U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM

44 posts, read 88,207 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just got a job offer in Oxford and am considering moving from Florida. The salary is nothing exceptional but the work will be really amazing. I am a bit nervous about the location though because I will be moving with my wife, daughter and 2 on the way. So far I've heard two things about this town: 1) it's a big party town due to ole miss and 2) it's very southern/christian/conservative.

So to address 1) we are looking for a nice place to raise our little family and hope that it's no overshadowed by parties and drunk 20 year olds. Don't get me wrong I partake here and there but I don't want it to be the theme of our place to live. To address 2) I would love to experience the southern charm, culture and food. However I'm not interested in being bashed with religion and closed mindedness. I"m hoping the college will be conductive to the town being progressive because I will be miserable if not. No disrespect to anyone, I just want to be sure it's a good fit for us and would love to hear all opinions.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,783 times
Oxford is gorgeous...hard to wrong living in Oxford.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM

379 posts, read 1,080,801 times
First, Oxford is very much a college town, and with the exception of the summer, is mostly dominated by the students. Most things in Oxford revolve around social gatherings, generally with cocktails. It is a party town, without question. However, alcohol is not sold on Sundays (with a few exceptions).

Second, it is mainly Conservative. There are some progressives in town but it is pretty limited to the faculty of Ole Miss, trial lawyers, and artists. And the big wigs in town, if their church needs any of the rules bent, the good ole boy network is right there to bend them.

With that being said, it can be a pretty nice town for a family. The schools are good, the music scene is pretty decent, plenty of sports and there are a couple of nice parks.

I would say...you need to visit first. And preferably during the school year or a football game so you can see if you can handle the atmosphere because it is certainly not for everyone. And also preferably to other parts of town rather than just the Square. When people just visit the Square, or just campus, they get caught up thinking it is some utopia when it is not quite like that.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM

44 posts, read 88,207 times
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting, and yes I will come visit prior to moving out there. The conservatives/church aspect is kind of scaring me right now...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM

379 posts, read 1,080,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting, and yes I will come visit prior to moving out there. The conservatives/church aspect is kind of scaring me right now...
No problem. You will probably not notice it on your visit, and it may not ultimately bother you, but to get your voice heard here, you will really need to have lots of money and have clout. It being a very much blue blood town & school, that generally means your family is from here (or near here) with money and political pull.

Don't get me wrong, Oxford is still very much a nice town, and can be very enjoyable, but that aspect is definitely my least favorite, although this is certainly not unique to just Oxford. Another thing I've noticed is, the lifestyle is slow here (of course, it's MS right?), but not in the exact traditional sense you may be thinking of. Most all of the professionals went to school here, many of them entitled, and so on a Friday, around 2 or 3, their friends may be in town and they will just decide to leave the office on no notice (whatever it may be: banking, law, real estate, etc.) and you may have something important & can be left high & dry. They will get around to you maybe sometime next week, and generally do a good job, but it's definitely a little bit of a slap in the face as the customer. And of course, this is not always true, but I've noticed it happen quite a bit in my field.

Just to clarify: I actually really do enjoy Oxford, but there are some downfalls including housing. But, there is nothing quite like driving down Lamar with the beautiful trees in the Fall. This town is also pretty good for foodies. So, if you want to go to Snackbar, City Grocery (just google them for more info) or another upscale restaurant, you can have an absolutely fantastic dinner and not being bothered by the students.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,067,541 times
It's also an hour or so from Memphis. Lots to do for a family there -- world class zoo, lauded children's museum (according to AAA mag), civil rights museum, food, looming theater district, professional sports, etc.

You get the benefits of small southern college town living with easy access to larger city's amenities if you ever need it.

If you're concerned with religion, make sure your stay includes a Sunday so you get a feel of a place when many residents might flock to a church -- traffic, conversations, crowds at restaurants, etc.

Not having lived in a small town, I don't have any suggestions, I just know that, in Memphis, they can be religious, with tons of traffic on Sundays, and crowds and stuff, but that belies a reality that there are many, many folks who aren't religious who feel at home there. But that's a larger population. I am guessing most people can manage it...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,564,372 times
I would have to say that Oxford is the best little town in Mississippi. It's preferable over Jackson and probably competes only with the Gulf Coast cities and towns in terms of live-ability.

Yeah, folks will be conservative there even to the point of trying to get a constitutional amendment to revive University sanction of a deposed sports mascot.

One response suggested visiting on gameday. You should do that to see how traffic is totally screwed up on the day that the likes of Alabama or LSU is visiting. You know, you may like the gameday function in the Grove. It's a bunch of upper middle class white folks (some who wear red pants with a blue blazer) and their children and it's probably the only thing to do in Oxford unless you get a sitter and go check out the music scene (which is really good for Mississippi).

The University offers more functions than just football ("beer and circus"). They have pretty good lecture series speakers and many times these lectures are offered in the evenings. The University's many department websites list when and where these speakers will come to town and stir up the locals with their "foreign ideas."

I remember going there for work for a week and I caught Jello Biafra (he really angered the locals) and a lecture with Dr. Peter Breggin, a psychiatric reformer who rails against Big Pharma.

If I had to live in Mississippi again, I'd choose either Gulfport or Oxford, but hopefully it never comes to that.

Last edited by DiogenesofJackson; 07-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: correct typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi