U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,295,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
Might you explain to the rest of us how it is possible 'to debate race relations' without someone being offended? It is entirely IMpossible. There are people, surely as you know, who make not
only a life, but a living off being offended and by claiming victimhood.
Debate away, and you are correct - some offense will be taken somewhere, by someone, whether justified or not - I am talking about the name-slinging that is coming along with this thread. However, if the debate is truly over race relations, it doesn't belong in the Mississippi forum....nor does anything having to do with Jena, as to my knowledge it is not in Mississippi. Neither Texas nor California or any other state was mentioned in the subsequent posts.

There are those who are capitalizing on the Jena situation who know nothing of it. And there are those who will randomly attempt to associate that situation with other regions of the country, again, knowing nothing of it.

I think you said 'we are about to get wildly off topic here'. Might you remind us what your version of the topic is then? As I recall, it was an assertion or stated impression that the Mississippi Delta might (arguably) be similar to Jena in some manner. I know nothing of Jena. I do have precise knowledge of the Mississippi Delta, having lived there for four decades and visited regularly for two more.
And having lived in the Delta myself, I feel as qualified as the next person to comment. My statement was directed at the personal attacks that were starting...and THAT would be off topic and subjecting the entire thread to being moved to Controversies or shut down. It may have been a "stated impression" to you that this had something to do with Jena, but that was NOT the OP's question

Lest we all get lost, this was the original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
As a student of American life I am curious about the sociology of this region.

Are there race issues at the political/statutory level?

In the social realm, what is the extent of integration?

Are there still racial taboos?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-26-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,216,202 times
To get back to the original question, I believe we still have more elected African American officials than any other state. There is still a lot of "social segregation" in the Delta, mostly by choice. I think most churches are segregated too. That doesn't apply to all of the state, however. I'm not sure what you mean by "racial taboos".

Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 PM

99 posts, read 178,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
To get back to the original question, I believe we still have more elected African American officials than any other state. There is still a lot of "social segregation" in the Delta, mostly by choice. I think most churches are segregated too. That doesn't apply to all of the state, however. I'm not sure what you mean by "racial taboos".
I think by 'racial taboos' the author of the comment was hoping to somehow establish that it might perhaps be taboo to interract inter-racially or to (gasp) whistle at those of another race. Otherwise, I'm not sure what he meant by taboo. I conclude that his notions are simply anachronistic, non-fact-based perceptions that lead to idle chatter and false commentary.

There are racially charged altercations in every town in every county in every state in this country, every day. There is nothing particularly atypical or demonstrably important about the fact that this event occurred in the South, although there's quite a puddle of ill-intentioned folks wishing that it were true.

And, yes, it is a fact that the State of Mississippi has more black elected officials than any of the other 49 states. But, why are we getting so defensive as to push that fact out in front?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 AM

34 posts, read 115,913 times
Don B: I am vague but not inarticulate. You are clearly not totally confused by my questions. You detected bias and acted defensively so you understood the general thrust of my questions: How are race relations bad in the Mississippi Delta? A general question that could be answered broadly.

"These sound like some vacant-headed questions a liberal professor might have penned. If you or he care to be more specific and make just a bit more sense, I'll be glad to respond."
I admit I am condescending in how I assumed the nature of responses yet I asked an ostensibly open question, but you too are a snooty fellow who pretends to be cooperative.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 AM

356 posts, read 1,216,202 times
The OP asked about "racial relations at the political/statuatory level" so that's why I mentioned the number of blacks in elected offices. I don't consider that being defensive.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

55,577 posts, read 74,459,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
As a student of American life I am curious about the sociology of this region.

Are there race issues at the political/statutory level?

In the social realm, what is the extent of integration?

Are there still racial taboos?
i see my prior post was omitted sooooo

as usual when i see a post i look for flags.
flag 1
i am a student
flag 2
lets talk bout racial issues

i am intererted in (pick a subject) sociology, banking something blah blah blah
now back to race, race race racism racial racist race race race race
i mean you are a WASP with a burning sense of curiosity and enormous focus on RACE issues in the south am i getting it?
is this where i am supposed to stick my head out and say swing?
im the new guy and wana make sure i am with the program.
thanks
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,053 times
race relationships in the delta have improved. I've been back home for 5 years and I've found that thoes that felt they could supress the masses relize that one can not go highter if all efforts are spent on keeping others down.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 PM

46 posts, read 181,173 times
American Life you need to find another state. There is no story here.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,724 times
American Life, I think you have you answer. Obviously, it is next to impossible for these people to even discuss the issue. It may be news to those in the Delta, but people of good will can actually discuss racial issues--in fact respectful discussions of racial differences, similarities, and misconceptions are key to improving relations among people of different cultures. I do believe it would be difficult to find similarities between the situation in Jena LA and the Delta----the Delta has virtually no integrated schools. Whites go to private schools while blacks go to woefully inadequate public schools which are usually 98-100 black. Very sad.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,248,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
American Life, I think you have you answer. Obviously, it is next to impossible for these people to even discuss the issue. It may be news to those in the Delta, but people of good will can actually discuss racial issues--in fact respectful discussions of racial differences, similarities, and misconceptions are key to improving relations among people of different cultures. I do believe it would be difficult to find similarities between the situation in Jena LA and the Delta----the Delta has virtually no integrated schools. Whites go to private schools while blacks go to woefully inadequate public schools which are usually 98-100 black. Very sad.
And you know all this, how? Do you live there? Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi