, causing a hazard for everyone else. One extreme to the other with some people.
Thank you for perfectly illustrating precisely the mentality I was describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,070 posts, read 2,115,243 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thank you for perfectly illustrating precisely the mentality I was describing.
Not sure what you mean by that. It's just as dangerous to drive 55 miles per hour in a 70 mph zone, even if everyone were going 70 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
 
9 posts, read 56,873 times
Reputation: 40
I'm not sure how Mississippi got the worst drivers unless they looked at uninsured drivers. The worst drivers I've met have been on I-15 in Utah going into Wyoming. Tenn around Nashville was pretty ugly too. Illinios took the longest to get across as the speed limit was 65 miles per hour. (don't know if it still is) Calif is use to heavy traffic..so when you signal to move over you most often have a opening. In Utah, Colorado, Wyo, a turn signal means hurry up, and speed up, so that car can get behind you In Mississippi it is the yielding... they simply expect you to let them in. Arkansas was the same way. But the worst, no, I reserve that for the west where it's legal in certain places on 1-15 to drive 80 miles per hour, and the rest of the interstate it is 75.

Last edited by samanthastar22; 06-02-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top