Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,567,156 times

Advertisements

Yes Manna! Little Dooey was the name of it. It's been so long that I'd forgotten!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,054 times
Frisbee761, I am in the same boat as you...definitely upset about my hometown being trashed. I am a 26 year old African American woman who was born and raised in Columbus, MS (relocated to GA in 2000) so to hear someone speak poorly about Columbus made me want to chime in. I am a product of the public school system (Columbus High School class of 1999), honor student from K-12, scholarship offers from prestigious schools all across the country so I am definitely still supportive of the public school system. I have friends that went to Caledonia, New Hope, West Lowndes, Victory Christian, and the ever popular Heritage Academy and their AP coursework definitely did not compare to mine at CHS. The Mississippi School for Math and Science is a great school for kids that excel in math and science so if your kids have a thirst for either, I would suggest MSMS. Can the public school system stand a boost? Definitely. Columbus Municipal and about a million other school districts across the country. It bothers me to no end how some people are so quick to blame poor schools when 2 students can be in the same regular or AP class and one can excel and the other struggles. Sometimes you have to look at the student and think about how they can improve. Just because your child goes to public schools does not mean they are just doomed to fail. That kind of mentality will never help them succeed in even the best schools.

I lived in MS for 18 years, grew up on the north side of town near Hunt Intermediate (Hunt High School for those that remember) and had plenty of white friends at school and I can honestly say I have never experienced just blatant in your face racism. There are definitely very rude, racist and ignorant people in Columbus both black and white and that is everywhere you go. I live in Atlanta now and there is just as many racist and ignorant people as the next city, but don't generalize everyone for the mistakes of a few. Like Frisbee761 said, there is a very large religious community that will embrace you. My home church burned down a couple of years ago and while the congregation was dealing with finding another place to hold service, some of my family members started attending First Assembly Church which is a white church. The congregation was so welcoming and inviting to my Black family as if they had always belonged there. My aunt still takes her kids to Super Church (children's ministry) at least once a month because they love the experience and friendly members.

Columbus is a good town with good people and I still come home at least once a month to visit because even though I moved away, Columbus will always be my home. Steer clear of the closed minded, ignorant people. Yeah, there are some dirty stores there and have been for years and I can name countless dirty stores, restuarants and neighborhoods in the large metropolitan city of Atlanta. Columbus does not have all the glitz and glam of larger cities but its growing and changing but will still hold try to hold on to the small town southern ways.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 AM

9 posts, read 56,368 times
They are right about the AP classes in the city schools, but it's the environment that you don't want. I know a teacher that went from Columbus high to a county school and she said what you see and hear is like being in another world. At Columbus high the "F" word is spoken like the word "Hi" in the halls and the disrespect for teachers is horrible. If a child is in the AP route they will be with some of the better kids but at CHS that's not the majority. Take a look at GreatSchools.net. CHS has a ranking of 4!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 17,035 times
I've been in Columbus since 2001 and I hate it to the core. I'm a AA female and I haven't experienced outright prejudice maybe because the "town folk" are trying to figure out what I am. However like most issues such as race relations, things are swept under the rug. If you open your eyes you'll notice how certain establishments do not have and never had any AA people as employess (I.E. veterinarian offices). I've tried to work in such places. I come dressed appropriately, nice attitude, etc. and I get nothing. BUT, when I fill out an application for such things as maid services at hotels, etc, I tend to get call backs and offered jobs. I'm not making this up people! My husband refuses to move at this point and I'm making plans to leave with or without him especially now that they've finished building apartments practically in our back yard. TIME TO GO!

As far as schools, I have 2 kids, 8 and 13 and it's beyond pathetic. They can't take certain foods to school & they have to wear uniforms. What's next? Having a choice is no longer a choice anymore. Education you ask? Hah! Let's just call Mississippi, "la-z-town" or maybe even the "dead zone". I don't like the "old fashioned" attitude as if things changed, the whole town would go to **** in a hand basket. Wake up MS!

Ohh yeah. Mississippi is not the hospitality state, they're just realllllll good at smiling in your face. The Golden Triangle is an area of old money and folks, "dat ain't good."

ANYWAY, I'm looking into Southaven, Walls, Olive Branch (Northwest MS & Southwest TN areas). Any help will be appreciated. Sublets, rentals, roomates are all fine with me.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 21,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelknows View Post
We're being relocated from Arlington, TX to Columbus, Mississippi. Anybody have any information on Columbus? What is there to do there? What about the schools? Social life?

I moved to Hamilton which is right outside of Columbus and I have worked in Columbus for about 4 years. I dont really know that much about the schools I have heard that the city schools are awful but the county schools are ok. I do know that people from here are very clique(ish), but it gets better. What is there to do? Movies, Putt-Putt golf(not a very good one),Real golf,and there are a few good food places. Back porch also called the front door, Profitts porch,lil dooeys,zacherys,and the chain ones like applebees,chilis. All in all its not that bad but it is a shock when you move from somewhere busy and big to here. Also alot of people live right outside of Columbus like in Hamilton and New Hope. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,567,156 times
Actually the place was called Front Door/Back Door. I loved their oriental salad. Don't know if they still make it; haven't been there since I moved away in 2000.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM

24 posts, read 164,536 times
My experience with Mississippi, having lived in the Delta and NE MS ( and many other parts of the US), is that the quality of life is MUCH better in the NE areas. Mainly due to better economic and higher education opportunities. I have lived in Columbus for the last 2 years and also back in 2000. A lot of change has happened in the last few years. Mainly for the good, but it appears that the divide between the haves and have nots is growing. If you are relocating for work, then it must be a much better opportunity than you can find in Houston. If so, then you and your family will probably thrive here. As far as the people go, it is like houston on a smaller scale. Good and bad, can find them everywhere, but here, there is no escaping anything that may be uncomfortable. Everyone, regardless of race or ecomomic status, have to shop in the same grocery stores, same old navy, same fast food places. The "surburbs" don't have McDonalds. You can't get pizza delivery in Caledonia, but the schools are better. If you have grade school aged kids, look at annunciation catholic school also.
One thing people fail to mention about Columbus is the large number of non-locals. There is an air force base pilot training base here, so you can find folks from all parts of the country-so no one is ever really a noticeable outsider. There is also a college MS University for Women-the "W" (dubya) and we are about 20 min, from Starkville, home to MS State. Yes, it is difficult to blend with the "locals", but it is a very traditional town and my impression is the homegrown people are trying to hold on to the good parts of that. Who can blame them? It's a pretty decent history. Home to Tennessee Williams, still plenty of BEAUTIFUL antebellum architecture. As a nonlocal here because of the base, I have noticed that if you are into church, your social life will revolve around that. It is a very conservative town politically and socially and no level of education or exposure will change that. But, it is a pretty decent place to raise a family and in a good location geographically for weather (except in the spring-tornadoes) and for travel as many major cities are within a 1/2 day's drive.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,805 times
Default Things to do & places to eat

Food:
There is a FABULOUS restaurant in town named J. Broussard's ... they serve well prepared food and offer nightly specials. ( you won't want to miss the crabmeat augratin or the veal piccata! )

Harvey's is also a good restaurant offering dependably good food at reasonable prices. "Peppers" and "The Grill" are also quite good. The best sandwiches in town are served at "Proffitt's Porch" - a small hideaway restaurant with mostly outdoor seating (hummingbirds feed all around the porch in warm weather.)

Do NOT miss eating at "Ruben's" catfish house. The steaks are really good, but the all you can eat Catfish is their specialty. (seasonally they also serve boiled crawfish.)

"Little Dooey" offers great BBQ with lots of other options on the menu for those in your group who don't enjoy pulled pork/beef or ribs.

Society:
I've lived here for quite a long time now, but will admit that it was not an easy adjustment. If you have school age children, you will find that fitting in will be a bit easier. My kids attend a private school, where the parents are encouraged to be involved; this made our transition so much easier.
As with other cities, choosing a neighborhood with children gives the adults a QUICK introduction to each other!
The churches are SO warm and inviting. I have found that my best friends are the ones that I worship with.

Things to do:
There is an Arts Council that has something going on all the time.
In May, the "Market Street Festival" is a big event.
MS University for Women (The W) offers theatre. They also have a Culinary School - offering opportunities for diners to be guniea pigs ;-) for their students.
MS State University is a 25 minute drive from town, so there is almost always a sporting event to attend.
Columbus is in close proximity to several colleges/universities. It is in the same town as "The W", 30 minutes from MSU, 90 minutes from Ole Miss, 60 from "Alabama" and on and on.
Golfing. Hunting. Fishing. Bargain/Outlet Shopping. Horseback Riding.
Water Skiing. Ceramic Painting. Antebellum Home Touring.

(It is rarely too cold to go outside - though you may think it too hot at times.)

As with any town, you can focus on the positive or on the negative. Those who come in with a positive outlook might find that it is a wonderful, safe place to raise their children, and a peaceful place to retire.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 PM

557 posts, read 1,665,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedfemale View Post
Food:
There is a FABULOUS restaurant in town named J. Broussard's ... they serve well prepared food and offer nightly specials. ( you won't want to miss the crabmeat augratin or the veal piccata! )

Harvey's is also a good restaurant offering dependably good food at reasonable prices. "Peppers" and "The Grill" are also quite good. The best sandwiches in town are served at "Proffitt's Porch" - a small hideaway restaurant with mostly outdoor seating (hummingbirds feed all around the porch in warm weather.)

Do NOT miss eating at "Ruben's" catfish house. The steaks are really good, but the all you can eat Catfish is their specialty. (seasonally they also serve boiled crawfish.)

"Little Dooey" offers great BBQ with lots of other options on the menu for those in your group who don't enjoy pulled pork/beef or ribs.
I would agree with you on everything except Rubens. I would never recommend that place to anyone, in fact, I don't personally know *anyone* who thinks it is good. The best steaks and catfish in town are found at Martie's Fish and Steak. Old Hickory also has good steaks. Not Ruben's.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,763 times
Default In agreement

I am definitely in agreement with the last 2 posts; although, the last comments about Reuben's are true. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. For years, they had an excellent reputation. Over the past several years though, that rep has gone downhill. Don't waste your time, money, or taste buds there. If you want a steak, Ole Hickory is THE place. Hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi